graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Got Room For A "New" Hollies Fan?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Connie Post subject: Got Room For A "New" Hollies Fan?
Banjo

Banjo

Hey Y'all. I'm not really a new fan but I feel like one. I am a child of the 60's. I remember hearing all those great Hollies songs on the radio when I was growing up. As an eleven year old I spent my summer down at the recreation center splashing around in the pool all afternoon. I would hear Bus Stop at least 5 or 6 times a day. I loved it then and I love it now.

Afer I grew up and got maried, started a family and all that I sort of forgot about this great group. Out of earshot, out of mind, I guess. The Air That I Breathe is the last thing I remember hearing from them.

Funny, but I don't remember ever seeing the Hollies on TV back then. Until three months ago I didn't have faces or names to go with the great music I was hearing. All that changed one night as I was channel surfing. I came across a Public Television fund raiser. They were showing a British Invasion special. There was a clip of Carrie Anne. The next day I was googling, wikipedia-ing, and youtube-ing trying to catch up on all I missed.

My Hollies music collection consists of a greatest hits CD with 12 songs. Yes, I've been listening to the same 12 songs over and over all these years. I really need to start adding to my collection. I also have the Distant Light album given to me by my boyfriend at the time in 1973.

So here I am just starting out on the road to re-Hollie-fication. If you'll have me I'd love to join you fine people.

Connie
PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 17:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Welcome aboard, Connie.

Now that you seem ready to dip your toes into that ocean of great music put out by the Hollies, here's my suggestion.

Get an album or two of Hollies original material that was from the same time as your favorite Hollies hits. Elsewhere on this site you can find each of their albums, along with track listings.

In chronological order, I'll give a couple of suggestions for your first Hollies albums of non-compilation material:

1. In The Hollies Style (1964-ish) - their second LP, and probably better all-around than their first release with is titled Stay With The Hollies.

2. For Certain Because (1966) - first album consisting solely of self-written material, it has the US hits Stop Stop Stop and Pay You Back With Interest.

3. Butterfly (1967) - Get the CD with bonus material, so that it includes King Midas in Reverse. Dear Eloise is also on that album, and it represents the "Flower Power" era of the group at its best (or, if you feel that way about it, at its worst). Would You Believe is an album track that remains to this day one of my ten favorite Hollies songs, and it never saw a release as a single.

4. Hollies Sing Hollies (1970) - The first album of self-written material (it's the follow up to the Dylan cover album, which has its fans and its detractors) after Graham Nash left the group. Get the CD with bonus tracks so that you also have He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (which is NOT a song written by the band).

5. Distant Light (1972) - I'm only listing it because Long Cool Woman is on it. Actually, I don't recommend this album as one of your first albums, due to the relatively unpolished nature of some of its tracks. It does, though, include the fabulous Long Dark Road. Maybe you should wait on this one until you're sure that you want to get all of their albums.

6. The Hollies (self-titled album from 1974) - The is the last hugely selling album for the group, as it includes the single The Air That I Breathe. I happen to like at least four other songs a LOT, and the record includes the hit "The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down Crazy Sam McGee." Yes, there actually is a song with that title, believe it or not.

In your place, I'd get one of these six albums, perhaps starting with the earliest that I suggest "In The Hollies Style."

If you like the tracks on that disc, then maybe you should forget about other suggestions, and just buy them all in chronological order. If you go that route, you might want to get very familiar with each album before buying the next one. That way, you can better appreciate the changes in the band's style (to say nothing of personnel) over the years.

Oh yeah, elsewhere on this site you'll find a link to "Magic Records," which is a French company. They have re-released many of the group's albums. While those albums are also available on British labels, you might want to get the Magic releases because they have lots of bonus tracks. These bonus tracks aren't previously unreleased songs, but they are tracks that you don't already have. You can save yourself expenses down the line by getting them that way, so you can avoid the trap that I was in by finding those obscure songs on various compilation discs, meaning that I own a bunch of such CD's that I will likely never again play.

Of course, you could also consider getting the 6-disc box set, which would really give you a great career retrospective. My complaints (and there are some significant complaints that I have with the box set) aren't applicable to someone just starting out buying Hollies music. You'll definitely enjoy the box set.

Finally, there's a 3-disc US release that was a 30th Anniversary celebration. If you don't get the box set, then you really need this one.
PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 18:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject: Re: Got Room For A "New" Hollies Fan?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Connie wrote:
Hey Y'all. I'm not really a new fan but I feel like one. I am a child of the 60's. I remember hearing all those great Hollies songs on the radio when I was growing up. As an eleven year old I spent my summer down at the recreation center splashing around in the pool all afternoon. I would hear Bus Stop at least 5 or 6 times a day. I loved it then and I love it now.

Afer I grew up and got maried, started a family and all that I sort of forgot about this great group. Out of earshot, out of mind, I guess. The Air That I Breathe is the last thing I remember hearing from them.

Funny, but I don't remember ever seeing the Hollies on TV back then. Until three months ago I didn't have faces or names to go with the great music I was hearing. All that changed one night as I was channel surfing. I came across a Public Television fund raiser. They were showing a British Invasion special. There was a clip of Carrie Anne. The next day I was googling, wikipedia-ing, and youtube-ing trying to catch up on all I missed.

My Hollies music collection consists of a greatest hits CD with 12 songs. Yes, I've been listening to the same 12 songs over and over all these years. I really need to start adding to my collection. I also have the Distant Light album given to me by my boyfriend at the time in 1973.

So here I am just starting out on the road to re-Hollie-fication. If you'll have me I'd love to join you fine people.

Connie
Connie you are more than welcome Very Happy .I'm a fairly new -comer myself and I love the forum.Your story is quite similar to mine so it struck a few chords.I used to have the same 20 Hollies songs that I played over and over.Recently I've extended my collection and I'm in heaven.Discovering new hollies music is a fabulous experience.You are in for such a treat Very Happy Very Happy .Welcome,welcome again.

PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 19:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject: new fan
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Connie welcome in the hollies world
i am a dutch fan ,and a very long one, more then 35 years, it began fore me with the hit The Baby, wich i could not buy at that time but the next one Magic Woman Touch i bought, and from then on i was a hollie fan ,
i would suggest that you buy the cd box "the Long road home" 6 cd set with nice booklet gives you a pretty good idea what the Hollies have been doing fot the past 40 years and more .

so its up to you and have a very nice musical journee with the best band in the world

greetings Bernard ,almelo , netherlands
PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 19:40 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Welcome, Connie! There's always room for a new Hollies' fan! I was introduced to them the same way you were - I first heard "Bus Stop" on the radio over and over. I never thought much of these guys until I saw them on a British Invasion documentary - peforming "Just One Look" - when I was 9, and that's when I was hooked. As the lyrics go, "Just one look, that's all it took." The only music I saw from them was the same Greatest Hits compilation the music catalogues were selling, and I thought, that was all they had. Then, in 1997, EMI releases ALL their albums from the '60s and '70s onto CD, and I knew they were not just a greatest hits-compilation group. I fell in love with them when I saw the cover of "In the Hollies Style," and I knew these guys were something more than just any British rock group. Since then, and with the advent of the Internet and YouTube, and this message board, I've come to learn so much more about them and have grown to love and respect the Hollies even more. I hope you feel the same, and I want to take this opportunity to welcome you to this board once more.

Vrinda Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 19:46 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Welcome, Connie! We're glad you're here! Hope you enjoy getting to know The Hollies better -- you've come to the right place.

I've been a fan for over 40 years, but I never thought I'd find so many other Hollies fans the world over till I found this forum. All of the insights and information about their long musical history and the various personnel changes is fascinating stuff! I'm hooked for life Smile

PostPosted:Mon Nov 05, 2007 22:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My suggestions for Hollies-buying:

"Hollies", from 1965, is their first really top-notch LP. I just don't care much for the first two, but this third LP is excellent throughout, except for the rather weak "Fortune Teller", which The Rolling Stones took for their own. The album is actually better in its US LP version, titled "Hear Here", omitting "Fortune Teller" and adding the hits "Look Through Any Window" and "I'm Alive" but the US version in not available on CD.

"Would You Believe" is superb, especially "Stewball", "Take Your Time", and "Don't You Even Care".

"For Certain Because" is highlighted by "Tell Me To My Face", "Pay You Back With Interest", and "Stop, Stop, Stop".

"Evolution" along with "Butterfly" are sort of the band's answer to The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper, with psychedelic trappings, but lots of intriguing material here, such as "Heading For A Fall", "Water on the Brain", "Would You Believe", and "Step Inside". End of Graham Nash era.

"Hollies Sing Hollies" and "Confessions of The Mind" both have excellent tunes on them, with lots of orchestral touches. The hard-hitting "Why Didn't You Believe" opens "...sing Hollies" on a strong note, and the album plays through very well. "Confessions" has some excellent tracks as well, but is maybe a notch below its predecessor in overall quality. Still a must-listen.

"Distant Light" is when the band really went into a new direction. Roughly half of the tracks lacked the traditional Hollies full-on harmony sound, but this experiment worked well, most notably on the US megahit "Long Cool Woman", as well as "Hold On", and "Look What We've Got". The harmonies were never stronger, however, on "Long Dark Road", "To Do With Love", and "Little Thing Like Love". The anti-war "You Know The Score" and "Promised Land" (along with "Soldiers' Dilemna" from "...Sing Hollies") could have been written today. With less orchestration and more of an edge, "Distant Light" was a major step forward.

"Romany" is quite simply, a beauty. No orchestration at all, just the band with a superb set of songs, let loose in the studio with little to no interference from their longtime producer Ron Richards. With their super-talented new recruit Mikael Rickfors, The Hollies made what is widely hailed as one of their very finest LPs. Highly recommended. This one is essential.

"Out On The Road" was the follow-up to "Romany", and featured all self-penned songs, while "Romany" had mostly well-chosen outside material. The album still has not received the proper CD treatment it deserves, but hopefully it will in the near future.

"Hollies" (1974) is the classic reunion with Allan Clarke, and another must. This one features an excellent balance of rockers and ballads, as well as a very nice good-natured humour on several of the tracks. The band's personality shines here.

The remaining LPs all have worthwhile tracks, but the above LPs are the ones to get first.
PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Welcome Connie ...enjoy your Hollies excursion! Anything Hollies related can be found here..."Bus stop, bus goes, she stays love grows"..oh well, you get the point.. Very Happy..have fun.
PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:16 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Welcome, Connie. Very Happy

PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 16:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Connie Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks so much for all the welcomes and the buying tips. I did use to own Distant Light but I think I lost it in my divorce, along with my stereo, in 1990. So it has been awhile since I've listened to it. Distant Light was a christmas gift from an old boyfriend. It contains my all time favorite Hollies song, Long Dark Road. That song reminds me of my lost innocence and a heart broken in two places. The first heartbreak I got over rather quickly. The second one I will probably carry to my grave. Sad

Anyway, thanks again for the warm welcome. I can't wait to start my shopping. Smile

Connie
PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 19:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Connie wrote:
Thanks so much for all the welcomes and the buying tips. I did use to own Distant Light but I think I lost it in my divorce, along with my stereo, in 1990. So it has been awhile since I've listened to it. Distant Light was a christmas gift from an old boyfriend. It contains my all time favorite Hollies song, Long Dark Road. That song reminds me of my lost innocence and a heart broken in two places. The first heartbreak I got over rather quickly. The second one I will probably carry to my grave. Sad

Anyway, thanks again for the warm welcome. I can't wait to start my shopping. Smile

Connie
Ah! Connie that was a cruel divorce.Anytime you want a chat message me.Welcome again Smile Smile .

PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 20:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Connie wrote:

Connie

Connie,

"Long Dark Road", in both its studio and live versions, is my all-time favorite too!

I've had my heart broken myself, but I look back not in anger, but with cherished memories. Ships that pass in the night. It's just the way it is, so it's best to accept it and move on. You think your world has crumbled, but it hasn't. There's always tomorrow.
PostPosted:Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:28 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1