graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Bernie Calvert
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject: Bernie Calvert
Banjo

Banjo

I think I have read somewhere on this forum that Bernie was not considered to be a great bass player.

I have just played the Dutch Collection, and in particular the live version of Daddy Don't Mind: this shows what a great bass player he was (and surely live performances is where it counts), as well as how good the rest of the band were live (as now).

It is a pity that in the early 80's they lost him, due to going down the more electronic route; I know he would have retired soon after anyway, but pity he left under a sort od cloud
PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:27 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject: Re: Bernie Calvert
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

marko661 wrote:
I think I have read somewhere on this forum that Bernie was not considered to be a great bass player.

I have just played the Dutch Collection, and in particular the live version of Daddy Don't Mind: this shows what a great bass player he was (and surely live performances is where it counts), as well as how good the rest of the band were live (as now).

It is a pity that in the early 80's they lost him, due to going down the more electronic route; I know he would have retired soon after anyway, but pity he left under a sort od cloud
I'm looking forward to receiving my Dutch Collection any day now and look forward to hearing that.Bernie would never have lasted in the band if he hadn't been good enough and it makes me mad when stupid rumours persist throughout the years and not the truth Evil or Very Mad .Bernie was an asset to the band and his contribution to the band's fab sound and records should never be underestimated.BERNIE ROCKED Very Happy Very Happy .

PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You blame Ron Richards for a lot of that, as he said something along the lines of "hey, if I'd had Jack Bruce, the bass would have been out in front on the mixes. My bassist wasn't very good, and that's why the sound is back a bit in the mixes."

Or words to that effect.

I must say that Eric's playing was more exciting, but Bernie certainly seemed solid as a rock. Plus, his fine piano playing helped the group out in concert as well as the studio. Live, they could perform He Ain't Heavy as a 5-piece group, with Bernie playing Elton John's piano part and Tony switching to bass.

I've always like Calvert, and agree that Ron Richards was a bit unkind. Is he Jack Bruce? Duh - of course not. But who is?
PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 14:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
My bassist wasn't very good, and that's why the sound is back a bit in the mixes."

On A Carousel
Dear Eloise
Listen To Me
Sorry Suzanne
Not That Way At All
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
Survival Of The Fittest
I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top
Hey Willy
Curly Billy

These are just a very brief list of songs in which Bernie's bass lines are very much to the fore. The very percussive bass sound he got in the late '60's singles is very noticeable. Great bassist.

PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 16:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
My bassist wasn't very good, and that's why the sound is back a bit in the mixes."

On A Carousel
Dear Eloise
Listen To Me
Sorry Suzanne
Not That Way At All
Survival Of The Fittest
Hey Willy
Curly Billy

These are just a very brief list of songs in which Bernie's bass lines are very much to the fore. The very percussive bass sound he got in the late '60's singles is very noticeable. Great bassist.

I agree. Bernie's bass sound was very solid and right for the songs. Eric Haydock was a faster player, but the songs from 1963-6 were generally faster in tempo. The Hollies were blessed with two excellent bass players in Eric Haydock and Bernie Calvert, and I think the girl fans would agree they were both attractive guys.
PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 16:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
I agree. Bernie's bass sound was very solid and right for the songs. Eric Haydock was a faster player, but the songs from 1963-6 were generally faster in tempo. The Hollies were blessed with two excellent bass players in Eric Haydock and Bernie Calvert, and I think the girl fans would agree they were both attractive guys.

Great musicians and attractive guys - now, there's a winning combination! Both Eric and Bernie brought a lot to the Hollies, we can't overlook their contribuions. I couldn't agree more, Dennis!
PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 17:26 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:

On A Carousel
Dear Eloise
Listen To Me
Sorry Suzanne
Not That Way At All
Survival Of The Fittest
Hey Willy
Curly Billy

Dennis I have to agree with you here, Shocked Laughing .

PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 20:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Me too!!! Very Happy

PostPosted:Tue Nov 06, 2007 21:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I agree, as well. Bernie was a great bass player. One of my favourite bass lines is in my favourite Hollies song "Bus Stop". Wasn't this one of Bernie's first recordings with The Hollies ?
But what is meant with the statement that he left the band because he went down the more electronic route ? I always wondered why he left at the same time as Terry left the band. Could anybody tell me the real reason for Bernie and Terry to leave the band ?
PostPosted:Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Quote:
But what is meant with the statement that he left the band because he went down the more electronic route ? I always wondered why he left at the same time as Terry left the band. Could anybody tell me the real reason for Bernie and Terry to leave the band ?
[/quote]

In the early 80's a lot of groups were only using keyboards in some cases for even the drum parts. As I read that on the newer album they didn't want to use bernie so much, I assumed that this was because they were using keyboard bass instead, but I have no idea if this was the reason.

I saw one of the first Eurothymics concert, when everything was played on keyboards, and in concert it was awful... no depth at all. A few years later I saw them again and they had a full backing band, and were much better
PostPosted:Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:17 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I had read that it was because Bernie couldn't handle the bass parts of the newer material to the staisfaction of Bruce Welch who was producing. I will say that if one compares the two versions of If The Lights Go Out, Calvert's bass doesn't really gel as well with the song as does Steve Stroud's (?) on the version on What Goes Around...

PostPosted:Wed Nov 07, 2007 16:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well, o.k., I can believe that Bruce Welch was a very meticulous producer. Cliff Richard himself said it on his last tour before he sang the brilliant "Hey Mr. Dreammaker" from one of the three albums Bruce Welch produced for Cliff in the late 1970s.
But Bernie was a real good bass player. On no album between "For Certain Because" and "Buddy Holly" and the 1965-1980 singles there was any sign of an imperfect bass line. "What Goes Around" and the early 1980s singles are nice Hollies material but not their most complicated material. I can't see the reason why Bernie should have played perfectly on all the recordings and suddenly having problems with newer material. I can't believe that this was the reason.
PostPosted:Thu Nov 08, 2007 14:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject: Re: Bernie Calvert
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

marko661 wrote:

Just received my Dutch Collection and you are right,Bernie was class live.Brill stuff Cool Cool .

PostPosted:Thu Nov 08, 2007 19:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
Well, o.k., I can believe that Bruce Welch was a very meticulous producer. Cliff Richard himself said it on his last tour before he sang the brilliant "Hey Mr. Dreammaker" from one of the three albums Bruce Welch produced for Cliff in the late 1970s.
But Bernie was a real good bass player. On no album between "For Certain Because" and "Buddy Holly" and the 1965-1980 singles there was any sign of an imperfect bass line. "What Goes Around" and the early 1980s singles are nice Hollies material but not their most complicated material. I can't see the reason why Bernie should have played perfectly on all the recordings and suddenly having problems with newer material. I can't believe that this was the reason.

I should mention that I wasn't saying that he couldn't handle the bass parts, but Stroud's bass definitely does suit the song better in my opinion. Either way, it's a shame Bernie did leave under what I too feel was a bit of a cloud. Alas, it was 15 superb years with the band.

PostPosted:Thu Nov 08, 2007 19:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:

I should mention that I wasn't saying that he couldn't handle the bass parts, but Stroud's bass definitely does suit the song better in my opinion. Either way, it's a shame Bernie did leave under what I too feel was a bit of a cloud. Alas, it was 15 superb years with the band.

I believe the scenario was the recording of "Carrie" with Bruce Welch producing, and neither Terry nor Bernie were wanted, leading to their permanent exit from the band.
PostPosted:Fri Nov 09, 2007 17:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next