graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages » Fabulous, December 5, 1964: The Hollies Make Their Forecast
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Geoff, as always this is fabulous stuff.I'm cracking up over the Dave Clark Five versus the Hollies bust up story.Clarke V Clark Shocked .God I would have paid good money to see that one!I reckon our lads could have taken The 5 on ,no probs Laughing Laughing .I think the old North /South rivalry is still with us today and probably always will be(Blur V Oasis in the 90's for example).Thanks again,Geoff Cool .

PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 13:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
Clarke V Clark Shocked .God I would have paid good money to see that one!I reckon our lads could have taken The 5 on ,no probs :lol

I would have loved to have seen that too. I reckon allan and graham would have used their karate skills to their advantage Laughing

shootthebusstop wrote:
I think the old North /South rivalry is still with us today and probably always will be(Blur V Oasis in the 90's for example).Thanks again,Geoff Cool .

It most certainly is just from personal experience. I temporarily live in the South and have been teased way too often because of my accent just cos I'm a northerner and proud of it Confused
PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 15:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
...but it was The Dave Clark Five with whom The Hollies REALLY fell out during a "Troubled" Package Tour in 1964.....the story goes Dave Clark once "offered them out....you Five against us Five" (!) inviting them to get off the coach....and sort out their differences...
respective Managers quickly dived in to settle things....so the story goes...

I can just picture that!

Dave Clark: This coach isn't big enough for the ten of us!

Allan Clarke: All right then, KII-YYAHHH! (karate chops Dave in the shoulder).

I'd hate to be whomever went up against Bobby. You'd have to have a death wish to fight him!

How did you hear about that one, Geoff?
PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 17:05 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think there was a north v South clash.
PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 19:14 pm

Last edited by Gee on Sun May 23, 2010 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks, Geoff! One thing for which I need clarification: These coaches they traveled in, where they those giant buses, or trains?
PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 19:19 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Thu Nov 01, 2007 20:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Tottenham Sound....?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I suppose they were all a lot younger then.
PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 19:36 pm

Last edited by Gee on Sun May 23, 2010 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff, you're a wealth of information, and I thank you for that! I know the American press had a field day pitting the Beatles against the Dave Clark Five, and just about everyone else in the music charts back then! It was all for the sake of selling their publications, and there was very little truth to anything they printed. Some American music magazines in 1964 and 1965 were printing rumors that the Beatles were on the verge of splitting up. I wouldn't call them psychic, just eager to sell issues!
PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 19:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Re Coaches....I doubt if they were anything that spectacular back circa 1964....probably just an ordinary excursion coach I expect... Sad .

I have seen photos of bands like Cliff/Shadows, The Fourmost etc....just miserably staring out of the small windows of a normal working man's van...

Paul McCartney said The Beatles used to lay across and on top of each other (fully clothed of course !)....forming a "Beatle Sandwich"....for sheer warmth's sake....as NO proper in car heating back then....

It was Not much fun back then....!
PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 19:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
I heard the tale years ago....I had read in a few articles that the 1964 Package Tour was "Problematical".....In one of his books Rock Author Alan Clayson also referred to The Hollies having a "Troubled" Package Tour with The DC5 too....and it may have simply been the old argument over who sang whatever song....(Which was often the case between bands before they started seriously writing their own material)...plus "Northern Lads" and "London Boys" etc....

Somebody (now long deceased) who had worked at Lansdowne Recording studios (where the DC5 recorded) back in the sixties, once told me about the alleged "Offering out" incident....(which was probably just a case of "Handbags at Ten paces" in truth...!)
- I was told that The two bands' respective Minders quickly stopped it....You can't then go onstage with a "black eye" or a "red nose" can you....? Laughing

I don't know if there was a specific incident that may have led to it or if it was as a result of a build up of Tensions between the various bands....who back then were all just YOUNG lads remember....?
....while them all being ferried about in a coach across Britain in those largely Pre-Motorway days of the early sixties...must have been pretty "mind numbing" too....causing young tempers to become strained....(Remember Graham Nash later wrote a song for CSN called "Pre Road Downs" re his dislike of Long Tours....which Terry Sylvester touched upon too in "Mr.Heartbreaker"....while Tony Hicks' "Out On The Road" saw the other more positive side of it....)

As to who might have won....it's arguable, but Mike Smith, Rick Huxley & Dave Clark certainly were quite forceful figures too (Dave Clark certainly had alot of "Clout" with EMI who allowed him to Produce his own records as early as 1963....something even The Beatles were not allowed to do....Clark also managed his own band...got FULL Royalties via his "Spurs Music"....unlike Lennon/McCartney....)

I expect Clarkie would have lept into a "Bruce Lee" pose...
.....and Nash skilfully then "Negotiated" a Peace settlement....(Good practice for him for later on in CSNY !)

Remember this was when they were all very young....I don't think they held any hard feelings about it for long...
As you say Geoff,young lads cooped up for long periods of time must have been fraught with tensions .Handbags at dawn indeed Laughing .Oh! and the thought of Allan in a Bruce Lee pose,preferably shirtless Wink .Thanks for that thought Geoff Very Happy .

PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 20:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
Re Coaches....I doubt if they were anything that spectacular back circa 1964....probably just an ordinary excursion coach I expect... Sad .

I have seen photos of bands like Cliff/Shadows, The Fourmost etc....just miserably staring out of the small windows of a normal working man's van...

Paul McCartney said The Beatles used to lay across and on top of each other (fully clothed of course !)....forming a "Beatle Sandwich"....for sheer warmth's sake....as NO proper in car heating back then....

My God Geoff,a Beatle sandwich,what are you trying to do to me tonight Shocked .

PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 20:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

katdowl wrote:
shootthebusstop wrote:
Clarke V Clark Shocked .God I would have paid good money to see that one!I reckon our lads could have taken The 5 on ,no probs :lol

I would have loved to have seen that too. I reckon allan and graham would have used their karate skills to their advantage Laughing

shootthebusstop wrote:
I think the old North /South rivalry is still with us today and probably always will be(Blur V Oasis in the 90's for example).Thanks again,Geoff Cool .

It most certainly is just from personal experience. I temporarily live in the South and have been teased way too often because of my accent just cos I'm a northerner and proud of it Confused
And so you should be Very Happy .

PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 21:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Quote:
...but it was The Dave Clark Five with whom The Hollies REALLY fell out during a "Troubled" Package Tour in 1964.....the story goes Dave Clark once "offered them out....you Five against us Five" (!) inviting them to get off the coach....and sort out their differences...

I can just picture that!

I'd hate to be whomever went up against Bobby. You'd have to have a death wish to fight him!

Love the sound effects,Vrinda Cool .

PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 21:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:

That just like traveling by economy class on airplane: Pure hell! The Beatles lying on top of one another for warmth? I just can't picture that! Very Happy

The lads must have glad to free of one another once they got off those buses! They did get their own van later on, as they said in Agneta's article, but then again, that might not have been too comfortable, either! I do recall Tony saying in an interview that touring back then was just, "a bunch of mates sitting around in the back of a van - happy times, though." Wink

I wonder if anyone ended up with sore muscles bent necks from being crouched up in those things for such long periods of time!

As for Allan in the Bruce Lee pose, it might have been too cold to disrobe, but I would have gladly helped if I was there! Wink Wink Wink (I know, Paula, I'm a saucy mink!) Maybe Graham held his coat for him!
PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 21:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can just picture that!

Love the sound effects,Vrinda Cool .

Thanks, Paula! Very Happy
PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 21:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think those poor lads would have needed a masseur to ease away their tensions Wink .Any takers Laughing Laughing ?

PostPosted:Thu Nov 01, 2007 21:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next