graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » "The Long Road Home" Box Set
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Now with this subject I can kinda see both sides of the fence. I understand the desire to market to 'Joe Public' but in reality, will he really be willing to fork out that kind of money for a band he has only a passing interest in? For the person who is only interested in the hits and suchlike, there is a plethora of stuff available out there and most at a low price too. If it's more than a passing interest then surely he would already have the majority of the stuff on there and therefore be even less-inclined to buy it?

hollies wrote:
decisions are made on a commercial basis by the people in the "know" at the time.

This fact is at the very heart of the majority of problems in the music industry today. I would challenge that many people in the "know" actually know very little - but perhaps this is best left for a thread all of its own! Wink

I think Chirpy's post pretty much sums it all up well. I agree with the comments about the live CD and feel that if it had been something other than the Live Hits show then it would have had the right balance.

For the record, I haven't yet bought it. The rare stuff on there certainly appeals to me greatly but sadly, I really cannot justify spending that amount of money for only a handful of tracks, no matter how good the booklet is!

PostPosted:Fri Feb 17, 2006 20:52 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
carlane3 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

James Towill wrote:
It is really good to have the unreleased tracks, but the live disc is really the disappointment - so much more could have been made of it.

The book is absolutely brilliant, just what was needed.

If they wanted to include a live concert, there are others that would have been more welcome. I also agree the book is brilliant and informative, very nice!!!
PostPosted:Fri Sep 07, 2007 20:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I love it Very Happy so many tracks I have never heard, the 80's material is just as good as the 60's &70's material in my view.

PostPosted:Sat Sep 22, 2007 17:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

carlane3 wrote:
James Towill wrote:
It is really good to have the unreleased tracks, but the live disc is really the disappointment - so much more could have been made of it.

The book is absolutely brilliant, just what was needed.

If they wanted to include a live concert, there are others that would have been more welcome. I also agree the book is brilliant and informative, very nice!!!

I'm interested in seeing the book, but it wasn't sold separately. They could have put the rare tracks on one CD enclosed in the book and sold that as an alternative to the whole box set. Much like when they reissued The Avengers/Emma Peel DVD box set with a bonus disc, but also sold the bonus disc separately, for those who didn't want to buy the whole thing again. It's called smart marketing.
PostPosted:Mon Sep 24, 2007 0:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I've recently bought the LRH Boxset and it's been an absolute revelation to me Shocked .I am not lucky enough (or wealthy enough) to own everything the lads ever made Crying or Very sad .Before this I had 5 Greatest Hits albums and 3 other albums.I find the mixture of songs on the cds exhilarating Razz !I love the alternative versions of some songs,they are so interesting.And surely the previously unreleased songs are a bonus for everyone. If you had most of the songs already why would you buy this Rolling Eyes ?To me it appeals to the Hollies fans who are still in the process of adding to their own collection.It has made me hungry for more Hollies music and has inspired me to seek out more albums.The Booklet is a real bonus too.It is both charming and informative with terrifically interesting and beautiful photos and of course imput from our beloved Mr.Coles Cool .All round I think it is excellent value,well worth having,if you are a Hollies fan like me.Thanks to all involved in it.I urge many of you out there to put it on your Santa lists!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

PostPosted:Sat Oct 20, 2007 19:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
I urge many of you out there to put it on your Santa lists!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

That's #1 on my list!

PostPosted:Sat Oct 20, 2007 20:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I also love the box set. It's a great compilation of well known material, album tracks, rarities and hits. For me it was the first opportunity to hear songs from the albums "Russian Roulette", "A Crazy Steal", "5317704", "Buddy Holly" on CD and a lot of 80s stuff.
It might be true that most of the tracks were on albums you had on CD, Dennis, but for me it was a good way to hear some rare 60s and early 70s material and to get material post-1976 on CD. One reason was that Magic Records did not have those albums out on CD I have mentioned above. But my interest in those albums grew through that box set and now I own Magic Records releases of those albums and I love those albums (although I had "5317704" on Vinyl but not on CD).
I think the box set is intended for people like me who tried to get interested in The Hollies beyond their hits. I couldn't wait for the day of its release and still I put the CDs into my player. Thanks a lot for "The Long Road Home". (and I think fan stuff will come up later like a "Rarities, Volume 2").
PostPosted:Sun Oct 21, 2007 13:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2