Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
Re "Hey Willy" - I don't think they were THAT keen on the song ! - Bobby once said it was not one of his favourites.....which is odd because now they are for the first time featuring it in the "Live" show sung really well by Hicks-Stiles-Lauri....!

I always thought "Hey Willy" was a terrific rockin' single (as did John Lennon too !) ....Bobby's drumming was great !

They often seemed to be curiously "Rather cool" towards some of their finest album tracks and little known songs.......why don't they ever sing "Live" songs like;
"Have You Ever Loved Somebody" (great fuzz guitar !), "Crusader","Wings", "Man With No Expression", "Step Inside", "Survival of The Fittest", "Hold On", "A little Thing like Love", "Slow Down","Jesus Was A Crossmaker", "Courage of your Convictions", "Nearer To You", "Down on the Run", "Rubber Lucy","You Gave Me Life", "Look Out Johnny", "Crocodile Woman", "Russian Roulette","Louise""Caracas", "Burn Out", "Crossfire", "Laughter Turns To Tears", "Stand by Me"......etc

Most bands would "give anything" to have top quality songs like that in their catalogue for use in their live shows.....!
I'm really surprised Tony was cool towards this song(Hey Wily) cause I think the guitar on it is absolutely amazing!It's such a funky song!I agree that the Hollies had such fantastic songs(that I'm still dicovering) and they didn't seem to utilize them as well as they could.If you go back to the early Hollies why were great songs like Would You Believe and Open Up Your Eyes not singles?

PostPosted:Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:29 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I remember hearing a few years back about a review during the mid-'70's which bemused the fact that Curly Billy wasn't played regularly, but Amazing Grace was!

PostPosted:Sun Oct 14, 2007 16:52 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
I remember hearing a few years back about a review during the mid-'70's which bemused the fact that Curly Billy wasn't played regularly, but Amazing Grace was!

"Amazing Grace" was in the band's set list for at least 5 or 6 years, from 1970 or 71 until 1976. It was part of the '76 Live album, along with "Boulder to Birmingham", both of which were left off due to an audience member's whistling during both numbers. Such a shame they weren't usable.
PostPosted:Sun Oct 14, 2007 17:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:

"Amazing Grace" was in the band's set list for at least 5 or 6 years, from 1970 or 71 until 1976. It was part of the '76 Live album, along with "Boulder to Birmingham", both of which were left off due to an audience member's whistling during both numbers. Such a shame they weren't usable.

...and I still can't believe with modern technology that the offending whistler can't be removed from these recordings Rolling Eyes

PostPosted:Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:11 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2