graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages » Allan Clarke: The Hollies Need Me Back
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Quote:
I was so blown away by the Beatles LOVE album.The songs and new mixes were so exciting and helped me show my teenage daughter just how good the band were and now she is an ardent fan.A Hollies album like this would definitely bring new fans on board.I love the Kasabian shoot the runner/busstop mix on youtube(hence my name).Think would could be done with some giggling around(that's the technical term)and changing of some arrangements and a new producer who was both respectful of the past but also prepared to kick some of the old songs up the arse a bit(excuse my french).I'm getting excited already . Very Happy

I like the old, simple, unembellished sound of sixties music, so I would be very careful about putting any new touches on the Hollies' sixities material. However, fixing up the fragmented sound structure that Geoff mentioned - vocals on one channel, instruments on the other - could be done to restore the quality of their sound.
I think the LOVE album was a great way of introducing The Beatles to those who didn't know about them.In my daughter's case she got hooked on the Beatles and then went back to the original records and that is what she listens to now.I think albums like LOVE can introduce the younger generation to great music and they can then start to listen to the proper albums .They are a means to an end.I'd love to see the same done with the Hollies .Young people would see just how exciting and experimental some Hollies stuff is.They might then be inspired to listen to original albums.And if these original albums were improved upon then that could only be a good thing.

PostPosted:Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:58 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carlane3 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

shootthebusstop wrote:
Vrinda wrote:
Quote:
I was so blown away by the Beatles LOVE album.The songs and new mixes were so exciting and helped me show my teenage daughter just how good the band were and now she is an ardent fan.A Hollies album like this would definitely bring new fans on board.I love the Kasabian shoot the runner/busstop mix on youtube(hence my name).Think would could be done with some giggling around(that's the technical term)and changing of some arrangements and a new producer who was both respectful of the past but also prepared to kick some of the old songs up the arse a bit(excuse my french).I'm getting excited already . Very Happy

I like the old, simple, unembellished sound of sixties music, so I would be very careful about putting any new touches on the Hollies' sixities material. However, fixing up the fragmented sound structure that Geoff mentioned - vocals on one channel, instruments on the other - could be done to restore the quality of their sound.
I think the LOVE album was a great way of introducing The Beatles to those who didn't know about them.In my daughter's case she got hooked on the Beatles and then went back to the original records and that is what she listens to now.I think albums like LOVE can introduce the younger generation to great music and they can then start to listen to the proper albums .They are a means to an end.I'd love to see the same done with the Hollies .Young people would see just how exciting and experimental some Hollies stuff is.They might then be inspired to listen to original albums.And if these original albums were improved upon then that could only be a good thing.

Couldn't agree more! Smile

PostPosted:Thu Oct 11, 2007 13:34 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="holliesfan"][quote="Dennis"]
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Bonus wrote:
d .."and that was The Wonder Who".

Exactly. I think it would be a great idea. Tears For Fears did a similar thing when they put out a record under the name Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams. It was an experimental track without their usual vocals so nobody knew right away who it really was. The sound of the new lineup of the Hollies is not known to those outside of regular fans, so this would be a good way to get them to listen without prejudice.

I wasn't aware of that.....Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams, wow...now there's a name you're not likely to forget.. Very Happy. Of course a Hollies momentary name change would need to be a bit more subtle....any ideas? In reality, I'm not sure the lads would want to take a bold step like changing a name they've had for lo these many years.

Let's face it; "Staying Power" was a flop. Anything to generate interest, even if it something as quirky as issuing a single only, mind you, under a psuedonym, could be an interesting experiment. I don't think it's as bizarre as, say, that track they did with Peter Sellers (which by the way, he got top billing on; the label said "Peter Sellers and The Hollies" And this was 1966, when they were having major hits). At this point, as far as any new recordings go, they have absolutely nothing to lose by trying a different approach to getting some attention. Nobody, absolutely nobody, cared about "Staying Power" other than their fan base (whatever that is), and believe me, I have heard from longtime fans and read reviews by people who loathed the entire CD. The fact that it failed to generate enough interest to get a US release says a whole lot. The big independent music store here in Hollywood (the music capital of the world) that everybody flocks to, Amoeba, never carried it.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 11, 2007 16:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
let's face it; "Staying Power" was a flop. Anything to generate interest, even if it something as quirky as issuing a single only, mind you, under a psuedonym, could be an interesting experiment. I don't think it's as bizarre as, say, that track they did with Peter Sellers (which by the way, he got top billing on; the label said "Peter Sellers and The Hollies" And this was 1966, when they were having major hits). At this point, as far as any new recordings go, they have absolutely nothing to lose by trying a different approach to getting some attention. Nobody, absolutely nobody, cared about "Staying Power" other than their fan base (whatever that is), and believe me, I have heard from longtime fans and read reviews by people who loathed the entire CD. The fact that it failed to generate enough interest to get a US release says a whole lot. The big independent music store here in Hollywood (the music capital of the world) that everybody flocks to, Amoeba, never carried it.

Perhaps you're right to some degree. The Hollies need to be a bit more adventurous and daring when it comes to their next recording project. A tried and true professional producer, serious drum use, extended lead guitar solos, synth-less backing, stronger hooks and melodies, etc...something has to change.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 11, 2007 18:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
let's face it; "Staying Power" was a flop. Anything to generate interest, even if it something as quirky as issuing a single only, mind you, under a psuedonym, could be an interesting experiment. I don't think it's as bizarre as, say, that track they did with Peter Sellers (which by the way, he got top billing on; the label said "Peter Sellers and The Hollies" And this was 1966, when they were having major hits). At this point, as far as any new recordings go, they have absolutely nothing to lose by trying a different approach to getting some attention. Nobody, absolutely nobody, cared about "Staying Power" other than their fan base (whatever that is), and believe me, I have heard from longtime fans and read reviews by people who loathed the entire CD. The fact that it failed to generate enough interest to get a US release says a whole lot. The big independent music store here in Hollywood (the music capital of the world) that everybody flocks to, Amoeba, never carried it.

Perhaps you're right to some degree. The Hollies need to be a bit more adventurous and daring when it comes to their next recording project. A tried and true professional producer, serious drum use, extended lead guitar solos, synth-less backing, stronger hooks and melodies, etc...something has to change.

Going back to the 'psuedonym' idea, another example is when Paul McCartney wrote "Woman" for Peter & Gordon under the name 'Bernard Webb', wishing to see if it would hit without his and Lennon's names attached to it.

By the way, that Tears For Fears track under the strange name charted as well.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 11, 2007 19:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5