graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages » Allan Clarke: The Hollies Need Me Back
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Was Curly Billy not a major mainland European hit? Top 5 in Holland, or am I mistaken?

PostPosted:Thu Oct 04, 2007 20:54 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
Yes, Dennis, I agree with you to a certain point. I like the Rickfors-era albums more than "Russian Roulette" and "A Crazy Steal", as well.
But we may not forget that a band needs hits more than a youthful appearance, and The Hollies did not have a worldwide smash-hit with Rickfors comparable to "The Air That I Breathe". Even "Sandy", "Write On" and "Boulder To Birmingham" get more radio airplay than "The Baby" or "Magic Woman Touch". And it shows that they had success with ballads in the mid-1970s. So, how can anybody say that the direction they were going was wrong ? And "It's In Everyone Of Us" from 1979's "5317704" is one of the most beautiful Hollies songs I know. I'm not sure whether they would have had the same success with Rickfors. The Hollies could not repeat the success they had in the 1960s but they had their chart moments in the 1970s and it would not have been better with Mikael Rickfors.
But don't get me wrong. I love the Rickfors-albums, "The Baby" is one of my favourite Hollies songs and "Out On The Road" is my favourite Hollies album.
I just wanted to make clear that I also think that The Hollies needed Clarke to reach those higher chart positions they have reached with "The Air That I Breathe". And I like their later albums, as well. My favourite post-Rickfors album IS the ballad album "5317704". Could anybody else sing "When I'm Yours" or "It's In Everyone Of Us" as emotional as Allan did ? And let's not forget about the great emotional guitar solo by Tony in "When I'm Yours". Songs like these show how professional The Hollies were when they made music.
Rickfors or Clarke ? Thanks to both of them for giving great songs their voice (and, of course, writing them, in some cases). And, of course, thanks to The Hollies for their whole song and album catalogue. Very Happy Very Happy
As you know I'm a Clarkie(did you guess Rolling Eyes ) but I like your nice balanced approach.Couldn't agree more with the last sentiment Very Happy Very Happy .

PostPosted:Thu Oct 04, 2007 21:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Was Curly Billy not a major mainland European hit? Top 5 in Holland, or am I mistaken?
According to the sleeve notes on The Hollies Greatest Hits Curly Billy was a number 1 hit in Holland and number 4 in Belgium.

PostPosted:Thu Oct 04, 2007 21:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
James Towill wrote:
According to the sleeve notes on The Hollies Greatest Hits Curly Billy was a number 1 hit in Holland and number 4 in Belgium.

Thanks for that. Yes, "Curly Billy " topped the charts in Holland. I was just expressing my dissatisfaction with the honchos at US Epic for issuing it here when "Mexico Gold" would have been a better choice. The Hollies were debating between CB and MG as the first UK single with Clarkey back. "Mexico Gold" could have been issued here instead, as "Curly Billy" just sounded too much like "Long Cool Woman" for it to be a hit in the US.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 04, 2007 22:37 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Thu Oct 04, 2007 22:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:
Yes, Dennis, I agree with you to a certain point. I like the Rickfors-era albums more than "Russian Roulette" and "A Crazy Steal", as well.
But we may not forget that a band needs hits more than a youthful appearance, and The Hollies did not have a worldwide smash-hit with Rickfors comparable to "The Air That I Breathe". Even "Sandy", "Write On" and "Boulder To Birmingham" get more radio airplay than "The Baby" or "Magic Woman Touch". And it shows that they had success with ballads in the mid-1970s. So, how can anybody say that the direction they were going was wrong ? And "It's In Everyone Of Us" from 1979's "5317704" is one of the most beautiful Hollies songs I know. I'm not sure whether they would have had the same success with Rickfors. The Hollies could not repeat the success they had in the 1960s but they had their chart moments in the 1970s and it would not have been better with Mikael Rickfors.
But don't get me wrong. I love the Rickfors-albums, "The Baby" is one of my favourite Hollies songs and "Out On The Road" is my favourite Hollies album.
I just wanted to make clear that I also think that The Hollies needed Clarke to reach those higher chart positions they have reached with "The Air That I Breathe". And I like their later albums, as well. My favourite post-Rickfors album IS the ballad album "5317704". Could anybody else sing "When I'm Yours" or "It's In Everyone Of Us" as emotional as Allan did ? And let's not forget about the great emotional guitar solo by Tony in "When I'm Yours". Songs like these show how professional The Hollies were when they made music.
Rickfors or Clarke ? Thanks to both of them for giving great songs their voice (and, of course, writing them, in some cases). And, of course, thanks to The Hollies for their whole song and album catalogue. Very Happy Very Happy
As you know I'm a Clarkie(did you guess Rolling Eyes ) but I like your nice balanced approach.Couldn't agree more with the last sentiment Very Happy Very Happy .

As you must know, I'm a Rickforsie (?!) Wink
PostPosted:Thu Oct 04, 2007 22:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Good, I'm a Clarkie and Rickforsie, as you could see from my post Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

But, Dennis, I just want to make clear that I have not written about chart positions. I'm not sure what the positions of the Hollies songs really were on the charts, but I know that you never ever hear a Rickfors-era Hollies song on German radio. But you sometimes DO hear those songs I have mentioned in my last post ("Sandy", "Write On", "Boulder To Birmingham"). So it is not just "The Air That I Breathe". In most cases you can count on the radio playing the most famous songs and it shows that in Germany The Hollies with Allan singing the lead had more success than they ever had with Rickfors. And I'm talking about the time before Rickfors had become part of the band and after he had left the band. That's why I would not say that it was a mistake that Allan returned. And after he had returned they recorded many super songs. Songs you have mentioned like "Mexico Gold" or "Curly Billy" are just two of them.

I can't say what would have been if Rickfors had stayed with the band. Could have been as good as the reunion with Allan. I like them both equally. But the greater succes they had with Allan. And I'm not talking about me because I personally don't care much about success. There are many rarities and album tracks by The Hollies (especially from the Rickfors-era) that I like more than some hits (although my all-time favourite top four songs "Bus Stop", "He Ain't Heavy", "The Baby" and "Long Cool Woman" are all hits). Rarer examples of my favourites are "Nearer To You", "If It Wasn't For The Reason" and "It's In Everyone Of Us".
PostPosted:Fri Oct 05, 2007 14:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
an Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

On the site -Radio 2 Belgium - you read that Curly Billy was number 6 in Belgium on 15 december 1973

http://radio2.be/deradio2top30archiefdetailpagina.cfm?datum=1973%2D12%2D15%2000%3A00%3A00%2E0&regio=22
PostPosted:Fri Oct 05, 2007 18:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
Good, I'm a Clarkie and Rickforsie, as you could see from my post Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

But, Dennis, I just want to make clear that I have not written about chart positions. I'm not sure what the positions of the Hollies songs really were on the charts, but I know that you never ever hear a Rickfors-era Hollies song on German radio. But you sometimes DO hear those songs I have mentioned in my last post ("Sandy", "Write On", "Boulder To Birmingham"). So it is not just "The Air That I Breathe". In most cases you can count on the radio playing the most famous songs and it shows that in Germany The Hollies with Allan singing the lead had more success than they ever had with Rickfors. And I'm talking about the time before Rickfors had become part of the band and after he had left the band. That's why I would not say that it was a mistake that Allan returned. And after he had returned they recorded many super songs. Songs you have mentioned like "Mexico Gold" or "Curly Billy" are just two of them.

I can't say what would have been if Rickfors had stayed with the band. Could have been as good as the reunion with Allan. I like them both equally. But the greater succes they had with Allan. And I'm not talking about me because I personally don't care much about success. There are many rarities and album tracks by The Hollies (especially from the Rickfors-era) that I like more than some hits (although my all-time favourite top four songs "Bus Stop", "He Ain't Heavy", "The Baby" and "Long Cool Woman" are all hits). Rarer examples of my favourites are "Nearer To You", "If It Wasn't For The Reason" and "It's In Everyone Of Us".

I'm really basing my opinion purely by quality of recordings. Every track the band laid down with Rickfors is first-rate. They were doing the lot; rockers, introspective ballads, country-rock, reggae-pop, progressive pop. The Hollies were on a roll from a creative standpoint; they were tackling material of the type that they hadn't tried before, stretching themselves musically. Rickfors' two CBS solo LPs from the mid-70s show his songwriting prowess. His "Daughter of The Night" was covered by several artists, and "Take A Message To My Baby" would have been tailor-made as a Hollies track; all it needs are those Hollies harmonies during the chorus!
PostPosted:Fri Oct 05, 2007 19:13 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Well-said, Dennis Cool

PostPosted:Fri Oct 05, 2007 20:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis wrote:
shootthebusstop wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:

As you must know, I'm a Rickforsie (?!) Wink
I never would have guessed Wink

PostPosted:Fri Oct 05, 2007 20:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:

I always thought "When I'm Yours", with some judicious editing, would have made a fine single. Surely it was better than the tracks that were issued as singles: "Something To Live For" and "Harlequin".
PostPosted:Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:47 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I always think that the drumming sounds 'off' on Harlequin, but BJ Wilson was a superb drummer and rather unorthadox in that manner. It certainly wasn't single material.

PostPosted:Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:21 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, I absolutely agree with you, Dennis. The wrong singles were taken from "5317704". It's a great album but the wrong singles were taken from it. Why didn't they release "It's In Everyone Of Us" as a single ? It certainly had more hit potential than "Something To Live For". And Cliff Richard showed that this statement is true when he released it himself as a single five years later as part of the "Time" Musical. O.K., noone knows that musical anymore but the single was a minor hit for him and he sang it during concerts in the late 1990s. It can be seen on his wonderful DVDs ""Live In The Park" and "The Countdown Concert".
Oh, and Cliff's latest tour "Here & Now" shows that there still is hope for artists coming up with rarer material on their tours. During most of his concerts he played his single hits, new material and covered material. I was very surprised that I heard him play songs like "Give Me Love Your Way", "Hey, Mr. Dreammaker", "Rock'n'Roll Juvenile" or "Every Face Tells A Story"´, album tracks from his great late 1970s period. Maybe The Hollies wil do remember their great album material from the 1960s and 1970s during one of their future tours. There still is hope.
PostPosted:Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

During my recent chat with Bobby I refrerred to some album tracks plus "forgotten" singles that the band really ought to "dust off" for concert use in the future.....

I referrred to songs like "Crusader", "Have You Ever Loved Somebody" (with Tony's great Fuzz guitarwork), "Then The Heartaches Begin", "Survival of The Fittest","To Do With Love", "Lady Please", etc....
PostPosted:Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:45 pm

Last edited by Gee on Sun May 23, 2010 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I personally have two thumbs up for "Laughter Turns to Tears" and felt it would have been a very strong single. It's got Hollies written all over it...melody, harmonies, etc. Why it wasn't released is anyone's guess. Would love to hear it in concert..hint.
PostPosted:Sat Oct 06, 2007 13:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next