graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages » Allan Clarke's Forthcoming Wedding Day.....(March 1964)
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Allan Clarke's Forthcoming Wedding Day.....(March 1964)
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Whilst looking for something else....I came across an old article I had filed away donkey's years ago....I had forgotten I even had it....
....and I immediately thought Vrinda would be interested....!

"THE WEDDING OF MR.HOLLY....."

"Next Tuesday things are going to be a bit Terrifying for The Hollies singer Allan Clarke....for despite having sung in front of huge audiences...next week 21 year old Allan is getting married...!

"Someone's going to give the Performance of a Lifetime....FOR A Lifetime !....."

.....The little St.James Church is going to see quite a sight when all Allan's fans turn up to witness his last few minutes of Freedom.... when Hollies singer Allan Clarke rolls up at the church just before 2p.m. ....
....and thats not all !,
Hollies Leader Graham Nash will be there too with Allan to push the Wedding ring into his hand, and make sure he puts it on the right finger...he's the Best Man !
And the rest of The Hollies will be there too to support their mate !

So Hollies fans should all have a ball even if they are "Losing" one of their idols....

The girl in white next Tuesday is 19 year old Jeni Bowstead, a Coventry receptionist, she met Allan in the role of a fan, when The group were appearing at a Coventry dance last year (1963)....The pair got engaged in January - Fast work Jeni !

After they have seen their Lead singer off on Honeymoon, the rest of The Hollies are off on their own week's holiday too.
After that the boys will be joining The Dave Clark Five and Mark Wynter on Tour starting on 29 May (1964).

Their first LP Recently released has already entered the LP Charts....Seems everything's swinging for The Hollies now.....!

This Article is from a mag called "Top Boys of The Week" (!) - March 1964.
PostPosted:Wed Sep 05, 2007 19:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks, Geoff! Fast work, indeed! That Jenny is one clever cookie. That was from the magazine I saw on eBay a while back. Several people bid on it, and it sold for more than $50.00!

Allan and Jeni met and married after knowing each other for less than a year, and have now been married for 43 years? Plus, he was a budding rock star, and for all anyone knew, might not have committed himself and gotten cold feet later on. Yet, they made it! It would be interesting to know how Jeni and Allan kept things going that long. Very few entertainment marriages last like that.

I knew Graham had to be the best man! He must had to push Allan out in front of the altar and guide him in putting the ring on - because poor Allan must have been so nervous! Let me guess, Tony, Eric, and Bobby played the Wedding March!

Thanks again, Geoff, that was so sweet of you! Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Sep 05, 2007 20:05 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Thu Sep 06, 2007 14:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Geoff , what a fab article.Looking at it now the marriage really shouldn't have worked .But I think it says alot about dear Allan,loyal and steadfast.They must have been madly in love.I suspose at that age you don't see the pitfalls but I think Jeni knew a good thing when she saw it and was determined to hold on.I think you can also see why Allan allegedly had that thing with (she who shall not be named).He had to sow his wild oats sometime.Anyway,good on the Clarkies! and I hope they have many more years together. Very Happy

PostPosted:Wed Sep 05, 2007 20:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Geoff , what a fab article.Looking at it now the marriage really shouldn't have worked .But I think it says alot about dear Allan,loyal and steadfast.They must have been madly in love.I suspose at that age you don't see the pitfalls but I think Jeni knew a good thing when she saw it and was determined to hold on.I think you can also see why Allan allegedly had that thing with (she who shall not be named).He had to sow his wild oats sometime.Anyway,good on the Clarkies! and I hope they have many more years together. Very Happy

My thoughts, exactly. To get married so young, they had to really be in love, and Allan must been a very loyal man. I think they're getting married so quickly had something to do with the hectic lifestyle Allan was leading touring and performing, and they wanted to get this out of the way before time became too scarce. It's understandable, knowing this, why Allan had that fling with you-know-who. They were just kids, and couldn't have known any better. I wish Allan and Jeni all the best, and I hope, one day, I get to meet the woman who won dear Allan's heart. Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Sep 05, 2007 21:05 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Another thing I wonder: What did Jenny tell her parents when they asked her what Allan did for a living?

"So, what does this boy Allan do?"

"He's a singer in a rock group."

"When is he getting a real job?"

Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Oct 01, 2007 17:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Another thing I wonder: What did Jenny tell her parents when they asked her what Allan did for a living?

"So, what does this boy Allan do?"

"He's a singer in a rock group."

"When is he getting a real job?"

Very Happy
Look ,Vrinda all Allan had to do was smile that smile and Jeni's mum would have been putty in his hands Wink ."Ooh ,a rock singer you say,very nice,more cake? You look like you need fattening up"etc Laughing Laughing

PostPosted:Mon Oct 01, 2007 18:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Look ,Vrinda all Allan had to do was smile that smile and Jeni's mum would have been putty in his hands Wink ."Ooh ,a rock singer you say,very nice,more cake? You look like you need fattening up"etc Laughing Laughing

Allan is the prettiest beanpole I've ever seen! Jeni's mom must have fallen in love with him, too. Very Happy If my daughter brought home a man who looked and acted like Allan, I'd be tripping over the furniture! With his personality, he certainly won them over! Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Oct 01, 2007 18:52 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Mon Oct 01, 2007 23:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Quote:

Allan is the prettiest beenpole I've ever seen! Jeni's mom must have fall in love with him, too. Very Happy If my daughter brought home a man who looked and acted like Allan, I'd be tripping over the furniture! With his personality, he certainly won them over! Very Happy
If my daughter brought home a lad like Allan I'd have to leave the country or I'd end up on the Jerry Springer Show Wink Wink .

PostPosted:Mon Oct 01, 2007 20:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
Vrinda wrote:

Allan is the prettiest beenpole I've ever seen! Jeni's mom must have fall in love with him, too. Very Happy If my daughter brought home a man who looked and acted like Allan, I'd be tripping over the furniture! With his personality, he certainly won them over! Very Happy
If my daughter brought home a lad like Allan I'd have to leave the country or I'd end up on the Jerry Springer Show Wink Wink .

I so wish I could find a guy that looked like and smiled like him [sigh] Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:Mon Oct 01, 2007 22:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:

Jerry will have a field day with that episode: "My Mother Ran Off With My Allan Clarke-Lookalike Boyfriend!"

I can only imagine what the audience will have to say to you!

Quote:
I so wish I could find a guy that looked like and smiled like him [sigh] Crying or Very sad

You're not alone, hon! Crying or Very sad

You're already in England. You have a head start over me! You might easily find one like him if you search hard enough. Allan seems like one of a kind. In a way, that's a good thing, but it sure would be nice if there were more like him!
PostPosted:Mon Oct 01, 2007 23:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

[quote="katdowl"][quote="shootthebusstop"]
Vrinda wrote:

Remember Allan has sons and quite possibly nephews.So some day you walk passed a guy with those velvet brown eyes and that amazing smile it could be a Clarkie ,just not thee Clarkie Wink .Would you complain ? Laughing Laughing

PostPosted:Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Remember Allan has sons and quite possibly nephews.So some day you walk passed a guy with those velvet brown eyes and that amazing smile it could be a Clarkie ,just not thee Clarkie Wink .Would you complain ? Laughing Laughing

I wouldn't complain at all, but I'd have to be very fast and snag him for myself before the other girls get their hands on him! Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Oct 02, 2007 14:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't complain at all, but I'd have to be very fast and snag him for myself before the other girls get their hands on him! Very Happy
Get those trainers on !321 and they're off.Vrinda,I get the feeling you'd be like the road runner if there was a Clarkie in front of you.MEEP!MEEP! Laughing .

PostPosted:Tue Oct 02, 2007 20:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Get those trainers on !321 and they're off.Vrinda,I get the feeling you'd be like the road runner if there was a Clarkie in front of you.MEEP!MEEP! Very Happy .

If there were a Clarkie in front of me, I'd run so fast you wouldn't see me! Flash Gordon would look like he's running at normal speed compared to me! The roadrunner would duck and cover when he saw me running after him!

The poor Clarkie - whomever he may be. He wouldn't know what hit him! Wink
PostPosted:Tue Oct 02, 2007 21:13 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Mon Oct 08, 2007 15:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Quote:
Get those trainers on !321 and they're off.Vrinda,I get the feeling you'd be like the road runner if there was a Clarkie in front of you.MEEP!MEEP! Very Happy .

If there were a Clarkie in front of me, I'd run so fast you wouldn't see me! Flash Gordon would look like he's running at normal speed compared to me! The roadrunner would be duck and cover when he saw me running after him!

The poor Clarkie - whomever he may be. He wouldn't know what hit him! Wink
Allan and male relatives,BE WARNED.If you're ever in the States wear a disguise or start training for a marathon.Vrinda's about. Laughing Laughing .

PostPosted:Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:58 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next