graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » The Hollies on Top of the Pops
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: The Hollies on Top of the Pops
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I read on the Internet Movie Database that most 1960s episodes of Top of the Pops were never archived by the BBC, and most of the Beatles performances are lost forever. I guess that'salso true of the Hollies's appearances during that time. The BBC was appealing to the public to bring in tapes of older broadcasts if they could find any. Just where would copies of these older broadcasts be, if there was no way of recording these shows back then?
PostPosted:Wed Sep 26, 2007 19:44 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

These programmes were recorded at the time but the BBC thought there was little or no commerical valuse in old recordings. Basically the BBC dumped or taped over the old episodes of Top of The Pops and many other shows.

From the 60s only Just One Look and Sorry Suzanne survive. From the '70s the BBC still has Gasoline Alley and Curly Billy. Unoffical recordings of Air and Heavy also survive. While a portion of Hey Willy survives because it was exported and used on the German TV show Disco.

Michael
PostPosted:Thu Sep 27, 2007 17:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks, Michael. I've read the same things, but the BBC was still appealing to the public to turn in any old tapes they might have. I wondered just where were people going to find these things! It's interesting that the BBC didn't see any commercial or sentimental vaule in keeping these old tapes. Movies, war footage, and newsreels were archived, so why not old TV shows? I read somewhere that videotape was expensive back then, there wasn't much room in the BBC archives for all old tapes, and there were strict regulations back then regarding rebroadcasting rights. Did you ever hear of the latter?

I'm sure someone - maybe a technician back then - might have stealthily taken and kept some old episodes, and they're sitting in someone's attic right now. It's so sad that at least 5 years worth of these great performances are gone forever. I know ITV archived Ready, Steady, Go! becuase I saw episodes of it on an cable channel here fifteen years ago, and they were rebroadcast on ITV in the mid eighties. It's strange that the BBC didn't take a cue from ITV and preserve these shows.
PostPosted:Thu Sep 27, 2007 19:25 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Thanks, Michael. I've read the same things, but the BBC was still appealing to the public to turn in any old tapes they might have. I wondered just where were people going to find these things! It's interesting that the BBC didn't see any commercial or sentimental vaule in keeping these old tapes. Movies, war footage, and newsreels were archived, so why not old TV shows? I read somewhere that videotape was expensive back then, there wasn't much room in the BBC archives for all old tapes, and there were strict regulations back then regarding rebroadcasting rights. Did you ever hear of the latter?

I'm sure someone - maybe a technician back then - might have stealthily taken and kept some old episodes, and they're sitting in someone's attic right now. It's so sad that at least 5 years worth of these great performances are gone forever. I know ITV archived Ready, Steady, Go! becuase I saw episodes of it on an cable channel here fifteen years ago, and they were rebroadcast on ITV in the mid eighties. It's strange that the BBC didn't take a cue from ITV and preserve these shows.
The BBC taped over many a good show cos as you said tape was expensive stuff in those days.It's just so maddening to think of the fab peformances now gone forever.Top of the Pops was thee best pop show for decades.It's totally responsible for my love of music and I miss it .Every popstar saw it as their dream to appear on this programme.Whoever made the decison to wipe the tapes was a total twit Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted:Fri Sep 28, 2007 13:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:

I never realised that Ready Steady Go was in the ITV archives. I hope there are lots of hollies performances ready to be shown once more we can only hope Smile

shoothebusstop wrote:

The BBC taped over many a good show cos as you said tape was expensive stuff in those days.It's just so maddening to think of the fab peformances now gone forever.Top of the Pops was thee best pop show for decades.It's totally responsible for my love of music and I miss it .Every popstar saw it as their dream to appear on this programme.Whoever made the decison to wipe the tapes was a total twit Evil or Very Mad

I can't believe that almost all the top of the pops performances from the 1960s and early 70s are now wiped probably forever Sad but thank you BBC Four for finally showing the 69 hollies concert for the first time in almost 40 years Smile
PostPosted:Fri Sep 28, 2007 16:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
I never realised that Ready Steady Go was in the ITV archives. I hope there are lots of hollies performances ready to be shown once more we can only hope Very Happy

I hope so, too. The BBC producers should have gotten the hint by the late sixites when all these bands became big that these performances should be archived. I hope RSG sees the light of day again, either in rebroadcast or DVD release.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 28, 2007 17:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Sorry to spoil the party but only a couple of episodes of Ready, Steady, Go survive. I don't think any Hollies footage survives.

Episodes of BBC shows have turned up in African TV stations, private collectors and church basements but there is a law of diminshing returns at work. The more time lapses the less there is to find.

However! TV emissions simply travel on and on through outer space after broadcast so as we speak you can probably catch the Hollies miming Just Like Me on Saturn.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Sorry to spoil the party but only a couple of episodes of Ready, Steady, Go survive. I don't think any Hollies footage survives.

Michael, you've got to be such a kiljoy! I think we all have varying sources of information but, I warn you, I wasn't dreaming when I saw the Disney channel advertising Ready, Steady, Go! back in 1991 and 1992. I even have the old TV Guides from that time, that list each episode they showed every week. You could be right, if these tapes were wiped then. In 1990s, however, archiving was in full swing, and no one in their right mind would dream of erasing these treasures then. Several clips from episodes turn up on YouTube, and someone even posted a news segment from a British TV Channel on RSG and how they were rerunning it. I'll see if I can find those videos and give you all the links here.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dave Clarke of the DC5 somehow acquired some episodes and re-packaged and re-edited them and they were sold for TV but as to actual footage there is only a handful of episodes he had to use to "make" the new shows.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 28, 2007 20:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

That's what I heard, too. I don't know what the actual number of episodes is, but www.tv.com lists each one, with a description of the guest performers. The information was taken from BBC's Radio and TV Times. At least one episode with the Hollies has survived, because a user on TV.com gave it a rating of 9.7.

I take that back about ITV archiving old episodes, however, on a website for the Who, it is mentioned that episodes were found archived in Canada and Australia. Whether or not these were the ones Dave Clark got his hands on is not mentioned.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 28, 2007 20:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1