The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies Influences
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Shells Exclamation

It is getting boring just debating over how The Hollies got their name and I am just realising how silly we all sound. We all have our own opinins on the matter and it should be left that way. You are right, Rob should lock the part of the forum.

The biographies on the Classicbands site are good. I not only read about The Hollies I also read about Abba as well.

All The Best

Susie

Cool Razz
PostPosted:Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:34 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

HI Susie

I wrote to Jim the webmaster of Classic Bands and he changed the wording in his biography of The Hollies Very Happy He even asked me to go in and check there were no further "mistakes" thanking me for bringing his attention to it.

How's that for someone listening to us? Laughing

I've read quite a few of the bios he has up there. It's a really interesting site

I actually thought the subject would have been locked by now cos we asked Rob. Maybe he'll think about it.

Who knows? Anyway, have a great Hollies Day!

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:21 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Beebs Post subject:

Why is it so important to be locked? Just change the subject! Or post on another topic...I think we're all adults here; we can do this ourselves if we have no interest in a topic.

Beebs
(Bored with the discussion about locking the topic...)
PostPosted:Wed Feb 11, 2004 15:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Quite right.

It is not my intention to lock topics unless they are duplicated, go off topic or get out of hand.

I will certainly not lock a topic on request from members because they are bored with the topic. Just don't continue with that topic if you have had enough of it.

This talk of where The Hollies got their name from is not what the originator of this particular topic intended the topic to be about. He asked about the "musical" influences on the band.

Before replying to ANY post, the reader should understand the Topic subject first.

Unfortunately, I have not been around to change anything.

However, perhaps to conclude this topic, both sides of the argument are neither right or wrong. I have spoken to most members of the band including Allan and Tony, both who were there at the time, and have not been able to glean a definitive answer.

The wording on the Classic Bands website is about as accurate as can be expected some 42 years after the event. They state "They chose the name - depending on who's telling the tale - either in homage to Buddy Holly or because it was Christmas and time to deck the halls"

Where the name came from is not important now - that they are still together and touring over forty years later is.

Hope this helps (or confuses) Exclamation

Rob
PostPosted:Wed Feb 11, 2004 16:00 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Did I not say something similar on page 1. Not just the length of time but all the other things as well. Mind you it was good to see your post. I was beginning to think Susie had helped you with "the rules"
No offence intended Susie....or Rob.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:50 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I know this has thread hasn't been posted on in a while, but I thought I would share something I heard on the radio a few years back. I was listening to the local oldies station, and they had just played "Bus Stop." The DJ then said that that many people had thought over the years that the Hollies got their name from Buddy Holly, but that was just a story. He said they were at a Christmas party - he didn't say at whose house - and they were thinking up names. They saw hollies strung around and decided on the name "Hollies." The New Year's Eve story sounds too spur-of-the-moment, and the Buddy Holly story also sounds implausible, as he was not that huge an influence on them. The Christmas party story does sound more believable.
PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 19:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
I know this has thread hasn't been posted on in a while, but I thought I would share something I heard on the radio a few years back. I was listening to the local oldies station, and they had just played "Bus Stop." The DJ then said that that many people had thought over the years that the Hollies got their name from Buddy Holly, but that was just a story. He said they were at a Christmas party - he didn't say at whose house - and they were thinking up names. They saw hollies strung around and decided on the name "Hollies." The New Year's Eve story sounds too spur-of-the-moment, and the Buddy Holly story also sounds implausible, as he was not that huge an influence on them. The Christmas party story does sound more believable.

I actually heard a different story, which I believe Allan told at one time. The group was appearing at a local gig and it was around Christmas time. The MC, when ready to announce the band. turned and asked what the lads called themselves. As they looked around they saw all these Christmas decorations. They figured with all the Holly sprinkled round the room (and being fans of Buddy Holly) they told the guy they were The Hollies and the name stood the test of time.
PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 21:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Vrinda I also heard or read somewhere that The Hollies were named around Christmastime too.I remember thinking that was nice cos my birthday is in December and Christmas is my fav time of the year.

PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 21:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Vrinda I also heard or read somewhere that The Hollies were named around Christmastime too.I remember thinking that was nice cos my birthday is in December and Christmas is my fav time of the year.

I think that scenario is more believable, and it could have happened, even if it's not as glamorous a story about how they got their name.

Do you ever have people giving you one present and telling you it's both your birthday and Christmas present? That happens to a friend of mine every year! Her birthday's December 21st.
PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 21:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Quote:
Do you ever have people giving you one present and telling you it's both your birthday and Christmas present? That happens to a friend of mine every year! Her birthday's December 21st.

My daughter's birthday is Christmas day! We celebrate her "half birthday" on June 25, so she still gets a "special" day.

PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 22:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
My daughter's birthday is Christmas day! We celebrate her "half birthday" on June 25, so she still gets a "special" day.

That's great, Susan! At least she gets her own special day! Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 23:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Quote:

I think that scenario is more believable, and it could have happened, even if it's not as glamorous a story about how they got their name.

I'm lucky my birthday is 6th of December so I get proper birthday and Christmas pressies,I insist on it.But having said that if Allan was to offer himself as a joint Xmas and b'day pressie,well I'd make an exception Wink Wink (just this once!).

PostPosted:Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

snowflake wrote:
Quote:

Susan that is so lovely,what a nice mum you are Smile Smile .

PostPosted:Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carlane3 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

shootthebusstop wrote:
snowflake wrote:
Quote:

My birthday is the 25th of December , and I still get gifts wrapped in half christmas/ half birthday paper. Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Wed Sep 19, 2007 14:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

carlane3 wrote:
shootthebusstop wrote:
snowflake wrote:
Quote:

My birthday is the 25th of December , and I still get gifts wrapped in half christmas/ half birthday paper. Rolling Eyes
Aaaaaaaaah! that's sad Crying or Very sad .I'll try and remember to wish you Happy Birthday on Christmas Day Smile .

PostPosted:Wed Sep 19, 2007 20:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3