graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » "Papa Rain" and "Witchy Woman" on "
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject: "Papa Rain" and "Witchy Woman" on "
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

"Papa Rain" is a great and absolutely unusual Hollies tune. It is very hard to sing with very unusual harmonies. Mikael sings it brilliantly and the three-part harmonies in the middle part are very beautiful. It doesn't happen very often that I need to listen to a Hollies song more than once to learn to like it more and more. This is a real exception.
"Witchy Woman" is a real rocker. The Eagles' version is excellent and The Hollies version has a bit of a different feeling but they make it their own with this version and again there is a brilliant soulful singing by Mikael. The harmonies sound even better than on the Eagles' original. Great song performed great by The Hollies. Very Happy
PostPosted:Sat Aug 18, 2007 15:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Yes I would agree here benny. "Papa Rain" does'nt have any noteabal soaring chorus and is quite a sedate song. It is lovely to hear Tony on Sitar guitar and he plays it in a very laid back manner which is very fitting for the song. I like the way that it got mixed in using reverb to create a distant and in the background feel to it. Overall, I think it's great to have a completely new(old) song from this Hollies line up, and might I add a real gem. Don't you think the Hollies harmonies from this line up were so distinct, rich and wonderful. I always thought this about "Romany" and found it interesting that Geoff should make reference to this in the foot notes when he said "firm emphasis on harmony vocals" they really, in my opinion blended briliantly together.
Cheers Ray
PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, I absolutely agree to what you said. The harmony vocals blended brilliantly together. Hope for a release of the unissued but listed Rickfors-era songs "Heaven In Her Heart" and "On The Summer Side Of Life". I hope that it won't be another "Romany" then. I don't want to have three of them. Why didn't they put them on this "Romany" edition ?
Oh, yes. "Papa Rain" has a wonderful fitting guitar sitar work by Tony. I forgot to mention that. Wink
PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 13:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think Geoff mentioned that those two tracks weren't useable.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there are going to be any more releases of this nature from EMI?

benny-b-goode wrote:
Yes, I absolutely agree to what you said. The harmony vocals blended brilliantly together. Hope for a release of the unissued but listed Rickfors-era songs "Heaven In Her Heart" and "On The Summer Side Of Life". I hope that it won't be another "Romany" then. I don't want to have three of them. Why didn't they put them on this "Romany" edition ?
Oh, yes. "Papa Rain" has a wonderful fitting guitar sitar work by Tony. I forgot to mention that. Wink

PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 14:31 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hopefully they will reissue some more albums like this.

If they do Out On The Road. I wonder could something live be included like the simulcast from In Concert or if there is anything in Wolfgang's Vault or a Rickfors radio session. Though I can understand them not wanting it out there.
PostPosted:Sun Aug 19, 2007 16:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I am looking forward to hearing Papa Rain and Witchy Woman. However, this copy of Romany will be my third copy of the album- the first being from the Four More Originals and the second from Magic Records with the Out On the Road selections. Then Out On the Road came out. Having mutiple copies of the the same album can become a little expensive but at least we can get these previously unreleased songs.
PostPosted:Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

malco wrote:
I am looking forward to hearing Papa Rain and Witchy Woman. However, this copy of Romany will be my third copy of the album- the first being from the Four More Originals and the second from Magic Records with the Out On the Road selections. Then Out On the Road came out. Having mutiple copies of the the same album can become a little expensive but at least we can get these previously unreleased songs.

This new version has the best sonic quality. Buy it and sell the others on eBay!

PostPosted:Mon Aug 20, 2007 15:04 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
malco wrote:

This new version has the best sonic quality. Buy it and sell the others on eBay!

Those of us who are completists don't have that option!
PostPosted:Mon Aug 20, 2007 15:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
James Towill wrote:
malco wrote:

Those of us who are completists don't have that option!

I'm running out of space, sold the Magic version ages ago but may keep the Four More Originals box. Wink

PostPosted:Mon Aug 20, 2007 15:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I also think Papa Rain and Witchy Woman are great recordings!

Papa Rain has a very sophisticated production - everythig is tastefully arrangend! The harmonies are great and the playing is really tight.

Same goes for Witchy Woman - tight and funky playing by the band and of course great singing. As arrangements go 1971-1973 were the best years for the band in my opinion. Exactly they right mixture between acoustic and electric guitars, tight drum and bass sound and where needed an interesting extra instrument or effects/distortion on the guitars - benefitted by the crystal clear production of those albums which gives each instrument room to shine but is also very much "together" which makes the instruments sound like a unit.
PostPosted:Tue Aug 21, 2007 14:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Excellent points made here. Yes, the 1971-3 era contained tracks that weren't so "immediate"; more of the 'have-to-listen-to-a-few-times' variety. I like that quality. I think the songs from this period were more arty, moody, and were deeper musically and lyrically. It really is a crime that the majority of the public knows the band only for their hits. It robs them of some of The Hollies' more subtle creations, such as "Papa Rain" and others.

This is a supremely fine CD from EMI. Let's hope they do the right thing and give us a proper release (after 34 years!) of "Out On The Road" from the master tapes. We deserve that much.
PostPosted:Tue Aug 21, 2007 15:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Great comments, DistantLight and Dennis - totally agree.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 21, 2007 15:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1