graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Enough already! - again
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Just taking this subject further, it set me thinking, what is a natural life-span for a group when earnings are not in the millions. Obviously you can exclude the Stones, or U2 as you would be a fool to leave when you consider their earnings, but how many groups stay together (and I mean stay together, rather than reform 20 years later when millions can be earned again) for longer than their time in the spotlight?

I really cannot think of many: The Hollies are obviously one (35 years with Clarke; 43 totally), but how many other groups have consistently been together without a split
PostPosted:Fri Jul 06, 2007 15:16 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Groups together without ever splitting up....

The Ventures (Since 1959 !!!!)
Chicago (since circa 1967)
The Searchers (since 1961)
The Moody Blues (since 1963 or 64 - They Took a 5 year break...between 1973 and 1978....but NEVER actually disbanded )
PostPosted:Sat Jul 07, 2007 13:38 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin Dodd Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

marko661 wrote:
Just taking this subject further, it set me thinking, what is a natural life-span for a group when earnings are not in the millions. Obviously you can exclude the Stones, or U2 as you would be a fool to leave when you consider their earnings, but how many groups stay together (and I mean stay together, rather than reform 20 years later when millions can be earned again) for longer than their time in the spotlight?

I really cannot think of many: The Hollies are obviously one (35 years with Clarke; 43 totally), but how many other groups have consistently been together without a split

Maybe all the changes they have had over the years has kept them that way!!

Fresh blood in a group is always good.

Martin
PostPosted:Tue Jul 10, 2007 21:24 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hofner65 Post subject:

Going back to the earliest post...

Terry has it in his contracts to NOT be billed as 'of The Hollies'. He goes through great pains to make sure that 'ex-Hollies' or 'formerly of The Hollies' is used as the proper way to be billed. He was in the group longer than Graham and Eric, and sang lead on several touring occasions - when Allan fell ill, and felt ill enough to quit and go solo.

When you hear 'The Air That I Breathe' on the air filter commercial, you hear his soaring high harmonies. When you visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, it's his guitar used in the recording of that song, that is hanging on the wall.

And when the movie 'Elizabethtown' came out last year, 'Jesus Was A Crossmaker' was the first song - 'the establishing shot' - to appear...in which he harmonizes with himself on the recording. Give credit where it's due.

He has the right to perform as being part of the group during their most 'commercially successful' period, until the day he chooses not to. And bringing joy to the people in the crowd, bringing back memories with those classic songs, is the most important aspect of performing those hits.

The Taste of Wisconsin last year was a perfect example...it was the PROMOTER trying to take advantage by using The Hollies name...NOT at Terry's request. He had to badger the promoter to stop.

And inregards to a more recent post...yes, The Searchers didn't break up...instead, they 'cloned.' Mike Pender has a version of the band, and John McNally/Frank Allen have a version. They are constantly in legal wrangles because of it. IMHO Mike's is far inferior to McNally's.

Peter Noone is constantly trying to protect the 'Herman's Hermits' name from the original drummer Barry Whitwam.

The Temptations had TWO versions in the 80's, and now the late coming lead singer Richard Street has a 'version' of the band., billing himself as 'the former lead singer of...' when in reality, he sang lead on ONE low charting single. in the 70's...NOT the classics like 'My Girl', 'and 'Can't Get Next To You'.

Folks....just accept all this as part of 'the industry'. Go out and enjoy any of the bands,,,or members of...your favorite bands. They won't be around much longer as we grow older.

PostPosted:Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

John McNally does not have a "Version" of The Searchers...he was the founder member and legally owns the "bandname"....Mike Pender chose to quit the group and try a solo career....then formed Mike Pender's Searchers.
PostPosted:Wed Jul 11, 2007 20:39 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

A couple of other points....

Re the singles Charts figures given (which were compiled from all the available worldwide chart placings details when "Long Road Home" box set was being put together),

I think the version of "Blowin' in The Wind" that got to number 8 in Belgium and number 9 in Holland in either late 1968 or 1969 was actually the "Nash Version" as I don't recall the "Sylvester version" actually being issued on a single.
PostPosted:Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:18 am

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Re above I would add that "A Crazy Steal" was actually issued in the USA in 1978 on Epic records although sadly it failed to chart....Epic records later dropped the band in 1979.
PostPosted:Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:15 am

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Geoff,

I take your points and the Hollies success does seem to get patchier after Nash leaves but I wonder about the relative value of the American market especially back in the day.

For example, The Hollies supposedly sold about 4 million singles in the UK, while LCW sold 1 million copies (is this true or a myth) in the US.

Also what did getting to 20 or so in the US album charts in the early '70s and having a bit of a following mean. I remember reading a Procol Harum interview in which one of the band members said they always sold about 200,000 albums in the US. I don't think they charted very well though. Would the likes of Distant Light have sold around this amount in America?

It would be interesting to know.

Michael
PostPosted:Sat Jul 14, 2007 16:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think part of the problem re later "Commercial success" is that back in the sixties there was a "British Invasion" of the world musically ....and The Hollies were a part of it.....but not so in the Seventies or later...only their famous name , plus any public exposure of their new material would obtain any form of commercial success...there was no later "Beat Boom" wave to ride in on.....
PostPosted:Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:46 am

Last edited by Gee on Mon Jan 04, 2010 19:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, I think that this is the point I absolutely agree to. The Hollies and their post 1974 material needs more promotion.
PostPosted:Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Isn't this just what Magic records have been doing the last years. I think their job is admirable. This enables everyone to get hold of all those post-60's albums on CD via Amazon and other sources.

What I would hope for now, is a new album and a Rarities Vol 2. I think we deserve both. The new songs have vitalised the group in concert, although I still find Staying power a bit flat on record, largely due to the production.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Mon Jul 16, 2007 20:55 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Knut,

yes, you're Right. Magic Records have done a great job (except for "Romany" and "Out On The Road" because I'm not satisfied with the sound of many of the tracks).
But this is not what I meant with promotion. The Magic Records releases (especially those of 2006 and 2007) could not be found in any CD store here in Germany. THey just could be ordered via Amazon. That means that noone took notice of those releases like "5317704" or "A Crazy Steal" except for die hard Hollies fans.
PostPosted:Thu Jul 19, 2007 15:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
Hi Knut,

yes, you're Right. Magic Records have done a great job (except for "Romany" and "Out On The Road" because I'm not satisfied with the sound of many of the tracks).
But this is not what I meant with promotion. The Magic Records releases (especially those of 2006 and 2007) could not be found in any CD store here in Germany. THey just could be ordered via Amazon. That means that noone took notice of those releases like "5317704" or "A Crazy Steal" except for die hard Hollies fans.

For what it's worth, the U.S. mix of Romany has always been far superior to the official UK release. Unfortunately, that mix will never see a digital release, and your only source for it is to find old 1972 LP's on the Epic label.
PostPosted:Thu Jul 19, 2007 15:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:
Hi Knut,

For what it's worth, the U.S. mix of Romany has always been far superior to the official UK release. Unfortunately, that mix will never see a digital release, and your only source for it is to find old 1972 LP's on the Epic label.

I haven't been too keen on the Rickfors era Magic releases either. The packaging has been nice (especially the recent "Out on the Road"). but the sound quality is not great.

Thank you for confirming what I have said before, that the US Epic "Romany" sounds better. Epic mixed it especially for radio play, and did a beautiful job. Who knows, maybe it will come out eventually. Epic (or Sundazed?) has to do SOMETHING with the remaining catalog.
PostPosted:Thu Jul 19, 2007 20:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2