graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Enough already! - again
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Eloise Post subject: Enough already! - again

I think I've been able to come up with what I don't like about the idea of this New Hollies (and I shall refer to them as THE NEW HOLLIES from here on out). I'll try and not be rude, I promise.

Bobby Elliott and Tony Hicks are masters of their instruments...undoubtedly. These guys can, and do, play anything (and everything), but here's the problem. By 1976, Bobby and Tony had become such "adaptable" musicians that they lost their "distinctive" sounds. In other words, they just sounded like the session players they were trying to copy.

Granted, the 1960's and 1970's material differed greatly, but listen to a drum part like the one on "Look Through Any Window" or the guitar part on "I Can't Let Go." You can listen to those and truly hear the Original Hollies' sound. But where is it on the BUDDY HOLLY album? Where is that sound on STAYING POWER? Tony Hicks sounds like "Joe Anybody" on guitar now (and that might not be a bad thing for a player his age) and, let's face it, Bobby "types" in his drum parts now on a programming board. Truly, the only thing that kept the Original Hollies style going through the 1980's to the 1990's was Allan Clarke's voice. With that gone, you may as well listen to music from the group 'Train.'

It saddens me that the Hollies never took the recording thing seriously until Clarke was gone. That's insult to injury, and has anyone else noticed the media silence from Allan Clarke since STAYING POWER came out? Unless I missed it, where's Clarkie's "two-cents" interview???

Recording the latest album wasn't a good idea, unless they were under pressure to do something to keep their EMI contract. The New Hollies exist today to keep audiences happy that still want to hear the classic hits. That's a good enough reason to keep going, I guess. Plus, since most of their faces are newer, they have to make sure that Eric Haydock's show doesn't pick up more speed and get casual fans more confused than they might be.

Also, there's always the threat of Terry Sylvester making the rounds. An American fan contacted me and said that at a recent Sylvester show in the States, he does none of his solo material, it's all Hollies. He's billed as 'Terry Sylvester Of The Hollies' quite a bit too. At the show, this fan said, as far as the people (casual fans, probably) in the crowd, Terry WAS Allan Clarke. That should make Tony and Bobby think twice about who's in the band now, don't you think?
PostPosted:Wed Jun 20, 2007 18:48 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
frostina Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Oh, give it a rest, will you? Quite frankly, your post doesn't even make sense.
PostPosted:Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

frostina wrote:
your post doesn't even make sense.

Why Question

Interesting about Terry Sylvester's sets containing mostly/wholly Hollies songs. A Sylvester set list is something I've not actually seen. I have heard a recording of a few songs from 1994 and his voice has deteriorated, certainly not as clear, and the pitch is lowered (although this is to be expected).

PostPosted:Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:08 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Johngill Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

what a bizarre post . . . . I don't think there is one coherent point made.
PostPosted:Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Tony Wilkinson Post subject:

Sorry, meant to warn you that the thought police would be on to you..........!!!!

You must toe the line on this forum.......
PostPosted:Thu Jun 21, 2007 13:49 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Eloise Post subject:

Yep, I guess so. Toe the line or be labelled as a 'loon' for making points that nobody wants to address. I guess I'm the grinch who stole Christmas around here.
PostPosted:Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:00 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lou Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I guess so. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted:Fri Jun 22, 2007 16:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Eloise Post subject:

Johngill wrote:
what a bizarre post . . . . I don't think there is one coherent point made.

Hmmmmmmmm.....I could debate you point for point on this. What exactly did you find incoherent??
PostPosted:Fri Jun 22, 2007 17:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Carrie Eloise,

You made some valid points. Just ignore frostina and johngill. They were silent until now, and can't even make any valid points of their own to back up their position.
PostPosted:Sat Jun 23, 2007 17:23 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lou Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Quote:

"I think I've been able to come up with what I don't like about the idea of this New Hollies (and I shall refer to them as THE NEW HOLLIES from here on out). I'll try and not be rude, I promise. "

Oh the irony. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted:Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think Carrie Eloise makes some valid points, as I tend to agree. If Howarth were a more distinctive singer, maybe I would feel differently, but he seems so bland and unexciting to me. A singer has to engage me enough for me to want to sing along with him or her, and Howarth just doesn't do that for me (aside from "Suspended Animation", which is a wonderful tune). I had big hopes for the Carl Wayne lineup, as I always liked his work with The Move, but alas the band failed to do a whole album with him, which I think would have been very interesting. I am one of those people who loved "How Do I Survive", the sole new recording they did with Wayne. I thought it was very promising. I'm glad this discussion has begun, as I think it is necessary. We need to be open and completely honest as fans. I want to support the band regardless, but when that crucial rock and roll element is somehow missing. excitement, then it does open up a debate.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 25, 2007 21:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I think the problem with some of the comments made is thatthey seem very aggressive about the current band.

If Allan Clarke had been sacked then I can understand people feeling anti his replacement, however, he wasn't: he retired. The band and we fans therefore have a choice: pack up, or carry on with someone new. I am glad the latter choice was made as Peter Howarth's live performances have been great - I think. If we could bring Clarke back, with his 60-80's voice then I would beg them to do that. But it just won't happen
PostPosted:Tue Jun 26, 2007 15:01 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

marko661 wrote:
I think the problem with some of the comments made is thatthey seem very aggressive about the current band.

If Allan Clarke had been sacked then I can understand people feeling anti his replacement, however, he wasn't: he retired. The band and we fans therefore have a choice: pack up, or carry on with someone new. I am glad the latter choice was made as Peter Howarth's live performances have been great - I think. If we could bring Clarke back, with his 60-80's voice then I would beg them to do that. But it just won't happen

Lesson to be learned: don't take up cigarette smoking, especially if you are a singer in a world famous band!
PostPosted:Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:26 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="Dennis"]
marko661 wrote:
Lesson to be learned: don't take up cigarette smoking, especially if you are a singer in a world famous band!

The worst example of vocals damaged by smoking has to be John Entwistle. My God, he sounded rough!

PostPosted:Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Beach Boy....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Another example of a once superb voice deteriorating to a "hoarse croak"...was The Late Great Dennis Wilson of The Beach Boys...
PostPosted:Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:56 am

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic