graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - no Hollies nomination again
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - no Hollies nomination again
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I can live with that - it's an American institution, with a bunch of lousy, mediocre and even one-hot-wonder acts and even non-rock acts included. I know that there's a long-standing tendency to overlook UK groups, and I'll be the first to admit that a lot of popular British acts have no business in this or any other hall of fame.

But for the love of God, how can the Dave Clark Five of all groups get nominated and the Hollies still be left on the outside looking in?

This is just a nomination, with no guarantee of admission. But the DC5? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they have an active relevant career of merely four or five years? I like five or six of their songs well enough, but here's the DC5 in a nutshell - powerful lead vocalist with a strong R&B style, decent not great guitars, too much keyboards, and crappy drumming. And that's a Hall of Fame nominee?

I'd think that a DC5 nomination is a joke if I hadn't read it in today's newspaper.
PostPosted:Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Dave Clark 5 is nominatetd? That does indeed sound like a joke!
PostPosted:Tue Oct 31, 2006 17:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, but does Clark not have a kinda media thing going? He owns the rights to Ready Steady Go! and stuff like that I think. Amazing how far the old contacts will stretch.

PostPosted:Tue Oct 31, 2006 18:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I don't think the DC 5 thing is a joke. The Hollies not being in it is a joke but that doesn't negate the DC 5. They probably had a bigger impact in America than The Hollies ever had.

Michael
PostPosted:Tue Oct 31, 2006 19:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Michael may be right that the DC5 were enormous in the early 60s in the US, but Hollies had big hits in the US in the 70s too, and even in the 80s! which should have some impact.

What happened to the last petition?

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Tue Oct 31, 2006 21:36 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

With the Hall of fame, it's not the fact who gets in but the way the Hollies never make it. The Hollies had 3 big world wide hits with LCW, He ain't heavy & the Air that I breathe so you would think that would be enough to get them in, hey and we all know they had a hit or two in the 60's too.
I'm happy DC5 got in, they are better than most of the other acts that have made it over the years.
I always say as long as we know how good the Hollies are, the Hall of shame really means nothing.
Hollies rule.
Anthony

PostPosted:Wed Nov 01, 2006 0:16 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It's no surprise to me that The Hollies never got any nominations because they never seem to get a vote in anything. The Hollies should get more recognition and are one band who really deserve to be voted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame (or shame as it is better known to most of us here) because they out lasted 99% of other band who were around in the 60's/70's and had a lot more hits not only in Britain but all over the would than most bands/singers from that era too I don't mind Dave Clark getting in though.

As far as The Hollies are concerned, those people who vote in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Shame wouldn't know talent if it came up an bit them.

Susie

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted:Wed Nov 01, 2006 0:33 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Cathy60 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Susie Hewett wrote:

As far as The Hollies are concerned, those people who vote in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Shame wouldn't know talent if it came up an bit them.

Susie

Hi Susie Exclamation

I agree with you 100%.

Catherine
PostPosted:Tue Dec 12, 2006 0:57 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Jane Post subject:

Susie Hewett wrote:

Susie

Hello Susie,

You said it all and I couldn't have said that better myself.

Jane
PostPosted:Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Be thankful none of those awful rappers, hip-hop singers, or airheaded, bubble-brained bimbos like Britney Spears or Christian Aguilera will not be eligible for induction for another twenty years, because if they ever got in before the Hollies, well, there would be blood spilling. Even when they are eligible, I bet everyone will be up in arms over it.

(Ugh! I actually mentioned those pieces of trash in the same sentence as the Hollies. How revolting!)

Vrinda Very Happy Exclamation
PostPosted:Wed Dec 13, 2006 22:10 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lou Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Yes the Dave Clark 5 are certainly great enough to warrant
induction into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.
No doubt about it. Michael Smith is one of the greatest
vocalist of the 60's. I'd put him second to Allan Clarke
as far as British bands go.

Their influence on rock music was heard far and wide.

The real bummer is that the DC5 WERE voted in to the
R&R HOF . Rolling Eyes

The following is from an online article...

Rock Hall Voting Scandal: Rock Group Actually Won

According to sources knowledgeable about the mysterious ways of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, British Invasion group The Dave Clark Five and not Grandmaster Flash finished fifth in the final voting of the nominating committee and should have been inducted on Monday night.

According to sources, Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner, who recently appointed himself chairman of the Foundation after the death of Ahmet Ertegun, ignored the final voting and chose Grandmaster Flash over the DC5 for this year's ceremony.

read the whole article here scroll down the page a bit till you find it.

Apparently the inmates are in charge of the asylum.

PostPosted:Fri Jun 15, 2007 17:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Speaking of Manchester...Davy Jones from the Pre-Fab Four was on Fox's "The O'Reilly Factor" last week, ostensibly to talk about Czar Jann Wenner's efforts to keep The Monkees from getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Most of the short conversation, however, was Davy waxing nostalgically by touring in the 60s with people like Jimi Hendrix, etc.

One of the things O'Reilly and Jones talked about was that the Monkees' sales alone should get them into the RRHOF. I disagree; I think you need to look at a performer's creativity as well. The Hollies certainly had the creativity...too bad they didn't have the same run of hits in the US from '63-'66 as the did in the UK and Europe; it would have made them harder to ignore.

Still, I found myself cheering the Monkees on, simply I can't stand what Wenner is doing to the institution!

The trouble with any system of inclusion, such as the RRHOF , is that the focus often shifts to those who have been excluded! Yes, the Hollies should be in Cleveland's RRHOF. However, when they already included in the RRHOF that is in the minds and hearts of everyone here, "I guess it doesn't matter anymore...".

PostPosted:Mon Jun 18, 2007 17:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

brandy wrote:
Speaking of Manchester...Davy Jones from the Pre-Fab Four was on Fox's "The O'Reilly Factor" last week, ostensibly to talk about Czar Jann Wenner's efforts to keep The Monkees from getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Most of the short conversation, however, was Davy waxing nostalgically by touring in the 60s with people like Jimi Hendrix, etc.

One of the things O'Reilly and Jones talked about was that the Monkees' sales alone should get them into the RRHOF. I disagree; I think you need to look at a performer's creativity as well. The Hollies certainly had the creativity...too bad they didn't have the same run of hits in the US from '63-'66 as the did in the UK and Europe; it would have made them harder to ignore.

Still, I found myself cheering the Monkees on, simply I can't stand what Wenner is doing to the institution!

The trouble with any system of inclusion, such as the RRHOF , is that the focus often shifts to those who have been excluded! Yes, the Hollies should be in Cleveland's RRHOF. However, when they already included in the RRHOF that is in the minds and hearts of everyone here, "I guess it doesn't matter anymore...".

I wish there were a way to get a Hollies petition to Mr. Wenner's desk!
PostPosted:Mon Jun 18, 2007 18:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1