graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Class of '64 at Albert Halls, Stirling 22 May 2007
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Class of '64 at Albert Halls, Stirling 22 May 2007
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

CLASS OF ’64 AT ALBERT HALLS, STIRLING - 22 MAY 2007
Quite a good gig last night at this venue which I saw the Hollies with Carl Wayne play in March 2004; I was almost in the same seat as that night, too! Around about 200 people were in the audience for the two hour gig which was played in two sets.

The band consisted of Chip Hawkes on guitar/vocals (occasional bass and drums) ex-Tremeloes, Mick Avory on drums (ex-Kinks) with bass by Jeff Brown (ex-Andy Scott’s Sweet), and Ted Tomlin and Alan Lovell on guitars/vox. Hawkes announced at the start that Eric Haydock would not be appearing due to ‘legal action by the Hollies’. I was disappointed by Eric’s absence, but nevertheless it was great to see Mick playing and he’s still a very competent drummer. I had thought that legal issues were resolved surrounding Eric and the current Hollies, but it would appear not. Notably the posters did feature 'Eric Haydock (HOLLIES)' so this may be part of the problem.

They are very good musicians and it was a good night, but a very Butlins-esque variety performance feel to the gig (and looking at their tour schedule one can understand why). The audience seemed to be most interested in the Hollies and Kinks songs, although the Tremeloes numbers were warmly received too.

Just One Look, Long Cool Woman, Bus Stop and The Air That I Breathe were the Hollies standards featured. None of them sounded as good as the actual Hollies but were played well. Highlights for me were Dedicated Follower of Fashion’ (sung by Mick Avory!), Silence Is Golden (without rhythm section), I Shall Be Released, Bad Moon Rising, Call Me Number One, Waterloo Sunset and You Really Got Me.

All in all a good night, and the band came out afterwards to do a signing – I took along the Kinks albums Lola Versus Powerman and Schoolboys In Disgrace – two of my favourite ‘70’s albums. Mick Avory duly signed these classics!

It really is Chip Hawkes’ band to be honest and I would say that they would be better to stick with the material Haydock recorded whilst with the Hollies (in other words nothing past I Can’t Let Go) instead of venturing into early ‘70’s classics. I have heard that they also do He Ain’t Heavy but I have reservations about how that would sound to be honest.

Class of ’64 are worth catching – I would consider going back to see them if Eric Haydock returns.

PostPosted:Wed May 23, 2007 19:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Does this group have a professionally recorded concert CD available?
PostPosted:Wed May 23, 2007 20:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Just one where it appears to be their stage-show re-recorded in the studio - see http://www.theclassof64.net/

It features Just One Look, LCW, Air, Bus Stop and Look Through Any Window from the Hollies canon.

PostPosted:Wed May 23, 2007 20:42 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

It's covers of five big hits (each) from The Hollies, The Tremeloes and The Kinks. Class of '64 plays pretty straight versions of these songs, and while the CD is fun, I was a bit disappointed that they didn't bring a little more variation to the original versions - although Air That I Breathe has a little more of a country flavor than the Hollies' original. A friend sent it over from the UK after having all the then-members sign it. Except for Mick Avory, James - he was MIA! So I'm glad you got his. Well, at least I have Chip's and Eric's, lol!

PostPosted:Thu May 24, 2007 13:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

brandy wrote:
Well, at least I have Chip's and Eric's, lol!

Rub it in smarty pants! Laughing Laughing

PostPosted:Thu May 24, 2007 21:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject: Class of '64 at Albert Halls, Stirling
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the review.
Too bad Eric wasn't there.
It seems like they played the same songs as they did in Sweden last December.
I also enjoyed Dedicated Follower Of Fashion, Silence Is Golden and my favourite Waterloo Sunset.
I didn't buy the CD, but I got Eric's, Mick's and Chip's autographs!

PostPosted:Sat May 26, 2007 18:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Class of '64 at Albert Halls, Stirling
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Agneta wrote:
I didn't buy the CD

You're not missing much, think mine might turn up on eBay!

PostPosted:Sun May 27, 2007 17:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1