graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Mikael Rickfors website
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The Kinks did seem to have a workman-like attitude to touring the US. Suppose they had to make up for lost ground after their ban in the late '60's.

How Celluloid Heroes didn't become a hit is a complete mystery. It's got that kind of world-weary feel to it that 'He Ain't Heavy' had/has.

Dennis wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
He was "asked" to depart, because Clarke's solo career fizzled and the Hollies' weren't exactly packin' 'em in, either. So both sides needed Clarke in the Hollies. That left Rickfors on the outside looking in.

A little revisionist history has suggested that Rickfors was somehow glad to leave, but how can anyone believe that?

That's not the greatest episode in the band's history.

The Hollies seldom "packed them in" with Clarke, either, in the US, apart from the small clubs they usually played in their rare US visits. The Hollies never developed a strong fan following in the US because they just didn't tour enough. Compare them with The Kinks, who toured the US consistently during the 1970s. The Kinks developed a strong following by putting themselves in front of the American public even when their record sales weren't great. During their RCA period, they had no hits at all (aside from some FM radio play for "Celluloid Heroes"), but toured the US every year anyway. I know; I saw them many times.

PostPosted:Tue May 15, 2007 20:28 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Was "Celluloid Heroes" even released as a single? I'm not sure.
PostPosted:Tue May 15, 2007 20:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Was "Celluloid Heroes" even released as a single? I'm not sure.

Yep apparently in both the UK and the US, and failed to chart in neither territory. Described as an 'injustice' in the sleevenotes to the superb 'Everybody's In Showbiz' Koch reissue a few years back.

PostPosted:Wed May 16, 2007 12:53 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Quote:
The Hollies seldom "packed them in" with Clarke, either, in the US, apart from the small clubs they usually played in their rare US visits. The Hollies never developed a strong fan following in the US because they just didn't tour enough. Compare them with The Kinks, who toured the US consistently during the 1970s. The Kinks developed a strong following by putting themselves in front of the American public even when their record sales weren't great. During their RCA period, they had no hits at all (aside from some FM radio play for "Celluloid Heroes"), but toured the US every year anyway. I know; I saw them many times.

As did I. Which is why I forgive Ray Davies for all those songs he's written and sung about how tough it is being out on the road!

Maybe the Hollies didn't tour here any more than they did after discovering that Ray was right: "motorway food...it's the worst in the world".

PostPosted:Wed May 16, 2007 13:38 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Lucky guys seeing the Kinks at that time - I wasn't around then Wink

I have seen Ray Davies in later guise on the Storyteller tour of a few years back and he was superb. Word is that he's mentioned being interested in getting the band back together.

It would definitely appear that the Kinks certainly put in a lot of work in the US at the time, probably even more than the likes of The Who.

brandy wrote:
Quote:

As did I. Which is why I forgive Ray Davies for all those songs he's written and sung about how tough it is being out on the road!

Maybe the Hollies didn't tour here any more than they did after discovering that Ray was right: "motorway food...it's the worst in the world".

PostPosted:Thu May 17, 2007 0:03 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

We're straying off topic here, but I don't see how the Kinks can "get back together." Didn't Dave Davies suffer a stroke?

Anyway, for you Americans, keep an eye on your local PBS channel. Ray had a show that was a part of the "Austin City Limits" program, which is regularly repeated.
PostPosted:Thu May 17, 2007 0:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, Dave sufffered a stroke but as far as I know he is fine now. If they did get back together I couldn't see a big tour as a result, maybe just a studio album.

SpartyScott wrote:
We're straying off topic here, but I don't see how the Kinks can "get back together." Didn't Dave Davies suffer a stroke?

Anyway, for you Americans, keep an eye on your local PBS channel. Ray had a show that was a part of the "Austin City Limits" program, which is regularly repeated.

PostPosted:Thu May 17, 2007 14:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lou Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I'm like SO guilty of joining in the off topic part of
this discussion. Embarassed

I caught the Kinks LIVE twice. Cool
Once it was a grand extravaganza with awesome
light show and dancers for certain tunes ...quite
unlike anything I'd ever seen. The other time it
was like seeing a bar band at the corner pub. Wild huh ?

PostPosted:Thu May 17, 2007 22:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I saw The Kinks every time they toured the US in the '70s, from 1971 onwards. I even went to NBC studios when they hosted "The Midnight Special" and saw them there. You can catch part of it on the recent Midnight Special DVD where they do "You Really Got Me". Funny, but I lost interest after that; missed the '80s Arista "stadium" era entirely.
PostPosted:Fri May 18, 2007 19:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
'80s Arista "stadium" era.

Some interesting stuff in this era, Dennis - worth investigating!

PostPosted:Sat May 19, 2007 15:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Lou,
The first concert you mention sounds it could have been from the Soap Opera tour...did they wear the day-glo wigs? Thank to the vagaries of Midwest weather in the early spring, I got to see the world premier of that album/show in St. Paul, MN - it was supposed to be in another city, but courtesy of a late March blizzard that nixed that gig... Smile

Yep, Dave had a stroke...and Ray got shot. So when and if the freres Davies reconcile, they will have another chance to argue over who's life has been worse. The tension between Ray and Dave has always been one of the overlooked factors in the success of the Kinks. And then there is the whole "Kinks vs. the rest of the world" angle, lol. Another motivator!

"The USA's most ardent and true blue,loyal Hollies fan", huh? You should have been with me in 2002-04!!!!! That was madness....

Going to see Terry S. at the Fest for Beatles Fans in August?

PostPosted:Tue May 22, 2007 15:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Dennis wrote:

No doubt, but I have enough trouble dealing with the long career of The Hollies.
PostPosted:Fri May 25, 2007 19:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Not enough hours in the day, Dennis! Very Happy

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:
Dennis wrote:

No doubt, but I have enough trouble dealing with the long career of The Hollies.

PostPosted:Sat May 26, 2007 11:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Not enough hours in the day, Dennis! Very Happy

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:
Dennis wrote:

So true. I don't know how longtime fans of bands like The Who and The Stones cope! The Who especially, after so many supposedly "farewell" tours. There's a lot to be said for bowing out gracefully, but it seems some rockers just can't leave well enough alone.
PostPosted:Sun May 27, 2007 20:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Here's a link to download some of MR's albums:

http://www.7digital.com/stores/listing.aspx?shop=122&masterartist=28575

PostPosted:Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3