The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Class of 64 in Västerås,Sweden
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject: Class of 64 in Västerås,Sweden
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi!
Last Friday, I went to a concert with Class of 64, in Vasteras, 320 kilometers from where I live in Sweden.
As perhaps you know, they are: singer Chip Hawkes, ex Tremeloes, drummer Mick Avory, ex Kinks, bass-guitarist Eric Haydock (need I say ex Hollies?), guitarists Telecaster Ted Tomlin, and Graham Pollock who also played keyboard.

For two and a half hours, including a 30 minutes break, they played old hits from the Hollies, Kinks and Tremeloes, three of my favourite bands in the 60s, a few songs by other artists, and a new song.
The Hollies' songs they played were: Just One Look, Long Cool Woman, Look Through Any Window, Bus Stop, I Can't Let Go and The Air That I Breathe.

It was a really good concert. The audience knew the songs and sang along, and clapped enthusiastically after each number.
Chip Hawkes did most of the talking, with humour and self-irony and joked aboout their mature age. Among other things, he said Graham Pollock brought the band's average age down to about 72! Scottish Graham showed us that he could speak some Danish!
Eric Haydock did a long monologue at the end of the first half of the concert. Among other things, he said that he knew that most of us had come to see him,
that Graham Nash would have skinned him alive if he knew he did a Searchers' song (Walk In The Room) because Graham hated the Searchers, and asked us to buy their record because he needed money to buy a new car. He wore dark glasses.
Bus Stop ended the first half, and after the break they started off with I Can't Let Go.
Although they didn't do the Hollies' songs quite as well as the Hollies themselves, it still felt great to hear them.
Chip Hawkes sang his old hits, like Silence Is Golden, just as well as I remember them, and towards the end of the concert, Mick Avory came forward and sang a good version of Dedicated Follower Of Fashion, after having said that he didn't know any Kinks songs, while Chip took over on drums.
The audience really didn't want to let them go, and after the extra song Even The Bad Times Are Good, they also did Me And My Life.
After the show, they all sat down and signed autographs and talked to the fans for about 20 minutes, and that was much appreciated.
I really enjoyed the concert.

Agneta

PostPosted:Sat Dec 09, 2006 19:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SheLenka Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Dear Agneta,
thank you very much for the review. It must have been a great concert, although I still regret missing Dalhalla much, much more Wink

Lenka
PostPosted:Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:47 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dear Lenka,

It was a great concert, but I enjoyed Dalhalla much more. I'm sorry you missed it.
I was lucky to be able to attend it. I could easily have missed it too, and then I probably wouldn't have come in contact with you and all the other friendly people on this forum, and that would have been a shame.
I hope you'll be able to see the Hollies some other time.

Agneta

PostPosted:Sat Dec 16, 2006 22:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Class of '64 are playing in Stirling in just over a week's time, think I might wander along to see how good they are.

PostPosted:Sat May 12, 2007 15:47 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I hope you do. It would be interesting to see what you think about them.

PostPosted:Sun May 13, 2007 20:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Agneta wrote:
I hope you do. It would be interesting to see what you think about them.

I'm going to book a ticket tomorrow and I'll post a review on here. I notice that they advertise doing 'The Air That I Breathe' - think that's a bit much, but anything when Haydock was in the group would be interesting.

PostPosted:Sun May 13, 2007 21:06 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

James Towill wrote:

I'm going to book a ticket tomorrow and I'll post a review on here. I notice that they advertise doing 'The Air That I Breathe' - think that's a bit much, but anything when Haydock was in the group would be interesting.

Great!
As I wrote in my review, I enjoyed the concert very much, but I also thought it was a little bit strange that they did 'The Air That I Breathe' and 'Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress', songs that the Hollies recorded long after Eric left the group.
PostPosted:Mon May 14, 2007 20:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Agneta wrote:
James Towill wrote:

Great!
As I wrote in my review, I enjoyed the concert very much, but I also thought it was a little bit strange that they did 'The Air That I Breathe' and 'Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress', songs that the Hollies recorded long after Eric left the group.

No surprise to me, as I'm sure that their materials do not claim that they necessarily participated on each song performed.

Anyway, I'm sure that on Top Of The Pops in 1981 or whenever that was, Eric DID in fact play a part of those songs when they performed HolliDaze, so everything is OK, right?
PostPosted:Mon May 14, 2007 20:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="SpartyScott"][quote="Agneta"]
James Towill wrote:

Anyway, I'm sure that on Top Of The Pops in 1981 or whenever that was, Eric DID in fact play a part of those songs when they performed HolliDaze, so everything is OK, right?

He mimed the parts of the songs, no new recording was done as far as I know.

I saw something on the internet today that said EH played bass on 'Heavy'. I think not!

PostPosted:Mon May 14, 2007 21:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1