The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies Live DVD
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
firstly I want to ask with the more songs section can you play them all, after every song it goes back to the song menue. Does it have a play all?

Yes, strange that little quirk Question

PostPosted:Wed Apr 11, 2007 16:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Dennis wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
My copy arrived in Saturday's mail (thanks Rob).

And yes, it plays just fine on DVD players sold in the U.S., and I fired it up on two different units. Each played the disc without problems.

Hey SpartyScott (fellow USA Hollies fan)
What do you think of the DVD? How are the videos from Staying Power? The performance of "The Baby"?

The Baby was good, which surprised me because that's not a favorite Hollies song of mine. In fact, I like almost every Rickfors-era track from the two LP's he made with the Hollies more than that single. Instrumentally, the group was solid. And Howarth's vocal range comfortably hits the notes on Rickfors lead vocal songs. I'd like to hear Peter doing Slow Down or Blue In The Morning (each of which is a FAR superior song when compared to The Baby).

For the most part, the Hollies on stage can duplicate their studio sound from the new album. I confess that I'm not a huge fan of the Staying Power album, so I'm probably not the best person to talk about their concert performances of the tracks from that disc.

Peter did miss a couple of lines when singing the oldies, so perhaps they were a touch underrehearsed.

I guess I didn't make myself clear; I meant to ask about the 3 videos from Staying Power, which are concept pieces I presume (?), not concert performances. I'm most interested in the Suspended Animation clip. Is there also a live version of it on the DVD?
Yes, I wish more Rickfors-era tunes would be performed by the current lineup. But then I felt the same way about the Carl Wayne lineup, too.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 11, 2007 16:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Live DVD
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It is ironic we have had three excellent Hollies DVD's so close together !, lets hope this will continue as there IS a market for such DVD releases.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:18 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Yes my copy just arrived today. This is definately well worth the money. Great live performances of songs and good to see the studio shots of some of the songs from "Staying Power" Thanks Rob for sending this out to us.
Cheers Ray
PostPosted:Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:37 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Geoff

I know you say there is a market for this sort of thing and Hollies fans always tell me and have commented on here and other forums that they are crying out for such releases but the reality is, I have sold 60 copies WORLWIDE from the website which has average hits of 24,000 per day.

That will hardly prompt either the band, EMI or anyone else for that matter to invest in another product.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Tue Apr 17, 2007 18:45 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

This is a question for anyone in the USA who has bought the DVD, (14 of you), can you play it ok on your machines.

One person has bought it and can't get it to play on several machines and even his PC.

Looking for a solution here.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Tue Apr 17, 2007 18:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I will play the DVD in all of the DVD players in my house tonight, and give you a report on my results.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 17, 2007 18:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

hollies wrote:
This is a question for anyone in the USA who has bought the DVD, (14 of you), can you play it ok on your machines. One person has bought it and can't get it to play on several machines and even his PC. Looking for a solution here.

I purchased the Dutch Collection and can ONLY view it on my computer. My Samsung DVD player does not recognize the DVD at all. At this point I hesitate to buy the new Hollies "Live" DVD. I need lots of help on this one...Thanks!
PostPosted:Wed Apr 18, 2007 0:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Rob,

I received the live DVD yesterday and it plays just fine (good performances too, btw!).

I would recommend a very basic Phillips player, model DVP3040. It can be purchased for less than $50; I got mine at Best Buy. It is the player I purchased when I got the He Ain't Heavy DVD, after I found it wouldn't play in my previous player (just because a DVD is called "all regions" doesn't guarantee every player can read it). While this Phillips DVD player is also labeled Region 1, a knowledgeable salesman said he knew from experience it would work for me, and it certainly has for the two Hollies DVDs.

PostPosted:Thu Apr 19, 2007 13:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Like I previously suggested, most of those big appliance stores have working models of most of their DVD players out, so you see the remote control setup and actually watch it playing a DVD.

Just take your Hollies disc with you into the store, and only consider buying a player that works with it.

As an aside, if you're not getting one of those expensive "near HD upgrade" players, you certainly do want higher definition outputs, such as component video ouputs (LOL, assuming you have a television with component video inputs!).

Anyway, my disc has worked just fine on two different players in my house, and I have yet to try it in the others - yeah, we've gone overboard on DVD players. So, the odds favor that when you try the disc at your appliance store, it'll work just fine.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 19, 2007 13:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks for the tips Brandy and Sparty! Guess I'll have to take drive over to my local
Circuit City or Best Buy and put the Dutch Collection to the "test" on one of their floor models.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 19, 2007 14:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Yabbage Post subject:

I received my copy of The Hollies Special Live Edition DVD.
Thanks to Rob for the promptness in sending it. Only took a week to arrive to New Zealand.

Unlike most other Forum Members, I was disappointed in the DVD.

First up, I thought the disc would have had a 5.1 soundtrack if not DTS. Instead the DVD only has 2 channel.

Interesting that the concert that was chosen to release on DVD was only 7 songs long. I believe the Royal Albert Hall concert would have been a much better option as it is a great concert hall and would have given us an opportunity to see a full concert.

The second part of the DVD switches back to the song menu after each song which is frustrating. Would have been good to have a "Play All" option, the same as for the concert section of the disc.

Overall, not a great offering from such a good band, and probably why this DVD is only available by post or at concerts as it really is thin both in quality and in quantity.

Can only hope that a full concert DVD from the Hollies with a superior sound track will soon be available.

Also must say that it is the first time I have seen Peter Howarth with the band and he seems to have fitted in well and sounds closer to Allan Clarke than Carl Wayne did.

Here's hoping that sometime soon the Hollies will tour this part of the world again as they are very popular here and are well supported.

Geoff Sears
Christchurch
NEW ZEALAND
PostPosted:Tue May 08, 2007 4:34 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Good quality and I love that intro, so catchy.

PostPosted:Fri May 11, 2007 17:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

paulgillingham wrote:
Great to see there is at last a L ive DVD available . I will be at Littlecote House and Cliffs Pavilion will it still be on sale at either of these venues?
Also received The Dutch Collection last week and it was great to see the performances of so many Holles classics from the time they were released. A nostalgic must for all fans of the greatest ever group these shores have ever produced and long may they continue.

Regards from Paul
Where did you get the Dutch collection from?.I can only see the cd part of it available on Amazon and I'm desperate to attain it.

PostPosted:Sun Sep 30, 2007 20:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Re Rob's point over him selling just 60 copies of the DVD - which is a pity.....however before we just assume it's not worth EMI's time.....lets remember that in truth it all boils down to "Promotion of the product" (and SOME "Promotion" might help !) ....
PostPosted:Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:28 am

Last edited by Gee on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic