graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » "I Can't Tell The Bottom..." 1970 video MIA
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: "I Can't Tell The Bottom..." 1970 video MIA
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Has anyone seen or heard about any video of the band doing "I Can't Tell the bottom from the top" from the time it was released, 1970? It is Missing In Action.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 12, 2007 16:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You can see it on You tube, from the German TV show 1975. But do we miss a promo clip? I would have to check my video tape collection.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 12, 2007 19:26 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Knut wrote:
You can see it on You tube, from the German TV show 1975. But do we miss a promo clip? I would have to check my video tape collection.

Please do. I am more interested in seeing a clip from the time it was released, Spring 1970.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 12, 2007 21:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think I remember seeing that it was wiped from the BBC archives when the band had appeared on Top Of The Pops. Rolling Eyes Great track, one of their finest singles IMHO.

PostPosted:Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:01 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: I Can't Tell.....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I am not sure if this is the correct clip....but I recall seeing The band do "I Can't Tell..." on a BBC show circa 1970, they wore white jackets with black trousers,
This may be the circa 1970 TOTP show appearance to which we know BBC later "wiped".
PostPosted:Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:44 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Knut,
I wish they had that German Special on DVD it's brilliant, sadly I have a very very poor quality copy of that show, picture and sound shocking.
I always thought that "I Can't Tell the bottom from the top" was recorded around 74, not 70. Shows what I know. Funny when I first heard it I didn't like it, now I think it's great.
Maybe they can find a clip for the Dutch Collection Volume 2, well that's my request.

PostPosted:Tue Mar 13, 2007 13:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Just checked all my TV clips, and it seems I can't tell the bottom really must have been wiped so early that later broadcasts have been prohibited. However, it would be very unlikely that no other TV companies have a copy lying around somewhere. Or is this just hoping?

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 13, 2007 20:30 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, it's just hoping. The BBC were notorious for destroying TV which they viewed as having become uncomercial. Occasionally material does turn up but most usually for things that people are really dedicated about looking for.

Some '70s Top of The Pops clips seem to turn up on home video, but I don't think people in the UK had VHS machines as early as 1970.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 13, 2007 20:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: BBC "wiping"....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The BBC "Wiped" alot of Black & White Television as with the event of colour TV in the UK in 1970 it was assumed that no one would ever want to watch old monochrome TV ever again...(for example ALL the episodes if "Dr.Who" were still held in 1972...but by then the purging of monochrome had started....)
PostPosted:Tue Mar 13, 2007 22:38 pm

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Was there not some kind of cameraman strike in about '73 when the BBC reverted back to monochrome cameras or something similar? There's that oft-shown clip of Thin Lizzy doing Whisky In The Jar from that era... Question

It's a shame that more historic recordings can't be shown, although with the BBC teaming up with YouTube, maybe it will eventually happen...

PostPosted:Tue Mar 13, 2007 22:55 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: colour.....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes you are quite right, ITV Technicians went on strike just after colour TV started....then BBC cameramen too ! , thus some "colour" TV shows on both channels were still in B&W around that time....while earlier 1969 TV was sometimes made in colour...but only transmitted in B & W.(that 1969 Hollies concert WAS filmed in colour...yet, say, "Dr.Who" and "Dad's Army" etc, only went into colour from 1970 onwards....).
PostPosted:Tue Mar 13, 2007 23:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1