graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Down River - Spooky Tooth version
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Down River - Spooky Tooth version
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

We're all familiar with the version on Romany, but recently I've been getting into Spooky Tooth, and a version of the song is on their 'The Last Puff' album. Not as polished as the Hollies version, but still full of emotion and with reason - apparently they were recording it when they heard their road manager was in a serious accident which ultimately led to his death.

Apparently there's a 2CD due at the end of May called 'The Complete Elecktra Recordings' - I've never heard any of his recordings but they are supposed to be excellent.

PostPosted:Sun Mar 04, 2007 16:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Down River - Spooky Tooth version
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
We're all familiar with the version on Romany, but recently I've been getting into Spooky Tooth, and a version of the song is on their 'The Last Puff' album. Not as polished as the Hollies version, but still full of emotion and with reason - apparently they were recording it when they heard their road manager was in a serious accident which ultimately led to his death.

Apparently there's a 2CD due at the end of May called 'The Complete Elecktra Recordings' - I've never heard any of his recordings but they are supposed to be excellent.

When did Spooky Tooth record it? Was Luther Grosvenor (aka Ariel Bender, when he was in Mott the Hoople) in the band at the time?

You're referring to David Ackles, the writer of "Down River"? I heard one of his albums. I didn't care for his singing.
PostPosted:Sun Mar 04, 2007 18:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Down River - Spooky Tooth version
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The album was recorded in 1970 and Grosvenor was still about and Henry McCulloch was also on guitar. The album also featured a cover of I Am The Walrus.

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:

When did Spooky Tooth record it? Was Luther Grosvenor (aka Ariel Bender, when he was in Mott the Hoople) in the band at the time?

You're referring to David Ackles, the writer of "Down River"? I heard one of his albums. I didn't care for his singing.

PostPosted:Sun Mar 04, 2007 18:23 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Down River - Spooky Tooth version
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
The album was recorded in 1970 and Grosvenor was still about and Henry McCulloch was also on guitar. The album also featured a cover of I Am The Walrus.

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:

I think David Crosby should do a cover of "I Am The Walrus". Laughing
PostPosted:Wed Mar 07, 2007 23:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Down River - Spooky Tooth version
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:

I think David Crosby should do a cover of "I Am The Walrus". Laughing

LOL

Laughing

PostPosted:Thu Mar 08, 2007 17:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1