graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Tony Hicks and Graham Nash on the Stones' "Not Fade Awa
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: Tony Hicks and Graham Nash on the Stones' "Not Fade Awa
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I just listened to the "Singles Collection" of the Rolling Stones and under each song title there is some information about the recording. The one under "Not fade Away" says: [...] Legendary producer Phil Spector played maracas and Gene Pitney, Graham Nash and Tony Hicks of the Hollies aided and attended.
Does anybody know if they actually played anything on the record?
PostPosted:Sun Jul 17, 2005 16:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Beebs Post subject:

According to Bill Wyman, the Stones and the Hollies used to hang together, so it could be true...I always found it interesting that, although more comparisons were made between the Beatles and the Hollies, our boys and the Stones had more songs in common in their repetoire...Poison Ivy, You Better Move On and Fortune Teller are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head...

I couldn't find a thing connecting Hicks and Not Fade Away, but this is what I did discover:

From The Complete Works Website: the Rolling Stones Database:
http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/1964.htm

From the 1964 recording sessions:
640204A 4th February: Regent Sound Studios, London. Producer: Andrew Oldham.
Sound Engineer: Bill Farley.
- Spector And Pitney Came Too (Nanker Phelge/Phil Spector) -Gene Pitney and STU on piano, Phil Spector on maracas
- Andrew's Blues (Nanker Phelge/Phil Spector) -Gene Pitney and STU on piano, Phil Spector on maracas and vocals, Graham Nash and Allan Clark on backing vocals (another website debates whether it was Clarkey or Tony)

I thought I read on another website that that particular session was a classic piece of rock history and jamming/bonding with Pitney, Spector, Jagger, Richard, Clarke, Nash and a huge bottle of cognac...Can't seem to find it now...

And from Andrew Oldman's sleeve notes of the Stones' Metamorphorsis album:
"songs and stars to take you back/Some old some new, some gone, some due..." and offering thanks to "Jimmy Page, John McLaughlin, Phil Spector, Jack Nitzsche, Gene Pitney, John Paul Jones, Joe Morrett, Art Greenslade, Messrs Leander and Whittaker, Tony Hicks, Graham Nash, Dave Hassinger, Glyn Johns, Jimmy Miller, and all those we remember had it on the rocks, but forgot the rock they got off on."

Although other websites list Nash and Hicks' contribution to the Stones recording canon as, literally, one big question mark, my partner-in-crime, Ruud, is positive that it's a Tony Hick's solo on the Metamorphosis version of Heart of Stone, just because he recognizes his style...he says you can also hear Nash harmonizing in the background (which is hard to mistake!)...I'll defer to the 40-year Hollie fan and his impeccable ears in the absence of any definitive information...

PostPosted:Sun Jul 17, 2005 19:54 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the information.

I have to listen to "Andrew's Blues" and hear if I can recognize them.

Since I don't own "Metamorphosis" I can't listen to "Heart Of Stone" but I'm also pretty sure that you can tell if it's Tony Hicks, Brian Jones or Keith Richards who plays the solo!
PostPosted:Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Very interesting! Apparantly the Stones' demo version of 'Heart Of Stone' (released on 'Metamorphosis') was just Mick Jagger & session musicians. I assumed that it might've been Jimmy Page playing the solo, but I'd love to think it was Tony Hicks instead! Whoever it is, this is a superior version to the Stones originally released take.

Peter

Beebs wrote:
According to Bill Wyman, the Stones and the Hollies used to hang together, so it could be true...I always found it interesting that, although more comparisons were made between the Beatles and the Hollies, our boys and the Stones had more songs in common in their repetoire...Poison Ivy, You Better Move On and Fortune Teller are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head...

I couldn't find a thing connecting Hicks and Not Fade Away, but this is what I did discover:

From The Complete Works Website: the Rolling Stones Database:
http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/1964.htm

From the 1964 recording sessions:
640204A 4th February: Regent Sound Studios, London. Producer: Andrew Oldham.
Sound Engineer: Bill Farley.
- Spector And Pitney Came Too (Nanker Phelge/Phil Spector) -Gene Pitney and STU on piano, Phil Spector on maracas
- Andrew's Blues (Nanker Phelge/Phil Spector) -Gene Pitney and STU on piano, Phil Spector on maracas and vocals, Graham Nash and Allan Clark on backing vocals (another website debates whether it was Clarkey or Tony)

I thought I read on another website that that particular session was a classic piece of rock history and jamming/bonding with Pitney, Spector, Jagger, Richard, Clarke, Nash and a huge bottle of cognac...Can't seem to find it now...

And from Andrew Oldman's sleeve notes of the Stones' Metamorphorsis album:
"songs and stars to take you back/Some old some new, some gone, some due..." and offering thanks to "Jimmy Page, John McLaughlin, Phil Spector, Jack Nitzsche, Gene Pitney, John Paul Jones, Joe Morrett, Art Greenslade, Messrs Leander and Whittaker, Tony Hicks, Graham Nash, Dave Hassinger, Glyn Johns, Jimmy Miller, and all those we remember had it on the rocks, but forgot the rock they got off on."

Although other websites list Nash and Hicks' contribution to the Stones recording canon as, literally, one big question mark, my partner-in-crime, Ruud, is positive that it's a Tony Hick's solo on the Metamorphosis version of Heart of Stone, just because he recognizes his style...he says you can also hear Nash harmonizing in the background (which is hard to mistake!)...I'll defer to the 40-year Hollie fan and his impeccable ears in the absence of any definitive information...
PostPosted:Tue Nov 22, 2005 15:42 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Perhaps someone here who actually knows Hicks can pose the question to him.
PostPosted:Sun Nov 27, 2005 14:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

In Bill Wyman's book 'Rolling With The Stones' he does mention that Tony and Graham took part in a Stones recording. They are both listed in the credits on the 'Metamorphasis' album. Graham was always grateful to the Stones as they gave The Hollies a lot of Business advise.

PostPosted:Thu Dec 01, 2005 14:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hope2005 wrote:
In Bill Wyman's book 'Rolling With The Stones' he does mention that Tony and Graham took part in a Stones recording. They are both listed in the credits on the 'Metamorphasis' album. Graham was always grateful to the Stones as they gave The Hollies a lot of Business advise.

I know that they took part. But I was unaware that Tony (possibly) plays the guitar solo on 'Heart Of Stone'.

Peter

PostPosted:Thu Dec 01, 2005 15:05 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject: Tony Hicks and Sweet FA
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Talking about Tony Hicks, I´m totally confused ´bout a record from 1980. It ´s with a group called Sweet F.A. and the members listed are Tony Hicks, Peter Kirtley, Carol Grimes, Gary Twigg and Ollie Marland. The songs are Think about you all the time, Too much meat.

The sleevenotes says that Tony Hicks plays..... drums!

Can somebody help me with an explanation?
PostPosted:Thu Dec 01, 2005 19:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

It's probably the same Tony Hicks drumming that was in a band called Back Door. As this link shows http://www.alexgitlin.com/npp/backdoor.htm, a completely different person...

PostPosted:Mon Dec 05, 2005 15:56 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Many thanks, Brandy! I did not know that there was another Tony Hicks, playing drums.

You´ve solved my problem.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Perhaps someone here who actually knows Hicks can pose the question to him.

Great idea SpartyScott! As a matter of fact, many months ago I suggested that website members be afforded an opportunity to direct their questions to former and current members of the Hollies. Perhaps Rob(or someone else close to the band) could come up with the answers by approaching the various members and have their responses posted on the website. I mean, after all WE are the fans!
PostPosted:Tue Mar 06, 2007 13:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1