The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Romany
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Re: Romany
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Johngill wrote:
A surprising post really - I think regular posters here recognise Michael as a long term and knowledgable fan of the Hollies and I always welcome his comments, whether I agree with them or not.

Well said John. It seems we must learn to AGREE to DISAGREE. Like Dave Mason said "it's only you and me and we just disagree"...I think that's the lyric... Very Happy.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Romany
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Johngill wrote:
[quote="Dennis
No, buddy, your REVIEW is tired. "ROMANY" (US version, with superior mix and better playing order, opening with "Magic Woman Touch") IS BRILLIANT. IT IS THE BEST ALBUM EVER RELEASED BY THE HOLLIES.

A surprising post really - I think regular posters here recognise Michael as a long term and knowledgable fan of the Hollies and I always welcome his comments, whether I agree with them or not.[/quote]

I have little patience for anyone making what are clearly idiotic comments, such as some of those made in his review.
PostPosted:Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well, folks, let's get back to "Romany" which is the topic, I think.

Just like "Out On The Road" "Romany" is a great album. It's one of my all-time favourites. I just come back to it because noone has mentioned "Jesus Was A Crossmaker" with a beautiful chorus and harmony singing. It's great to see how professional The Hollies are. There is a new singer and the harmony singing sounds different but still great.
The other great song is "Blue In The Morning". A song that makes you want to dance. Great harmony singing and a great guitar solo by Tony.

All the other songs are great, as well, but I won't mention them because there has been written about the other songs before.

All in all can be said that I am thankful for Mikael's two album contributions to The Hollies catalogue. Though I'm a big Allan Clarke fan Mikael Rickfors made The Hollies sound different and fresh, even though Bobby likes to forget about the Rickfors period. Whether they had a great hit or not, I don't care. Great albums with great songs and perfect musical quality
PostPosted:Sun Feb 25, 2007 16:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
Well, folks, let's get back to "Romany" which is the topic, I think.

Just like "Out On The Road" "Romany" is a great album. It's one of my all-time favourites. I just come back to it because noone has mentioned "Jesus Was A Crossmaker" with a beautiful chorus and harmony singing. It's great to see how professional The Hollies are. There is a new singer and the harmony singing sounds different but still great.
The other great song is "Blue In The Morning". A song that makes you want to dance. Great harmony singing and a great guitar solo by Tony.

All the other songs are great, as well, but I won't mention them because there has been written about the other songs before.

All in all can be said that I am thankful for Mikael's two album contributions to The Hollies catalogue. Though I'm a big Allan Clarke fan Mikael Rickfors made The Hollies sound different and fresh, even though Bobby likes to forget about the Rickfors period. Whether they had a great hit or not, I don't care. Great albums with great songs and perfect musical quality

Well said. "The Baby" and "Magic Woman Touch" were hits in different countries, but hits nevertheless.
PostPosted:Sun Feb 25, 2007 17:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Romany....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The set was recorded initially as a more "Acoustic folk" flavoured album...with the Electric Rockers "Couarge..." (between 24-28 July 1972), "Slow Down" and "Won't We Feel Good..." (26 - 30 August 1972), being the last tracks recorded as if they decided a few more powering Rock tracks were needed (possibly taking note of both America and Marvin,Welch & Farrar albums around that time...and of course CSNY did "acoustic / Electric" sets in concert....).
PostPosted:Sun Feb 25, 2007 19:01 pm

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Geoff, I do enjoy reading your reflections about The Hollies, but wonder, how do you know so much about them
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:51 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Hollies....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It is no big thing....I have followed them since the start and it just grew from there...likewise with Beatles, Shadows, Moodies, Beach Boys, Byrds, Badfinger, Fortunes, Ventures, Spotnicks, Tremeloes, Stones,Bee Gees, America, Four Seasons, CSNY,Lindisfarne, Chicago, BS &T,....and many other top groups etc.
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:04 pm

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Postscript....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

P.S. I should add Snowflake, Chirpy,, ....and my "Carousel" colleague Tony Marsden (Especially ! ) to the above list re "Hollies people" with new information too....!
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:12 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, Geoff, there is a relation. It's my favourite Chuck Berry song. So, I thought it would be a nice forum name in connection with my real name Benjamin.
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 17:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Romany guest.....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

One further point re "Romany", The guest Keyboardist on both "Won't We Feel Good That Morning" and "Slow Down" recorded over 26-30 August 1972 was Peter Robinson....who was keyboardist for the prog rock band "Quatermass" (whose first album on EMI's progressive Harvest label is now quite collectable) and later Peter was in the groups; Suntreater and Brand X .
PostPosted:Thu Mar 01, 2007 16:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Not their greatest album but still a good one. When this came out I was living in New Zealand. There was a video clip of Magic Woman Touch. This was before dedicated programmes for such things and it got some airplay several times, usually between 6-7pm if I remember rightly, before the news at 7pm. It featured heavily on the local radio station. The song shot to number 1 on the NZ charts. (At the same time Allan Clarke's song Sideshow also got some video airplay. It bombed).

The album has some good songs with standouts for me being Magic Woman Touch and Jesus Was A Crossmaker. The album could have been a lot stronger without Lizze & Delaware Taggart. Pity there were not more self penned tunes.

A big departure from the sound they had with Clarke on lead vocals but worth listening to.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:55 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

speedwaybloke wrote:
Not their greatest album but still a good one. When this came out I was living in New Zealand. There was a video clip of Magic Woman Touch. This was before dedicated programmes for such things and it got some airplay several times, usually between 6-7pm if I remember rightly, before the news at 7pm. It featured heavily on the local radio station. The song shot to number 1 on the NZ charts. (At the same time Allan Clarke's song Sideshow also got some video airplay. It bombed).

The album has some good songs with standouts for me being Magic Woman Touch and Jesus Was A Crossmaker. The album could have been a lot stronger without Lizze & Delaware Taggart. Pity there were not more self penned tunes.

A big departure from the sound they had with Clarke on lead vocals but worth listening to.

"Romany" is The Hollies' greatest album to me. It shows a depth and a range in terms of material, production, and performance that is undeniable. Without Ron Richards' involvement, the album was "produced by The Hollies". They did a splendid job of it "Delaware Taggett.." is a superb track. "Lizzie.." is fine, too.

Thanks for the info about "Magic Woman Touch".
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 20:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

speedwaybloke wrote:

Hi speedwaybloke
Thanks for that info about "Magic Woman Touch" I always though it had been a big hit here in New Zealand. Just a question for you, if you know the answer that is. As a result of "Magic Woman Touch" being a Number 1 hit in NZ, how did the album "Romany" do here in NZ? do you remember if it charted or how well it might have sold? Just curious. I still live in NZ but i was too young at the time and had not really discovered music as a passion yet.
Cheers Ray
PostPosted:Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:08 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

"Magic Woman Touch", a No. 1 record. Smile
PostPosted:Tue Mar 06, 2007 17:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Ray,
I don't know how the album did. I was about 16 or 17 at the time and album charts were not something I took any notice of. I was buying singles rather than albums. I did not get Romany until about 1986 when I came across a copy in a second hand shop. The only reason I bought it was to get Magic Woman Touch which is my second favourite Hollies tune after Too Young To Be Married.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:29 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next