graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages » New Musical Express, July 16, 1965
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

This is a very interesting discussion -- I hope no one minds if I ask about Bernie, even though his tenure with the band didn't start until after this article was written. From what I know, Bernie was married twice. His second wife's name is Jill and I knew they had at least one son. Can anyone confirm/deny/add to this?

PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 20:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks, Susan. That's okay about asking about Bernie. He's just as important to the Hollies as the founding members. I don't know much about him, but I did find an interesting interview where he talked about how he joined the Hollies. When I find it, I'll post it here. Maybe someone else knows about his marriages and children, or maybe I can find out! Very Happy
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 22:59 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Fri Aug 03, 2007 22:42 pm; edited 4 times in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Bernie "Bamf" Calvert..
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Despite some unkind "fans"....and a remark attributed to Producer Ron Richards about Bernie not being a good bassist and "burying his bass in the mix"...which is total nonsense, try listening to say; "Bus Stop","Stop Stop Stop","All the World is Love", "Dear Eloise","Step Inside", "Open up your Eyes","Signs that will never Change","King Midas in Reverse","Everything is Sunshine","Wings","Man with no Expression","Sorry Suzanne", "I Shall be Released","Quit your low Down Ways","My life is Over With You","Louisianna Man","Too Young To Be Married"...well the list is endless....then add in Bernie's keyboard skills from "Pay you back with Interest" to "Sunshine","Toffee Shoppe"....etc...and you could not have got a better servant for the band....at a time when a keyboard player was so essential as their work suddenly progressed far beyond just a "beat group" into a much more "surreal" era....

A fine musician...and a credit to his profession...and The Hollies.
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 23:41 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Thanks so much, Geoff. You’re right; Bernie’s performances in every one of those songs you listed, and countless others, could not be better. The band definitely moved into a more experimental phase of music after Bernie joined, and he rose to the challenge. I remember hearing about those disparaging comments you mentioned that were made about Bernie, and I thought it was very unfair to say about a man who had devoted 15 years of his life to one of the best rock bands ever.

It’s great to know that Bernie is still in touch with Terry and Mikael. I had read on Terry’s website that he visited Bernie on a recent trip to the UK. I hope Bernie knows that there are loyal Hollies fans who still remember and appreciate his contribution to the band and wish him and his family all the best!

PostPosted:Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, thanks, Geoff. I hope Bernie continues to get the credit he's due. Snowflake, I found that interview and posted it on a new thread called "Bernie Calvert Interview." Smile
PostPosted:Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:33 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Years ago at work a lady told me she and her husband were in a country pub (I can't remember where she said it was tho' ! )......it was a lovely sunny day so they went out into the pub's garden....and there was a chap having a quiet drink...he had two dogs with him (and his arm was in a sling ! )...
she said to her husband "That man looks just like Allan Clarke of The Hollies !",
the guy looked up at her and smiled, then carried on reading his newspaper...

Geoff,

When I read Agneta's article, I thought of this. I think that man was Allan!
PostPosted:Tue Mar 20, 2007 22:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

This reminded me of something else: I saw a magazine advertised on eBay called Top Boys. It was another pop music publication like Fabulous - tabloid-sized with huge photos. This issue was dated March 28, 1964 and had an article in it about Allan and his upcoming marriage. I bid on it, but was outbid and the final price went as high as $56.00. I'm still on the lookout for that issue if it should come up on the auction block again.
PostPosted:Fri Aug 03, 2007 22:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I showed this article to a friend of mine, and she had a question to which I didn't know the answer, so I'll throw it out here to all of you. She wanted to know if Jenny had ever been a model. I though that was uncanny, since Geoff mentioned in an earlier post here that he was under the impression that she was a model, and she looked like she might have been. My friend isn't too sure, but she could have sworn reading that in an old sixties gossip magazine, and even said there were a few pictures of her in it.
PostPosted:Tue Aug 21, 2007 19:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2