graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Mikael Rickfors website coming
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject: Mikael Rickfors website coming
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Not sure if this website has already been mentioned on the boards, but I just got a reply from "info@mikaelrickfors.com" in response to an email stating that I was looking forward to Mikael's website:

"Thank you -- we are working hard to get all the pieces into place.
Shouldn't be long now."

It should be interesting.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 16:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Excellent, I hadn't heard anything about this before. Thanks for the info, snowflake Cool

PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 16:49 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Mike Rickfors...
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Great news indeed...!
PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 17:27 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I just found a site called TuneTribe.com which has three of Mikael's CDs listed, all released on May 1, 2006:

Vingar (song titles are in Swedish, so I assume they are sung in Swedish)
Mikael Rickfors (self titled album; song titles in English)
Hearthunters (song titles in English)

The self-titled album has both "When a Man Loves a Woman" (the Percey Sledge hit) and "Boom Boom" -- have you seen the YouTube video of this? Mikael does a rockin' version on it but the setting is very distracting -- people milling about, etc. It seems a shame; he deserves so much better.

I haven't heard if Mikael is still unwell, but hopefully with the new website coming online we'll find out. I absolutely agree that he is a superb singer, songwriter and musician whose contribution to the Hollies musical catalog is excellent.

PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 18:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have the following Rickfors CD's:

Tender Turns Tuff (1981)
Blue Fun (1983)
Judas River (1991)
Happy Man [sic] Don't Kill (1997)
Rickfors Greatest Hits (1997?)
Lush Life (2004)

They are all very good, in particular Judas River which features Rickfors' tribute to the Hollies 'Sailors Of The Heart'. Apart from a few Swedish numbers on Greatest Hits, this (and a few albums I don't have) are wholly sung in English.

Lush Life is very jazz-sounding, and exceptionally well recorded. His voice sounds rather Bryan Adams-esque to my ears, probably too many oily rags.

PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 18:38 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Thanks for the info, James. I'm just getting in to collecting Mikael's solo work. So, judging by the amount of English material on his albums, surely he is very fluent in English? I had heard that when he was with the Hollies, he had to learn the lyrics phonetically and didn't really speak it much. This is supposedly why he wasn't really "the front man" on stage as well. Just another rumor, I guess? At any rate, he was a talented force in the band!

I can hear what you mean about Mikael's voice having a Bryan Adams quality to it, but much deeper and richer, in my opinion. Thanks again for the info; it is much appreciated!

PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 19:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You're welcome, Snowflake. Check out his solo stuff, I'm sure you'll be impressed. I guess that his fluency in English will have improved with age, after all he was only about 24 when he joined the Hollies. Certainly, his accent does come through on a fair few tracks, Delaware Taggett being a notable example. Still, he was bloody good!

PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 19:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

James, I'm just curious; do you know if these English albums were mainly released in Sweden or elsewhere?

Good point about how his fluency in English probably improved after his stint with the band -- it's been 35 or so years since he was a Hollie, after all! Funny how great music transcends the passage of time!

PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 21:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

snowflake wrote:
James, I'm just curious; do you know if these English albums were mainly released in Sweden or elsewhere?

I'm not sure Question I did order a few via a German website, and a few are on the Sonet label. To be honest, I think they probably did get a European release, but he's pretty obscure outside of Scandinavia from what I can tell. Lush Life was ordered from Play.com when it was a relatively fresh release.

Judas River is available on eBay.co.uk (guy will post abroad), item 320084816972

There's also loads available on gemm.com - I'll guess you wont be rushing on to buy Tender Turns Tuff @ $116 Shocked but they do have some more sensibly-priced items. Good luck!

PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 22:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: "Accent" on Quality...!
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yeah you could detect Mike's accent here & there...but so what ? I thought it actually added to his very distinctive vocal "style"...like say Sean Connery's Scottish accent or George Lazenby's Aussie accent slipped thru in those Bond films ....and so too Michael Caine's cockney tones !.....yet all so very memorable......
PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 22:32 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have part of a Rickfors solo on DVD, I think it's called Ghost in the House, he sings in English, great number. If they have a website hope it's in English.

PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:57 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Ghost in the House

I think this one is from 1991's 'Judas River' CD. Yep, a great track.

PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:37 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Geoff, I totally agree about Mikael's distinctive style -- part of what gave "Romany" and "Out on the Road" that "Magic Rickfors Touch", so to speak Smile

Anthony, the person who answered my inquiry from the website wrote in English, so hopefully it will be at least partially in English.

James, great, thanks! I'll try looking on those websites you suggested. I haven't had a whole lot of luck with my usual vendors.

PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 14:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

There seems to be a new Rickfors album coming soon. Look here, folks:

http://www.pushrec.se/artists.html

In addition to his work solo, there are a couple of Grymlings albums that are very good (although in Swedish - a language very similar to Norwegian - so no problem for me), and also mind his cooperation with Carla Olsson (I have aTV video clip).

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:57 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Knut, thanks for that link about the new album. I knew that Mikael had collaborated with Carla on some songs, but wasn't aware of a TV appearance. What country is your clip from? I've seen the Grymlings clips on YouTube and they sound really good.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2007 14:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1