graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages » New Musical Express, July 16, 1965
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: New Musical Express, July 16, 1965
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

This is an issue of the British Music magazine New Musical Express from Friday, July 16, 1965, featuring an article on the Hollies at home. It's called "The Hollies at Home." The photos were taken by Napier Russell. If the print is hard to see, let me know and I'll type everything out.

Vrinda Smile

PAGE 1 :

PAGE 2 :

P.S. Thanks for setting this up, Rob!
PostPosted:Tue Feb 20, 2007 0:03 am

Last edited by Vrinda on Wed Jul 25, 2007 23:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Vrinda, thanks for this priceless clipping! Silly sausage, eh? I think I remember reading somewhere that a few years later, Allan and Jenny lived in an actual castle for awhile, but that didn't last too long because although it was a romantic notion, the reality was quite uncomfortable.

PostPosted:Tue Feb 20, 2007 14:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You're welcome, Snowflake! I can only imagine the headaches with living in a real castle - the cleaning, the upkeep. Did Jenny do all that herself? I doubt it. It would be too much for one person to do, and by then, Allan could have probably afforded hired help. This does bring another question to mind, one which I'm sure no one here might know the answer to, but I'll throw it out anyway: Did Jenny work when she and Allan first got married? She strikes me as a schoolteacher type. Don't ask me why, it's just some inclination I get when I see a person.

Yes, that nickname of Allan's ... where did she think it up?!
PostPosted:Tue Feb 20, 2007 18:55 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Sun Apr 08, 2007 22:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

snowflake wrote:
Vrinda, thanks for this priceless clipping! Silly sausage, eh? I think I remember reading somewhere that a few years later, Allan and Jenny lived in an actual castle for awhile, but that didn't last too long because although it was a romantic notion, the reality was quite uncomfortable.

"Jennifer's Castle, oh what a hassle", so to speak. Smile

PostPosted:Tue Feb 20, 2007 19:24 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I guess they substituted Eleanor for Jennifer so no one would see the real inspiration! Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Feb 20, 2007 20:35 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Wow, Eric's wife was a cutie!

And just to confirm this, all those locations listed above were still in the Manchester area, correct? None of the Hollies had relocated their permanent homes to the London area for ease of recording at the studios, correct?

Help me out, please - back then, how long would it have taken to drive an automobile from Manchester to the Abbey Road studios? And how many miles (please, no metric system measuremetns for this dumb American) would that be, anyway?
PostPosted:Tue Feb 20, 2007 21:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Vrinda,
These are great, poor old Bobby, do you think he's still washing the dishes?
Allan, Graham and Eric were all married young, Eric's wife is sure a good looker.
Thanks again.
Anthony

PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 20:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks, Anthony, and you're welcome. Yes, Allan, Graham, and Eric all married young, probably around 21-22. I couldn't imagine getting married at that age. In today's world, it does seem very young. I wonder if Bobby is still doing the dishes, too. If they're still coming to his house to take pictures, there's a good chance he's still scrubbing, washing, and drying! Very Happy

Pam Haydock was very pretty. I wonder if she and Eric are still married. (Sad that in today's world, we wonder about that when we talk about a married couple. Sad )
PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 20:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi SpartyScott,

Stockport is 10 miles southest of Manchester, and about 150 miles northwest of London, so it suffices to say that Allan, Graham, Eric, Tony, and Bobby did not make the commute every single day to London. Styal, Nelson, and Heaton Moor don't show up on my map of Great Britain, so maybe they're in Manchester itself. Maybe someone here knows and can shed light on this. Smile
PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2007 0:08 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Nelson is north of Manchester, so the trip to London is about 190 miles. I am not sure about the motorways (Freeways) we had in those days: The M1 - London to Leeds - was oponed in 1959 but not sure if it went all the way to the north, and the M6 - which went from Manchester down to the M1 didn't open until the late 60's - I think
PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:06 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Isn't Bobby married to Tony's sister? I've heard that more than once, but don't know for sure.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Find Me a Family..../Too young to be married ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes ,Tony and Bobby are brothers in law...and in Music too !

I understood that Eric & Pam Haydock were divorced quite a long time ago .....(Pam was indeed a lovely looking lady....so too Allan's wife Jeni, and Tony's wife Jane...who used to be models !),
whatever happened to Graham's first wife Rosemary (Nee Eccles !) ?
Rosemary used to run a "Hollies Newsletter" back in the sixties....

I have lost count of Terry's wives....!!! (was it two or three...?)
PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2007 19:24 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks, Geoff!

I know Jane was a model. She modeled for some calendar called the Pirelli Calendar for 1964, and she was an extra in some of the "Carry On" movies. (Oh, the laughs!)

Did you also mean that Jenny was a model, too? Was she a fashion model? Did she appear in any ads or commercials?

I don't know what happened to Rosemary Nash, but I think Graham left her around the time he decided to leave the Hollies.

P.S. Does anyone think Jenny is wearing a wig in those pictures? Somehow, her hair looks very stiff and unnatural to me in these.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2007 22:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Was it Allan Clarke....?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Years ago at work a lady told me she and her husband were in a country pub (I can't remember where she said it was tho' ! )......it was a lovely sunny day so they went out into the pub's garden....and there was a chap having a quiet drink...he had two dogs with him (and his arm was in a sling ! )...
she said to her husband "That man looks just like Allan Clarke of The Hollies !",
the guy looked up at her and smiled, then carried on reading his newspaper...

The lady told me they didn't like to say anything in case it was NOT Allan ( I never put too much creedence in her story which she related to me in 1983, when I came back to the office with my copy of "What Goes Around..." which I had just bought, she asked me what album I had...and on seeing it was The Hollies told me her tale......)

...Now I see, on reading the press cutting posted above it does say Allan DID indeed have two dogs...!
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:55 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

That's a cute story, Geoff!

I think women change their hairstyles so often to suit their current mood or personality, or to show their physical versatility. Maybe I thought Jenny's hair wasn't her own as it was a very bright blonde color, one I usually see on wigs or women who dye their hair.

When exactly did your co-worker see Allan - in the sixties, or seventies? Did she say what type of dogs they were? If they were dachsunds, and if Allan ever broke his arm at any time then, then either we have quite a coincidence here, or that man she saw really was Allan!

Jenny looks like she might have been a model. She had some of the features that were popular in the modeling world at that time. There is so little information out there on the Hollies' wives, unlike the Beatles' or Rolling Stones' wives and girlfriends, that you have to search high and low to find out these things.

I thought Allan and Jenny were old schoolmates, or at least knew each other as children. That was something that came to mind when I read that article and saw those pictures.
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 15:37 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:46 am; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2