graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: The Dog?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

carol7cat wrote:
If it gets a laugh, who cares!!!
It is nice to see the guys having fun as well as producing good quality live music!
However I did wonder if any one could tell me about the black and white cuddly dog that sits on stage every night!! Is he a new band member?

I agree Carol.

I was wondering about that dog as well, what's it doing there, anyone know?
PostPosted:Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:55 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Show Banter
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
I think that the between-song banter is all rehearsed. There's not much ad-libbing from the lads.

I say that because when I saw the Hollies twice on the 1983 tour (including being in attendence at the Kings Island show that we've all heard), the patter and banter was almost word-for-word the same.

As for the between song banter being rehearsed, I'm sure it is the same with every group/singer.

At least with The Hollies, even though I may see them a few times within their tour, I don't notice that it is the same, maybe they change it slightly for each show depending on how they feel or how the show goes, but if you go to see Cliff Richard in concert, it is the same thing word for word, nothing changes at all, (and so far I shall be listening to it five times in November Confused ).
PostPosted:Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:14 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I'm guessing it's not "Shep"...if I remember corrrectly, that cuddly onstage canine actually belonged to Rob Sinclair, who worked as a technician for the band a few years back. Unless Rob, and therefore Shep, have returned?

On the other hand, while it's not exactly "pulling ducks out of the water, got the highest score", perhaps Peter and Steve, as the new boys, were dispatched to the nearest amusement park or county fair to try to win a new stuffed dog.

Maybe there should be a contest to name the new dog?

PostPosted:Tue Mar 28, 2006 17:34 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

brandy wrote:
I'm guessing it's not "Shep"...if I remember corrrectly, that cuddly onstage canine actually belonged to Rob Sinclair, who worked as a technician for the band a few years back. Unless Rob, and therefore Shep, have returned?

Why was the dog there then?
PostPosted:Tue Mar 28, 2006 17:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Never heard the reason Shep became the seventh onstage Hollie...some traditions just ARE. Very Happy

Maybe Rob knows the story.

PostPosted:Wed Mar 29, 2006 16:34 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'm rarely impressed with "banter" on stage. I'm usually thinking to myself, "Just shutup and sing". Laughing
PostPosted:Wed Mar 29, 2006 19:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

At the Hollies gigs I've been to, the banter is generally pretty good and creates a good atmosphere. Listen to some live recordings of other bands and bloody hell, they do go on a bit - take David Coverdale in Deep Purple.... Please, somebody, take him away... Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted:Wed Mar 29, 2006 20:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'm not having a go at Cliff, but he does tend to go on a bit, but a lot of it is just him talking, and then there's the fans who go to the stage to hand him things, which means at times the concerts can over run by 15 mins.

You don't get that kind of interruption at a Hollies gig, not that I have seen any way, though I'm sure there's a first time.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 29, 2006 20:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject: Hollies banter
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Anthony!

A bit late, but I've got some really old banter if you are interested.
In 1968 I saw the Hollies for the second time, in a Folk park near where I live in Sweden.
Graham announced that they were going to sing a song by Bert Albert.
Allan: Bert? It's Herb!
Graham: Oh, was it Herb, I thought it was Bert.
Allan: Bert? BERT?? and he went on for a while
Then Graham said: Anyway, the song is called The Waste of Money! No, A Taste of Honey.

Two years later, at the amusement park Liseberg in Gothenburg, Allan said something like this:
-Two guys came up to me yesterday, and when they heard we were going to do this tour, they asked us to play a song that they had written. I thought it was pretty good, so we decided to do it.
I can't remember their names, wait a minute, I've got it written down on this piece of paper. I've got the words here too, 'cause I haven't had time to learn it yet. They are called ....... Lennon and McCartney, and they're gonna be famous and make lots of money and give it all to us!
- There they are, on top of the wheel! Terry shouted, and they all pointed at the Ferris Wheel. Then they did Let it Be.

I've consulted my old diaries to be able to share this with you.
PostPosted:Mon Nov 06, 2006 18:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks Agneta,
Great story. The banter has always been a great part of the Hollies stage show.
best wishes,
Anthony

PostPosted:Sun Nov 12, 2006 13:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, thanks, Agneta. I especially like the old concert stories, because they took place when the band was still in its first decade of performing and they tell of what was going on when it all began. If the time machine gets invented someday, then we can all go back to Northern England in the early sixties to witness the Beat Boom starting. Then we can see Allan, Tony, Graham, Eric, and Bobby doing their first peformances in and around Manchester and pretend not to know how famous they will soon become! Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Feb 14, 2007 0:31 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Shelley,
I have been to many Cliff Richard concerts over the years and at times he can go on just a little. I have heard him say that he says the samething every show, at the start of the tour he sees what works and what doesn't he leaves out.
I have always enjoyed a bit of banter, Dennis at times it sets the mood I feel. The banter I'm not keen on is when the band says we have a new single and what do you think, then they play one of their hits.
I have been to a number of concerts when the singer says nothing, I find that a little boring.
Years ago I went to see Dire Straits, they played really well, but Mark Knopfler didn't say a world, in the end I didn't know anything about the band.
The other type of banter I'm not keen on is when the entertainer tries to push his views on the world. I remember seeing John Denver do that, sadly it put me off him.

PostPosted:Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Vrinda!

Thank you for commenting on my post. I enjoy reading your contributions.
A time machine would be great. To be able to follow them from the start, and knowing that the Hollies will still exist, and attract people of all ages with their music half a lifetime later.

Agneta

PostPosted:Sat Feb 17, 2007 21:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You're welcome, Agneta! It's always a pleasure to read your posts. I'm keeping my crossed about the time travel! Very Happy
PostPosted:Sun Feb 18, 2007 17:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2