graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Why Didn't You Believe? on BBC Radio 2
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Why Didn't You Believe? on BBC Radio 2
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

...this superb opener to Hollies Sing Hollies was the first of three choices by a listener who'd written in to the Sounds of the Sixties show hosted by Johnnie Walker yesterday morning. Great to hear it. The person who requested it was involved in a church group, hence the choice!

PostPosted:Sun Jan 28, 2007 19:10 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Why Didn't You Believe? on BBC Radio 2
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
...this superb opener to Hollies Sing Hollies was the first of three choices by a listener who'd written in to the Sounds of the Sixties show hosted by Johnnie Walker yesterday morning. Great to hear it. The person who requested it was involved in a church group, hence the choice!

"Why Didn't You Believe": one of the best examples of "white gospel" ever. Graham Nash was impressed when Clarke played it for him.
PostPosted:Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Why Didn't You Believe? on BBC Radio 2
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The 'w--h--y--?' sections of the choruses are positively hypnotic. Just listen to that bass as well. Superb track.

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:

"Why Didn't You Believe": one of the best examples of "white gospel" ever. Graham Nash was impressed when Clarke played it for him.

PostPosted:Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:32 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I love this Hollies number, the Hollies had a few religious type numbers, another favourite of mine is Very Last Day and Jesus was a Crossmaker.

PostPosted:Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:53 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Jesus was a crossmaker....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I agree "Very Last Day","Why didn't you Believe" and "Jesus was a Crossmaker." are all classic Hollies recordings.
PostPosted:Mon Jan 29, 2007 19:32 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Jesus was a crossmaker....
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
Graham Nash produced her original studio version,which is now available on "Abracadabra":The Asylum Years (Asylum/Rhino 8122 79534 2),it appears in that "Live" version on this too.

This is a superb set and highly recommended. There's also a 2CD/book called 'Dreams Come True' which is worth investigating.

The live version of 'Crossmaker' Geoff refers to was recorded when Judee was the opener for Crosby & Nash in concert. She was probably another one of Graham's conquests too Shocked Laughing

PostPosted:Mon Jan 29, 2007 20:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject: Jesus was a crossmaker
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Geoff!

I think it was interesting, what you wrote about "Jesus was a Crossmaker". I've been wondering about those lyrics, and I've never been able to understand what that song was really about. Now I understand a bit better. It should really be sung by a woman, shouldn't it?
And your right about those lines you quoted. They really could make you think of Saint Paul, when he was still Saul, on his way to Damascus.

PostPosted:Tue Jan 30, 2007 21:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Judee...and her crossmaker....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Agneta !
Yes it probably IS a woman's song strictly speaking....but The Hollies did a brilliant version with that wonderful dramatic piano and Terry's magnificent vocal.

Judee Sill was such a tragic figure...not unlike a biblical figure...allegedly a prostitute,armed robber...and self destructive drug addict !,she was destroyed by drugs dying alone on
23 November 1979...and seemingly "forgotten"
PostPosted:Tue Jan 30, 2007 23:37 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Judee...and her crossmaker....
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
Hi Agneta !
Yes it probably IS a woman's song strictly speaking....but The Hollies did a brilliant version with that wonderful dramatic piano and Terry's magnificent vocal.

Judee Sill was such a tragic figure...not unlike a biblical figure...allegedly a prostitute,armed robber...and self destructive drug addict !,she was destroyed by drugs dying alone on
23 November 1979...and seemingly "forgotten",only the long deleted two albums,and covers by Hollies and Turtles ("Lady O") stood as her testament for many years...then the odd compilation...now that 2CD set.
Judee managed to somehow "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory".....she had a tragic life,her Dad died...she probably was abused later,fell in with the "wrong" crowd in Oakland...became a drug addict, rumoured a prostitute,and armed robber...then after "reform" a budding singer/songwriter of great talent...yet her outspokenness was her undoing...her career folded and she sadly declined...

JUDEE and TONY :
Her "tale" has some very odd parallels with The Late Tony Jackson of The Searchers ! (Who sang lead vocal on "Sweets for my Sweet","Sugar & Spice",and "Love Potion No 9".... but then was "ousted" from the group...),
for they both were great bass guitarists...both fell away to drugs/boose Addiction respectively...both "did time" for gun crime...both "talked out of turn" (Judee on UK show "Old Grey Whistle Test",Tony earlier on "Ready Steady Go !" show...) and
both upset their respective Record Company bosses...thus both effectively "shot themselves in the foot" (not literally...!)

.....and both died too soon a "Shadow" of themselves....
Then...BOTH were honoured with CD "Anthologies",and duly remembered with affection in retrospect recently...Curious co-incidence eh ?

I always thought Tony Jackson was canned from The Searchers for being too good looking and getting all the girls, a parallel with Pete Best.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 31, 2007 0:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Tony Jackson...
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Er...no !! there was quite a bit MORE to it than "good looks and getting all the girls" ! they were in truth "non musical".
PostPosted:Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:01 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1