The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Hollies on Australian 70's charts
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject: Hollies on Australian 70's charts
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

G'day Everyone Exclamation

I accidently stumbled on this website when I did a google search on Australian 70's singer Colleen Hewett (no relation as far as I know). It is a site which has Australian music charts for different years dating back to the 1950's.

Anyway the pages I came to has the top 25 singles for each year based on their chart positions and the Hollies got a mention on the 1971 & 1972 charts.

On the 1971 chart 'Too Young To Be Married' came in as the 11th best selling record for the year. It stayed at the No.1 position for 2 weeks.

On the 1972 chart 'Long Cool Woman' came in as the 16th best seeling record and it's highest position was No.2.

I only looked on the charts for 1970 to 1974 but you never know some of their many other singles or albums might be in the top 25 on their prospective charts.

If you want to check the site out the address is: www.onmc.iinet.net.au/AUS/72.htm

You will come out at the Australian chart for 1971 and all you have to do is click on the year preceding or following the current chart to view them.

Bye For Now

Susie

PostPosted:Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:41 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Interesting site... the Hollies are also on No. 18 with "Bus Stop" in 1966 and on No. 7 with "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" in 1969.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 04, 2006 14:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

"Magic Woman Touch" went to No. 5 in Australia. I think "The Baby" also charted there.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 04, 2006 21:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You are right Dennis, Magic Woman Touch and The Baby both charted in Australia but unfortunately they didn't sell enough copies to make the top 25 singles for 1971 or 1972. Those charts are based on the Songs' highest chart position and how long they stayed in the charts.

Bye For Now

Susie

PostPosted:Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:06 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Susie,
I remember Too Young to Be Married being played on the radio all the time in the early 70's and I do remember it getting to number 1. I also remember some stations cutting out Tony's solo in the middle, maybe they thought the song was too long.
I also remember Magic woman touch being played a lot.
I think that's why they toured Australia heaps of times in the 70's, their singles did well in the charts,

PostPosted:Mon Jun 05, 2006 14:21 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Hi Susie,
I remember Too Young to Be Married being played on the radio all the time in the early 70's and I do remember it getting to number 1. I also remember some stations cutting out Tony's solo in the middle, maybe they thought the song was too long.
I think that's why they toured Australia heaps of times in the 70's, their singles did well in the charts,

Right on Anthony ... When it comes to touring (or the lack of same) it's certainly the case with the Hollies here in the U.S. They have no songs in the charts and absolutely no release/promotion of "Staying Power" here. To sum it up, it's all about the charts and solid promotion efforts.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 05, 2006 15:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Hi Susie,

Hi Anthony Exclamation

I remember 'Too Young To Be Married' reaching No.1 too and how happy I was and I also remember the radio stations cutting out Tony's guitar solo in the middle. even when the radio stations play it these days, they still cut out that lovely solo. At least I can hear the whole song whenever I like on my own stereo (record player) or CD player.

I also remember 'Magic Woman Touch' being played a lot but as I said in my previous post, it didn't do well enough in the charts to make the top 25 singles for 1972 unlike 'Long Cool Woman' which came in at No.16.

Bye For Now

Susie

PostPosted:Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Hi Susie,

I recall back in 1983 hearing a version of "Stop in the Name of Love" on New York radio minus Tony's solo. The radio station had to have made their own edit, as it wasn't released promotionally that way.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Susie Hewett wrote:
You are right Dennis, Magic Woman Touch and The Baby both charted in Australia but unfortunately they didn't sell enough copies to make the top 25 singles for 1971 or 1972. Those charts are based on the Songs' highest chart position and how long they stayed in the charts.

Bye For Now

Susie

OK, you Aussies, can you provide chart positions for The Hollies' hits in Australia in the '70s? I understand even "Boulder to Birmingham" (which I have come to love) and "Wiggle That Wotsit" (which I have come to loathe) made the charts there. I believe "Gasoline Alley Bred" (one of my faves) did very well in Australia, another Top 5 or thereabouts.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Dennis,
I don't remember those songs really being on the radio, I remember Stop in the name of love being played many times, Blowin' in the wind, I'm down. I didn't really listen to the radio alot in my youth.

Holliesfan I still have to send you that item, really sorry, I'll put it in the post on the weekend.

PostPosted:Tue Jun 06, 2006 14:16 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Holliesfan I still have to send you that item, really sorry, I'll put it in the post on the weekend.

Thanks for thinking of me Anthony.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 06, 2006 14:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Hi Dennis,
I don't remember those songs really being on the radio, I remember Stop in the name of love being played many times, Blowin' in the wind, I'm down. I didn't really listen to the radio alot in my youth.

I don't know what my life would have been if I HADN'T listened to radio a lot in my youth. A lot duller, that's for sure. Radio in Los Angeles was GREAT in the '60s, less so in the early '70s, due to the record industry trying to force-feed us wimps like Harry Chapin and James Taylor. By 1972, as an 18-year old, I wanted to ROCK. That's when I started buying albums more than singles.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 06, 2006 19:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Tony Marsden Post subject: AUSTRALIAN CHART PLACINGS FOR THE HOLLIES IN THE 1970s

With regard to previous questions and answers on this subject, I was sent some Australian chart placings which were utilised in the liner notes to the 2003 UK 2-CD "Greatest Hits" set. The placings might seem slightly at odds with those mentioned in the recent 'Raven' compilation but they were supplied from "Australian Chart Positions - 1970-1985" by David Kent. This book was not available commercially - only on supply to record shops. An important point is that until 1970 the Sydney chart placing was regarded as representing the whole of Australia and a national listing (utilised for the placings given below) only began that year. Subsequently "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" is listed on the national chart as peaking at No.8; the national chart was introduced while the single was on its way out of the chart. It had previously reached No.1 on the Sydney-based listing.

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (No.8, 31 weeks)
Gasoline Alley Bred (No.17, 21 weeks)
Too Young To Be Married (No.1, 22 weeks)
The Baby (No.73, 10 weeks)
Long Cool Woman (No.2, 20 weeks)
Magic Woman Touch (No.33, 18 weeks)
Slow Down, Go Down (No.73, 7 weeks)
The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down Crazy Sam McGee (No.40, 15 weeks)
The Air That I Breathe (No.2, 23 weeks)
Son Of A Rotten Gambler (No.69, 7 weeks)
I'm Down (No.26, 15 weeks)
Star (No.90, 7 weeks)

Also, in 1983, "Stop! In The Name Of Love" reached No.78 in Australia with 6 weeks in the charts.

Hope this information is of use.

Best regards

Tony

PostPosted:Sat Jan 27, 2007 17:01 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Tony,
Thanks for all the info, the songs I remember being on the radio all the time were Too Young To Be Married, Magic Woman Touch and believe it or not Stop in the name of love. In the 70's I was still at school and mid 70's I started in the work force.
Very interesting list,
Thanks again,
Anthony

PostPosted:Sat Jan 27, 2007 21:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1