graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Freddie Marsden
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Freddie Marsden
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Freddie Marsden, brother of Gerry of Gerry & The Pacemakers has died from cancer at the age of 66. Freddie was the longtime drummer for the 60's band.
PostPosted:Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

That's sad news. Another great drummer I just found out has passed away was Tony Meehan the original drummer with pop group The Shadows.
What did Freddie do when he left the Pacemakers? My memories of these guys are as young men in the old video clips.

PostPosted:Sat Jan 06, 2007 23:10 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
That's sad news. Another great drummer I just found out has passed away was Tony Meehan the original drummer with pop group The Shadows.
What did Freddie do when he left the Pacemakers? My memories of these guys are as young men in the old video clips.

I thought I read one time that Freddie ran a driving school of some sort. Not to much other info on him.
PostPosted:Sun Jan 07, 2007 13:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Freddie Marsden
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I saw one of those "After they were famous..." programmes, Freddie did indeed become a driving instructor after the original Pacemakers called it a day [I think at the end of 1966 or early 1967,after Gerry went "solo" and into shows like "Charlie Girl" etc].
Freddie called his buisness the "Pacemaker" school of motoring in honour of his old band.
He said (in the show ),they never thought they would make a "career" out of beat music, (which they started off playing for fun), so really enjoyed their three or four years of stardom,they knew Gerry would go on but,he said, the other guys and he knew when it was time to "get a "proper" job..." as he put it.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:41 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I saw Gerry and the Pacemakers for the first time on a British documentary on the British Invasion that aired on the Disney Channel when I was 9 years old. It was also where I first saw the Hollies. I remember Gerry and the Pacemakers singing "It's Gonna Be Alright" and "Ferry Cross the Mersey." They struck me as a wonderful band, full of energy and talent. Later, as I got older and heard more of their music, I became an even bigger fan of them and the British Invasion in general.

We were watching a rerun of The Ed Sullivan Show on public television a few years ago, and they showed the episode in which Gerry and the Pacemakers appeared. My dad - then 65 - had never heard of them - but I knew fully well who they were, and couldn't help but smile. My dad said, "Gerry and the Pacemakers, let me see, how do they sing?" When Gerry sang the first line of "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying," my dad said, "They sing!" When the song was over, he said to my brother, "Such an obscure group, but they sing so well. Is there anyone today who can sing like that?" I would have told him that they're not an obscure group, but I thought, let him learn that on his own. He's already discovered them. In time he'll find out Gerry and the Pacemakers are not that obscure at all.

Rest in peace, Freddie. Thank you for all the years, the wonderful music, and the memories. Rock on forever!
PostPosted:Fri Jan 26, 2007 16:27 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1