graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Enough already!
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Eloise Post subject: Enough already!

When Allan Clarke exited (forced out, whatever) the Hollies in 1999, I understood. Family comes first and you can't drop the keys of Hollies' tunes to accomodate a failing voice (you musicians, try it sometime...try lowering the key of something like "Bus Stop" and it sounds absurd).

Hiring Carl Wayne made sense. A great voice and, just for his work with the Move, he was a legendary, pop music SOMEBODY!! One might say that Allan Coates was a NOBODY and they'd be right...however, that lad was hand picked by Clarke, Hicks and Elliott and studied under Graham Nash himself during the 1983 US tour.

Coates' leaving probably wouldn't have made such a shocking mark if Carl had lived, but to combine a one-two punch and have the Hollies being fronted by a bunch of theatre level talent is just wrong.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 28, 2006 22:04 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Wow. Don't be shy, tell us how you really feel, Carrie.

Seriously, what choices do the Hollies have? Singers their age with chart credibility are few and far between, and those still working probably also can't hit the notes. Neither Clarke nor Sylvester can hit the notes like they formerly did, and I don't suppose that Graham Nash or Mike Rickfors are interested in rejoining.

So where does that leave the band? Either call it a day and permantently retire to the pubs, or else find someone new.

In my opinion, the Hollies haven't got much choice except to soldier on as they have. If you don't want to see them in person, that's your choice. I only wish I HAD the choice of whether or not to see them. Similarly, if Staying Power isn't your cup of tea, then by all means don't play it, and instead stick with the old stuff. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

And to show how far I am out of the loop, I have no idea why Coates left the band.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
an Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Carrie Eloise,

I understand you prefer The Hollies with Allan Clarke and others. I have a lot of respect for them too.
But when I saw The Hollies-2006 live in Belgium a few weeks ago I heard and saw they are much, much more than just another 'oldies band'. It was classe.

An
PostPosted:Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
I Won't Move Over Post subject:

Carrie Eloise

I know you're entitled to your opinion but it came across as quite rude. Clarke was brilliant in his day, Carl was excellent and now Peter has a great voice, a great stage presence and is a great musician. He's very talented. The same can be said for Steve. If they're good enough for Tony and the lads, they're good enough for me!

PostPosted:Fri Dec 29, 2006 23:07 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Peter Howarth was probably the best vocalist the Hollies could have gotten, after Allan's departure and Carl's death. Carrie Eloise must have had too much vinegar before writing that message.

I my opinion Peter musically fits in better than Carl, with him we get a more old Hollies-like sound. Should I critisise the present band in any way, it might be for the loss of Alan Coates. His voice reminded me a lot of Graham Nash's, just think of his superb version of Butterfly. I really miss his contribution, although I realise that Steve is making progress. Could we have a solo from Steve sometime, please?

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:42 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Alan Coates
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes it was a shame "Coatsey" left the band,he did sound uncannily like Graham Nash...
PostPosted:Mon Jan 22, 2007 18:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1