graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Andy Fairweather Low
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Andy Fairweather Low
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I thought some of you might be interested in a short review I wrote for another messageboard...

Andy Fairweather Low
Queen's Hall, Edinburgh, 12 Nov 2006, approx 300 in attendance

Andy has carved out a varied career for himself, starting off in his late teens as lead singer/guitarist with 60's Welsh group Amen Corner, then leading a sax-less version of the band (Fairweather) into prog territory before launching a successful solo career. For the past twenty years, he's been a hired hand for the likes of Clapton, George Harrison, The Who and has played with Roger Waters for many years.

Last night's gig was a superb hour and three quarters of eclectic music, from the Fairweather hit 'Natural Sinner', a choice selection of Amen Corner hits 'Gin House', 'Bend Me, Shape Me' and '(If Paradise Is) Half As Nice', his solo hits 'Reggae Tune' and 'Wide Eyed and Legless' as well as some blues, gospel, reggae and rock and a good selection from his new album 'Sweet Soulful Music'. He is a truly superb guitarist, a shame that he's been relegated mainly to bass with Roger Waters' band. Andy's band featured the superb Dave Bronze (Procol Harum, Dr Feelgood et al) on both bass guitar and electro-acoustic standup bass. Great between song banter was enjoyed by the audience and we all benefited from a spot-on sound balance at this lovely venue.

Andy spent a good while after the show chatting to fans and signing CD's. I had a chat with him and said that I hoped he returned again soon. He commented that he's doing less and less work with Roger Waters and that will free up some time for his solo work. I also mentioned that I thought it was a shame that he mostly played bass with Waters rather than showing off his varied guitar style. I stopped short of asking him about Waters' pre-recorded tapes we discussed here a few months ago It's true what has been said here that meeting the artist after the gig really helps to make a great gig even more memorable. Even right down to asking your name, shaking your hand and asking who the signed CD is for as AFL did last night.

Great gig, thoroughly recommend seeing him in the future. Last night was the final date of a short 10 date tour. Here's the URL for his latest album http://www.proper-records.co.uk/artists.php?action=arview&arid=1006

He'll be playing with Bill Wyman for the remainder of this month.

PostPosted:Wed Nov 15, 2006 17:23 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

James,
Nice to read your review of the Andy Fairweather Low gig! Thanks!!

His latest cd Sweet soulfull music, released this summer, is a nice album. A mature musician.

You also made me listen to Amen Corner again (havenīt listened to them for many years). Thereīs an awful version of Love me tender, but also wonderful tracks like "If paradise is half as nice".

Maybe itīs time to listen to his old soloalbums too. A great musician, for sure!
PostPosted:Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Bonus

Check out his first three 70's solo albums on a 2CD set - 'Wide Eyes and Legless: The A&M Recordings' which is good value. Yes, I've heard some dodgy Amen Corner covers, but they also did some good ones such as 'The Weight' and 'Proud Mary'.

Great band, and very under-rated. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted:Fri Nov 17, 2006 16:35 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James!

I remember Andy Fairweather Low from the 60s as the singer of Amen Corner, and (If Paradise Is) Half As Nice as a good song.
When I read your review and checked out the link, I became curious of "Sweet Soulful Music".
I went to a record shop, where they ordered it for me. I gave it a quick listen, liked what I heard, and bought it.
It's a really nice record. I especially like Hymn 4 My Soul, Ashes And Diamonds, The Low Rider and of course Zazzy.
Thank you very much for the tip!

PostPosted:Fri Nov 24, 2006 16:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You're welcome, Agneta! Zazzy went down very well live. Used to have Amen Corner - The Immediate Anthology, sold it, then just bought another copy this week. Includes a great live album amongst their other work for Immediate. Well worth checking out too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paradise-Was-Half-Nice-Immediate/dp/B00004Z1E8/sr=8-1/qid=1164388004/ref=pd_ka_1/202-1656777-0639058?ie=UTF8&s=music

(And no, I'm not on commission!) Laughing

PostPosted:Fri Nov 24, 2006 17:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1