graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » All the Hits...AGAIN
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject: All the Hits...AGAIN
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Just got an e-mail from Amazon telling me about an upcoming (October 31) release of yet another collection, this one on the Australian Raven label. It is said to contain every Top 20 UK and every Top 20 US hit between '63 and '74. Which means many of us have most of these tracks 10 or 15 times over in our collections...

"The Ultimate Hollies 1963-1974: On a Carousel combines every UK Top 20 and USA Top 20 HOLLIES hit, from 1964 to 1974 on one CD. The Hollies were superlative pop craftsmen and their exhilarating vocal harmonies remain some of the richest and most celebrated in the entire history of pop music. Compiled from the group's recordings for Parlophone and Polydor, this is hit after hit, 25 tracks and 77 minutes of unforgettable melodies. Every song contained here is a three-minute pop masterpiece: Bus Stop, Carrie Anne, Stop Stop Stop, On a Carousel, King Midas in Reverse, He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother, Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress, The Air That I Breathe, all their greatest hits and more! With superb quality audio transferred from the original analogue masters, this is the perfect Hollies collection on one definitive CD. "

1. Stay
2. Just One Look
3. Here I Go Again
4. We're Through
5. I'm Alive
6. Yes I Will
7. Look Through Any Window
8. I Can't Let Go
9. If I Needed Someone
10. Bus Stop
11. Stop, Stop, Stop
12. On a Carousel
13. Pay You Back With Interest
14. Carrie Anne
15. King Midas in Reverse
16. Dear Eloise
17. Jennifer Eccles
18. Listen to Me
19. Sorry Suzanne
20. He Ain't Heavy… He's My Brother
21. I Can't Tell the Bottom from the Top
22. Gasoline Alley Bred
23. Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)
24. Long Dark Road
25. Air That I Breathe

PostPosted:Tue Oct 17, 2006 19:08 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Gaaaaawd Rolling Eyes

When will the compilers be a bit more inventive? There's plenty of rare stuff out there (b-sides, extended cuts) which would make a brilliant compilation and would sell very well to your fairly-committed Hollies fan.

PostPosted:Tue Oct 17, 2006 19:24 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hey, a bit of a surprise here...just because you have all these songs many times over , I wouldn't disregard this one. Maybe it's just my ears, though.

Got my copy of this CD yesterday...the sticker on the jewel case said "Stunning audio re-masters - the ultimate mono/stereo mixes". I thought to myself, "yeah, doesn't every compilation say that these days?".

But when I played the Raven collection, I was transfixed, gobsmacked, etc.! Most of the songs are the best mixes of such well known Hollies hits I've ever heard in hundreds and, in some cases, thousands of listens. The songs just reached out beyond my speakers, grabbed me and said "I don't care how many times you've heard me, this is what I was meant to sound like." There is a certain brightness to the sound, yet nothing has has been sacrificed on the bottom end. Most CDs I find myself adjusting the bass up or down a tick, or the treble, or both. This one sounded best with the bass and treble left on the neutral "0" setting.

The Raven collection is a sonic delight. Anthony, Kathy and the rest of the Aussies on this board can take smug satisfaction in knowing that Raven GOT IT RIGHT.

PostPosted:Wed Nov 08, 2006 17:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Raven released the Coulson, Dean McGuiness Flint album of Dylan covers a few years back and there's brilliant sound on it too. Just goes to show what smaller labels can do, compared to the larger, respected organisations such as EMI.

PostPosted:Wed Nov 08, 2006 19:28 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1