graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » CD-single release - The Baby / Oh Granny
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: CD-single release - The Baby / Oh Granny
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Cool-Woman-Hollies/dp/B000E8M33K/sr=1-60/qid=1162602932/ref=sr_1_60/002-0307067-1040079?ie=UTF8&s=music

Does anyone know if this features the Clarke lead vocal, or the second version where they wiped Allan's lead and stuck Terry's vocal on top?
PostPosted:Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Good point!
Since this is just a sampler from the French EP collection album by Magic, anyone who has bought this collection should be able to answer this question.

I may be forced to buy it anyway, since I believe this is the first time the Holliepops medley is out on CD.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:51 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Crossie Post subject:

Knut wrote:

I may be forced to buy it anyway, since I believe this is the first time the Holliepops medley is out on CD.

Knut, not quite, Wink it's also on the German (-only ?) CD "Premium Gold Collection Volume 2", released almost 10 years ago (1997).
See e.g. here:
http://www.musicline.de/de/product/Hollies,+The/Premium+Gold+Collection+Vol.2/CD///724383302925

All the best
Crossie
PostPosted:Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Crossie, long time, so see.

Alas, I can't speak German, so I have no idea how one would order that disc from the website you linked.
PostPosted:Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Crossie Post subject:

SpartyScott wrote:
Hi Crossie, long time, so see.

Alas, I can't speak German, so I have no idea how one would order that disc from the website you linked.

Hi Scott,

even if you could speak German, you wouldn't be able to order the disc from that website. Laughing Wink Shocked
It's only a music "portal" with links to various online stores (like e.g. the German Amazon, JPC, etc.; see the upper left corner of webpage).
You have to click on those links to get to the stores where you can actually buy the CD. The German Amazon should work pretty much like other countries' Amazon pages, so it's relatively easy to figure out; I know that JPC has a little flag on the main page which lets you switch to English language, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

But beware, usually the postage / shipping costs to the US are extraordinarily high !!! Crying or Very sad I haven't checked but it wouldn't surprise me if the shipping charges were higher than the price for the CD itself.
So it might be easier for you to order it from (American) Amazon ? Seems like they offer it as well, see here:

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Gold-Collection-2-Hollies/dp/samples/B00000IBH4/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/104-7590080-6192752#disc_1

And yes, "Hollipops" is on that CD, the Amazon-track listing mentions "He ain't heavy" as the last track, but it's in fact "Hollipops" (with Heavy of course being part of the medley), as you can also hear when listening to the sound sample.

Hope this helps.
Crossie
PostPosted:Sat Nov 04, 2006 14:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi, Crossie,

Thanks for the info on Holliepops. I wasn't aware of that one, I guess. Anyway the sound quality on the Magic releases tend to be very good, so I believe I go for that one.

Can anyone enlighten us on which version of Oh granny that is on the Magic release?

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:26 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Now I have listened to both versions. On the Magic-cd version of Oh Granny itīs Allan who takes the lead. On the original single itīs Terry.

As you know the song is written by Tony Hicks- Kenny Lynch. Thereīs a quite good cd-compilation with Kenny Lynch; Nothing but the real thing, the best 1960-69.
PostPosted:Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Why does it appear so difficult to get the TS-sung version on official CD release?! Answers on a postcard to the usual address Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted:Mon Nov 06, 2006 21:42 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Why does it appear so difficult to get the TS-sung version on official CD release?! Answers on a postcard to the usual address Rolling Eyes Laughing

You want a guess?

While Allan was part of the group, he'd have wanted his version included, as otherwise he wouldn't get any money for it as he didn't participate on the Terry-version.

That's why a lead singer should always pull a Davey Jones and at LEAST shake a tambourine a bit on every song. That way, even if the group wipes his vocals, he'll be on every track and get his share of the money. Laughing
PostPosted:Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:55 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
James Towill wrote:

You want a guess?

While Allan was part of the group, he'd have wanted his version included, as otherwise he wouldn't get any money for it as he didn't participate on the Terry-version.

That's why a lead singer should always pull a Davey Jones and at LEAST shake a tambourine a bit on every song. That way, even if the group wipes his vocals, he'll be on every track and get his share of the money. Laughing

That seems sensible. Surely Magic could have unearthed the TS version though, as it sat on the B-side of The Baby originally. Strange that no-one seems to have latched on to this, even EMI got it wrong in the '90's with the Singles A's and B's 1970-79 collection. It's a great little song and would have been good even on the box set.

PostPosted:Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:47 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1