graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Worst cover ever -- Just One Look by the Bee Gees
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Worst cover ever -- Just One Look by the Bee Gees
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

A while back I stumbled across 2-disc compilation CD of the Bee Gees early stuff.

It pretty much predates all their hits except "Spicks and Specks," which is included on the second disc. Also in the compilation is a dreadful cover of Macca's "You Won't See Me" (complete with butchered lyrics by the Brothers Gibb).

Hollies fans will note that the Aussie lads also attempted a cover of Just One Look.

When I heard this song, all I could say was "Oh My God!!!!"

You have to hear this to understand just how bad the cover is. And there's no question that the Bee Gees are covering the Hollies rather than the Doris Troy original, because the tempo is like the Hollies' 1964 effort and not at all like Doris Troy's version.

Anyway, if you ever want to understand just how much better the Hollies were than other beat groups of their era, give a listen to the Bee Gees butchering this song.
PostPosted:Mon Jul 03, 2006 20:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks to the wonders of Google, I found out a little about the CD that I own: It's called "Brilliant From Birth" and it's a 1998 compilation.

http://www.columbiauniversity.org/~brennan/beegees/64.coulditbe.html

Bee Gees
personnel
Barry Gibb -- vocal, guitar
Robin Gibb -- vocal
Maurice Gibb -- vocal
others unknown
produced by Robert Iredale

Comp
CAN'T YOU SEE THAT SHE'S MINE
writers: Dave Clark, Mike Smith (1964)
recorded mid 1964, Festival Studio, Sydney
lead vocal Barry Gibb
2:17 mono CD Brilliant from birth
Mime track for Sing! Sing! Sing! television show. Original by the Dave Clark Five, 1964.

Comp
FROM ME TO YOU
writers: Paul McCartney, John Lennon (1963)
lead vocal Barry Gibb
1:54 mono CD Brilliant from birth
Mime track for Sing! Sing! Sing! television show. Original by the Beatles, 1963.

Comp
YESTERDAY'S GONE
writers: Chad Stuart, Wendy Kidd (1964)
lead vocal Barry Gibb
2:28 mono CD Brilliant from birth
Mime track for Sing! Sing! Sing! television show. Original by Chad and Jeremy, 1964.

Comp
JUST ONE LOOK
writers: Doris Payne, Gregory Carroll (1951)
recorded June 1964, Festival Studio, Sydney
lead vocal Barry Gibb
1:59 mono CD Brilliant from birth
Mime track for Sing! Sing! Sing! television show. Original by Doris Troy, 1951. Model by the Hollies, 1964.

ABILENE
writers: Lester Brown, John D Loudermilk, Bob Gibson (1963)
lead vocal Barry Gibb
mono unreleased.
Mime track for Sing! Sing! Sing! television show. Model by George Hamilton IV, 1963.

These five songs were recorded at Festival but not for record release. They were made so the Bee Gees could mime to them on Johnny O'Keefe's television show Sing! Sing! Sing!, which featured Australian artists performing their versions of current hit songs. Four of these were by English beat groups; "Abilene" was by an American country and western singer.

The disks, no longer needed after the show went out, were miraculously recovered in October 1983 by a man who found them at a garage sale in a Sydney suburb, and who allowed their use for the Brilliant from Birth set in 1998. "Abilene" was left off because the CD set ran overlong. The disk labels do not give the dates, but "Just one look" is known to be for a show in the second week of June 1964, on which another Festival group called the Rajahs did "Can't you see that she's mine". The show featured the same song repeatedly while it stayed on the charts, so the Bee Gees' version is probably near that date.
PostPosted:Mon Jul 03, 2006 21:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1