graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Suspended Animation Remixed
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Suspended Animation Remixed
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It's taken The Hollies 30 years to come up with another dance club gem ("Draggin' My Heels" was the first one), but "Suspended Animation" is just crying out for a remix or three. How can we get the message across to the band that they need to remix this great track? It could use some caribbean steel drums for one thing (a la "Carrie-Anne"), and some added percussion. This track needs to be pushed as a dance record. I feel this is the only way The Hollies can get any attention with their new music at this point. Electronica dance music is hot and would be the best avenue for them. Best case scenario: the band gets some outside remixers to have a go with "Suspended Animation". This would give the band some much-needed street credibility. The dance music scene is far less judgemental and more open than mainstream radio.
PostPosted:Sat Jul 01, 2006 17:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Suspended Animation Remixed
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I agree with you there Dennis, & this song should be getting lots of airplay on the radio & in clubs, it's just right for this weather we are having.
PostPosted:Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:32 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Suspended Animation Remixed
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shelley wrote:
I agree with you there Dennis, & this song should be getting lots of airplay on the radio & in clubs, it's just right for this weather we are having.

Yes, yes, yes. This track is the hit that they need so badly now. It's the best track to come out of the band in DECADES.
PostPosted:Sun Jul 02, 2006 17:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: Suspended Animation Remixed
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Shelley wrote:

Yes, yes, yes. This track is the hit that they need so badly now. It's the best track to come out of the band in DECADES.
Shocked

Can I respectfully suggest that dance club music -- particularly the Draggin' My Heels remix, is definitely NOT why I became a Hollies fan?
PostPosted:Sun Jul 02, 2006 17:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: Re: Suspended Animation Remixed
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis wrote:
It's the best track to come out of the band in DECADES.

???

no
PostPosted:Sun Jul 02, 2006 22:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Do you want new fans to be attracted to the band or not? Do you want The Hollies to gain more popularity or not? If not, we're all they've got and all they will have. Isn't the point of making music to appeal to as many people as possible? Isn't that what The Hollies have always been about? The new album is obviously NOT aimed at long-established fans. Potential NEW fans, twenty-somethings and such, who go out to clubs and hear music that way, don't know The Hollies from Adam. These are the people that a remix of "Suspended Animation" could reach. How old is the average Hollies fan? 50? 55? When you are open to possibilities, that is when things can happen. Close your mind, and nothing does. If you are not excited by "Suspended Animation", then you must hate the whole album, because it is clearly the best cut on it. A poll taken on this website confirmed this. It came out on top of the list. It's the only track on the album that holds up to repeated listenings, signifying "hit". It's great.
PostPosted:Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:58 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I really do agree with you Dennis that some of the songs on Staying Power , including Suspended Animation, should be remixed for a single! But also, for example, So damned beautiful, which is a just wonderful melody.

Suspended Animation could be a fantastic catchy, jingling and modern dancesong if it was given a more brave arrangement. SDB could be the real heartbreaker...
PostPosted:Mon Jul 03, 2006 13:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Bonus wrote:
I really do agree with you Dennis that some of the songs on Staying Power , including Suspended Animation, should be remixed for a single! But also, for example, So damned beautiful, which is a just wonderful melody.

Suspended Animation could be a fantastic catchy, jingling and modern dancesong if it was given a more brave arrangement. SDB could be the real heartbreaker...

I think "Suspended Animation" is wonderful just the way it is, but it has lots of room for remixes. This could be done without the band's involvement, if they so choose. I'm just trying to imagine what it would sound like if, for instance, Pet Shop Boys remixed it. They are on the same label (EMI). I just would hate for this fun, catchy track to slip away without getting more notice. It deserves to be heard by more people than just the Hollies' fan base.
PostPosted:Wed Jul 05, 2006 14:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis, I think you are right. "Suspended Animation" could be a summer hit single. It has lot of potential. But I wouldn't like to see it being remixed by any other artist than The Hollies because I would like them to be known by more people, especially in Germany and especially by more people of my age. I am just 27 years old and I love nearly all of The Hollies recordings. But noone knows them in my circle of friends and relatives. Sometimes that makes me very sad.

"Suspended Animation" could change that but it must be THEIR hit, not one by The Pet Shop Boys or any other artist. I wasn't born when The Hollies had most of their hits and I still don't understand why people know The Kinks, The Byrds or The Monkees while I think that The Hollies are the best band next to The Beatles. The only explanation for that I can find in a wrong management policy because every Hollie is a great musician and they have done lots of great songs and lots of hits noone knows that the musicians of the hit are The Hollies. I want The Hollies to have a hit and I want The Hollies to play their whole set in Germany, but unfortunately, these things will remain unfulfillled dreams, I think.

Anyway, there is at least one Hollie fan under the age of 50 Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Jul 05, 2006 15:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Michaelstoker78 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I am 27 as well, and as well from Germany, so it seems there are quite some fans who havenīt reached 50 and are Hollies fans. I am a fan since 93 and have everything they ever released.
I had a bit of mixed feelings regarding Staying Power, because it is, of course, not Allan Clarke who is my hero. But I am sure it is great material that has been released with Staying Power and it is a shame it has passed kinda unnoticed. Perhaps we should just send Suspended Animations to all the radio djīs and ask them to play it. It is such a great song and would be a worthy summer hit. And if it is a hit a lot more people would care for the band that recorded it.

cheers,

michael

benny-b-goode wrote:
Dennis, I think you are right. "Suspended Animation" could be a summer hit single. It has lot of potential. But I wouldn't like to see it being remixed by any other artist than The Hollies because I would like them to be known by more people, especially in Germany and especially by more people of my age. I am just 27 years old and I love nearly all of The Hollies recordings. But noone knows them in my circle of friends and relatives. Sometimes that makes me very sad.

"Suspended Animation" could change that but it must be THEIR hit, not one by The Pet Shop Boys or any other artist. I wasn't born when The Hollies had most of their hits and I still don't understand why people know The Kinks, The Byrds or The Monkees while I think that The Hollies are the best band next to The Beatles. The only explanation for that I can find in a wrong management policy because every Hollie is a great musician and they have done lots of great songs and lots of hits noone knows that the musicians of the hit are The Hollies. I want The Hollies to have a hit and I want The Hollies to play their whole set in Germany, but unfortunately, these things will remain unfulfillled dreams, I think.

PostPosted:Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:38 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Michaelstoker78 wrote:
I am 27 as well, and as well from Germany, so it seems there are quite some fans who havenīt reached 50 and are Hollies fans. I am a fan since 93 and have everything they ever released.
I had a bit of mixed feelings regarding Staying Power, because it is, of course, not Allan Clarke who is my hero. But I am sure it is great material that has been released with Staying Power and it is a shame it has passed kinda unnoticed. Perhaps we should just send Suspended Animations to all the radio djīs and ask them to play it. It is such a great song and would be a worthy summer hit. And if it is a hit a lot more people would care for the band that recorded it.

cheers,

michael

benny-b-goode wrote:

Having remixes done by somebody else adds credibility to the track and the artist. It is not a negative thing at all. It is the modern way for a song to get more attention and that is what is needed. It wouldn't have to be The Pet Shop Boys doing it; it could be any number of noted remixers who take a track and add things to make it more appealing to the club crowd. I strongly feel this is what needs to be done, to save this very infectious song from being ignored, as it seems to be so far. "Suspended Animation" is a great summer pop tune in the tradition of The Hollies' most-loved hits. It is THAT good. I have not been as excited by a Hollies track in a LONG time.

As for The Hollies not being as well-known as the other bands you mentioned, again, it is partially their own fault, for not making any video material available. The Monkees had a 1960s weekly TV show, which had MTV exposure in the '80s, and has been available on home video for years. It's all about the visual as well as the music. If they don't go hand in hand, a band's profile is greatly diminished, as in the case of The Hollies. A band can't get popular, no matter how good the music is, by ignoring trends such as the music video industry.
PostPosted:Tue Jul 11, 2006 23:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Banjo

Banjo

See, Dennis, the problem is in my opinion that neither The Hollies nor EMI have the necessary confidence in this exciting project called "Staying Power". More than half a decade ago I read in a German article on the band that the record companies seemed to be too much satisfied with compilation successes (see the late 70s "20 Golden Greats", 1993s "The Air that I Breathe" or 2003s "Greatest Hits") to give enough money for producing and promoting a new studio album. Looking at the time starting from the early 70s The Hollies never had the success they would have deserved with their studio albums, among them some of my favourites like "Another Night" and "Write on". So what does EMI do this time? They let them produce a new album of new material but donīt trust the quality enough to promote it in a decent way. Itīs just not the way you deal with such legendary and most prolific musicians.

As for "Suspended Animation" - itīs one of the best songs I have heard from the Hollies. It can be a classic! It has all the qualities, all the possibilities, it is a chance not to be missed. Summer hits.... I have only heard crap so far this summer.... nothing worthwhile. So EMI should really get their act together, as well as the band and do something!!! The summer and the good weather donīt last forever! I sometimes think the band is satisfied that the new album is in the shops and closes the chapter at this moment. But if the Olsen Brothers can have a European smash hit with "Fly on the Wings of Love", The Hollies could have had as well with the likes of "Suspended Animation" or "Emotions" - another one of my favourites from the new album.

So, come on, Hollies, youīre a great band! You have brillant material and your audiences are raving about it, so letīs go and get your new single "Suspended Animation" to the masses!!!!

PostPosted:Wed Jul 12, 2006 0:40 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Michaelstoker78 wrote:
See, Dennis, the problem is in my opinion that neither The Hollies nor EMI have the necessary confidence in this exciting project called "Staying Power". More than half a decade ago I read in a German article on the band that the record companies seemed to be too much satisfied with compilation successes (see the late 70s "20 Golden Greats", 1993s "The Air that I Breathe" or 2003s "Greatest Hits") to give enough money for producing and promoting a new studio album. Looking at the time starting from the early 70s The Hollies never had the success they would have deserved with their studio albums, among them some of my favourites like "Another Night" and "Write on". So what does EMI do this time? They let them produce a new album of new material but donīt trust the quality enough to promote it in a decent way. Itīs just not the way you deal with such legendary and most prolific musicians.

As for "Suspended Animation" - itīs one of the best songs I have heard from the Hollies. It can be a classic! It has all the qualities, all the possibilities, it is a chance not to be missed. Summer hits.... I have only heard crap so far this summer.... nothing worthwhile. So EMI should really get their act together, as well as the band and do something!!! The summer and the good weather donīt last forever! I sometimes think the band is satisfied that the new album is in the shops and closes the chapter at this moment. But if the Olsen Brothers can have a European smash hit with "Fly on the Wings of Love", The Hollies could have had as well with the likes of "Suspended Animation" or "Emotions" - another one of my favourites from the new album.

So, come on, Hollies, youīre a great band! You have brillant material and your audiences are raving about it, so letīs go and get your new single "Suspended Animation" to the masses!!!!

All it would take is for EMI to see the light and release "Suspended Animation" as a single, not just an obscure promo for radio stations only. The Hollies have always been about HITS, and "Suspended Animation", to my ears, is their latest, and a fresh-sounding one at that. It doesn't sound anything like they've recorded before, but didn't "Long Cool Woman" achieve a similiar feat?

As for their albums, here in the US at least The Hollies enjoyed a certain amount of LP success, notably "Distant Light", "Romany", and "Hollies" ('74), which all charted and achieved coveted FM radio airplay, unheard of for the band previously.
PostPosted:Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:08 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Michael,

It seems to be true that The Hollies and EMI never had enough confidence in their own projects. But there is a different background in Germany and the United States.
When I bought the albums by The Hollies on CD I saw the discs only once in my life in a CD shop, and that was when I actually bought them. At least in Germany there is no great interest in selling the albums by The Hollies.
Especially in Germany it would be a very tough job to make a Hollies song a hit today. Most of the summer hit acts are promoted by television (think about the Superstar shows). I think that all of this is crap but noone seems to care. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Olson Brothers were winners of the Grand Prix once, right ? So, noone seems to care whether a song is good or not. The new artists for the young generation have to be on television or have to be promoted by television. If "Suspended Animation" would be recorded by one of those TV acts it certainly would be a hit but not if it is a song by The Hollies (not in Germany, at least). Noone seems to know them here. That annoys me very much but that seems to be a very sad fact.
So, how would you imagine to promote "Suspended Animation" by The Hollies in a way that even the youths, for whom the song would be intended, would buy it in Germany ? I really don't know. If you have an idea I would be the first one to support it if it's good because I really want The Hollies to be more recognized in Germany. Maybe they would come here for a whole live concert with The Hollies only on the show programme then.
PostPosted:Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Banjo

Banjo

Hi Benny, itīs true that at least at the moment The Hollies arenīt the most recognized act in Germany, at least in the media. However, they did enjoy success even in the 80s over here with TV appearances etc.
You know, I am not so fond of retro-shows, at least the way they are handled over here, but these shows would give a certain possibility to be on television again. Last year Sat1 broadcast a 60s show with Hugo Egon Balder, and the Hollies werenīt on it, however they were sort of announced to be appearing and then Eric Haydock showed up with his Class of 64.

Certainly itīs not so easy to get the attention of the media, but if I were the Hollies Iīd just send "Suspended Animation" to radio djīs and if theyīd like the song theyīd certainly play it. Itīs just about quality here. And this certainly could be done in Germany as well.
As for the Olsen Brothers youīre right, they won the Song Contest. Wonder why the Hollies never thought about appearing on this show? They would have been much better than the usual British participants.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2