graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Billy Preston dead at 59
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Billy Preston dead at 59
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Although I was no fan of his music, I did see him open for The Hollies (with Mikael Rickfors) in Santa Monica, CA in 1972. His black fans left after his set. I know it's not polite to speak ill of the dead, but, frankly, I thought he was obnoxious on stage. The Hollies, of course, were stunning.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 06, 2006 19:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I´m sorry that Billy Preston is dead. But I´m happy that The Hollies are alive!

Didn´t know that they were on the same bill in 1972. Interesting new facts. Thanks Dennis!!
PostPosted:Tue Jun 06, 2006 21:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Who's Billy Preston?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Who's Billy Preston?

Sorry I'm 37 and in 1972 I was only 3.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:53 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Sad news again...

Billy Preston was a piano/keyboard player who had some hits in the late '60s and '70s like "That's The Way God Planned It" or "Outa-Space". He is also known for playing with the Beatles on their "Get Back-sessions" which became the "Let It Be"-album. He can be heard on songs like "Get Back" or "I've Got A Feeling". He has also written and played on "You Are So Beautiful" made famous by Joe Cocker.
Other artists he played with were among others the Rolling Stones, Sly & the Family Stone and the three Ex-Beatles Lennon, Harrison and Ringo Starr.
With Harrison and Starr he also participated on the "Concert For Bangla Desh" where he sung "That's The Way God Planned It" which absolutely rocked (as it can be seen on the new rereleased DVD of that Concert - I also wasn't around at the time...).
The last records he played on that I know about are "Get Born" by Jet from 2003 where he played keyboards on two songs (Come Around Again and Roll Over DJ), Neil Diamonds "12 Songs" and "Stadium Arcadium" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. All three albums are worth having!
PostPosted:Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: Who's Billy Preston?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shelley wrote:
Who's Billy Preston?

Shocked

Shelly, request "Will It Go 'Round In Circles" sometime at your local oldies radio station. That song rocks.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Billy was also on the concert for George, on the news they said he was in a coma since last September I think it was and they called him the 5 th Beatle. George Harrison called him up to come and hang out with the Beatles while they were making Abbey Road.
Far too young to go at 59.

PostPosted:Wed Jun 07, 2006 13:55 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Billy Preston
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for all your replies guys.
PostPosted:Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:51 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Who's Billy Preston?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shelley wrote:
Who's Billy Preston?

He opened for The Hollies on November 22, 1972 at the Civic Auditorium in Santa Monica, California, their last gig of their biggest-ever US tour which took place in the fall of 1972.
PostPosted:Sat Jun 10, 2006 19:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
CeireB Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Anthony wrote:
Billy was also on the concert for George, on the news they said he was in a coma since last September I think it was and they called him the 5 th Beatle. George Harrison called him up to come and hang out with the Beatles while they were making Abbey Road.

I'd also heard him referred to as the 5th Beatle. I'm a bit like Shelley though and other than what I've heard on the news since his death I wouldn't have known of him Embarassed

PostPosted:Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:45 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

CeireB wrote:
Anthony wrote:

I'd also heard him referred to as the 5th Beatle. I'm a bit like Shelley though and other than what I've heard on the news since his death I wouldn't have known of him Embarassed

5th Beatle? Hardly. He played keyboards on "Get Back". That does not make him a Beatle by any stretch of the imagination.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:50 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
CeireB Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Dennis wrote:
CeireB wrote:
Anthony wrote:

5th Beatle? Hardly. He played keyboards on "Get Back". That does not make him a Beatle by any stretch of the imagination.

I wouldn't have thought so either, but that's what was said on the radio and on the news on the telly

PostPosted:Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:13 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Sad news, he first met 'The Beatles' at 'The Star Club Hamburg' back in 1962, he was playing in 'Little Richard's' group at the time. I think he was only 16 at that time, in 1969 George Harrison attended a concert of his in London and afterwards invited Billy to come to a Beatles session. The Beatles were recording 'The Get Back/Let It Be' album at the Apple H.Q. in Saville Rowe. Billy came and was warmly greeted by 'The Beatles' and was asked to play on the recordings, Billy played keyboards on 'Get Back 'and the b side 'Don't Let Me Down'. He also played on quite a few of the album tracks which can now be heared on 'Let It Be Naked'. He also played with them on the roof top concert.

In the mid 70's he played with 'The Rolling Stones' he also had a solo spot, he also played in 'Ringo's All Star Band'. A very talented musician who will be sadly missed.

PostPosted:Sat Jul 01, 2006 17:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1