graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Bobby Elliott Interview/In Concert 1969 - Record Collector
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Bobby Elliott Interview/In Concert 1969 - Record Collector
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Picked up a copy of RC today which has a lengthy Bobby Elliott interview where he mentions some interesting nuggets:

'He [Clarkey] left in 1999 and by then his voice had passed its best and we were using technical assistance for him on stage and it wasn't a happy time. With hindsight we went on too long. He should have retired two or three years before.'

This begs the question - what was the 'technical assistance' - surely not tapes?

'I'm sorry that we didn't make an album with Carl'

This is slightly at odds with was has been written about Carl wanting the band to record material.

The final article on the band, about the 1969 'In Concert' states that 75% of the music performed by the group during the 37 minute show was mimed. A member of the public wrote in to enquire why had the band to mime and the BBC offered the explanation that: 'The Hollies wanted the viewer to hear the best possible rendering of their numbers. The new member of the group is still slightly unsure of the rather complex harmonies'. Shocked

The author ends with the splendid news that the BBC wiped the colour performance, but that it still survives in B&W! Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

All in all an edition of RC well worth a read.

PostPosted:Thu Apr 13, 2006 18:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Intersting stuff:

Yes, I've heard some of Allan's singing in his last couple of years -- clearly, he was in no shape to perform. So, I agree that the band went on that way for far too long. "Technical assistance" sounds like lip-synching in concert, which should be illegal.

I don't have much comment to make about the lack of a Carl Wayne album. Clearly, though, one would think that the Hollies COULD have made an album some time between 1983 and 2006 if they'd really wanted to do so.

As to the 1969 article about what I assume means Terry lip-synched his vocals and guitar in concet, that bit about harmonies being too complex sounds strange to me. A 37 minute concert means what, perhaps 15 songs tops, right? It's hard to believe that Terry couldn't have learned how to sing 15 songs as background singer, particularly since a few of those songs had just finished them in the studio (the Dylan album, which he should have known perfectly). What's more, Terry was, after all, chosen for the band as Graham's replacement precisely because he WAS able to sing harmonies so well. And let's be honest -- Terry certainly wouldn't have had a lot of demands put on him for his guitar work, considering the fact that Graham didn't play his guitar in concert. Surely Terry could have stood there strumming an unplugged guitar just as easily as Graham used to do. But 75% of the show was fake? That sounds like he means everything was lip-synched expect Allan's vocal and maybe Tony's lead guitar. Yuck!

Just out of curiosity, may I ask exactly what "RC" is? The only British mags I ever heard about were NME and Melody Maker.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 13, 2006 20:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

RC is just my abbreviation for Record Collector - the name of the magazine.

I have seen a few brief clips from the 'In Concert' - Bus Stop, Carrie Anne and Sorry Suzanne were definitely live, but a clip of them doing I'll Be Your Baby Tonight was definitely mimed by the whole band, not just Terry.

PostPosted:Thu Apr 13, 2006 20:32 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Clue me in about this 1969 show. A TV special? Was the exact title "In Concert", or something else? So only a few clips have been circulating from it? I do have a clip (from that show?) of them doing "All I Really Want to Do" and it is lip-sunk. Embarassed
PostPosted:Thu Apr 13, 2006 21:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hollies In Concert, accompanied by Arthur Greenslade Orchestra, recorded at Golders Green Hippodrome, London 30 March 1969 taping between 1830 and 2230, broadcast on BBC 2 in colour on 3 May 1969, watched by 1.7% of UHF viewing public.

Tracks:

CARRIE ANNE
JUST LIKE A WOMAN
MEDLEY: JUST ONE LOOK/BUS STOP/ON A CAROUSEL/SORRY
SUZANNE
QUIT YOUR LOW DOWN WAYS
I'LL BE YOUR BABY TONIGHT
MAYBE ILL SETTLE DOWN
STOP STOP STOP
A TASTE OF HONEY
STEWBALL
MIGHTY QUINN
BLOWIN IN THE WIND

Consider yourself clued-in, Dennis Wink Laughing

PostPosted:Thu Apr 13, 2006 22:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
Sadly I heard that Allan's voice had gone towards the end of his time with the band and I also heard he did mime at times. What a sad time it must have been knowing his wonderful was not as good as it once was.
Hey in the 60's what band didn't mime on telly, some groups did a better job than others. Sometimes the Beatles just mucked about when they mimed, a real send up.
Thanks James, sure is a great list of songs.
I have a clip of Allan Coates doing On a carousel and I swear if you close your eyes it could be Graham singing, looks strange, I think it just looks better when you mime to your own voice. in the end any video clips are just great to have.
Bye all and happy Easter,
Anthony

PostPosted:Fri Apr 14, 2006 0:16 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Sune Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Very interesting news about Allanīs miming. In 1999 i saw The Hollies in Blackpool

with my wife and two of my sons. After the concert my boys said that Allan must have been miming on some of the songs. We are still arguing about it .
PostPosted:Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:44 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I saw the Allan-fronted Hollies in two gigs in 1998 and 1999 and the quality of the show was noticeably poorer in 1999 versus 1998, although being only a few rows back from the front, I didn't honestly notice any miming. Perhaps there were supplementary tapes to boost his voice, along the lines ELO used in the late '70's to try and replicate their records on stage Question

PostPosted:Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
I saw the Allan-fronted Hollies in two gigs in 1998 and 1999 and the quality of the show was noticeably poorer in 1999 versus 1998, although being only a few rows back from the front, I didn't honestly notice any miming. Perhaps there were supplementary tapes to boost his voice, along the lines ELO used in the late '70's to try and replicate their records on stage Question

Speaking of tapes/miming on stage, my first encounter with that was in 1973 when I saw the New York band Stories. This was when their cover of Hot Chocolate's "Brother Louie" was at No. 1 here in the US. Anyway, they did a song from their album, "Please Please", and I'm certain that the piano sections were on tape, as keyboardist Michael Brown played on the album, but had left the band just prior to the recording of "Brother Louie". I thought it was strange that the stage went rather dark during those portions, probably to disguise the fact that it was a tape. All I know is that it sounded exactly like the record, so I'm certain it was a tape. Another way I know is a later live version of the song simply did away with the piano sections altogether, eliminating the problem!
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
davidm Post subject: Allan's voice

Allan's voice was good on the 1997/98 tours, but in spring 1999 he was struggling. At the concert I saw I think there was probably 'technical assistance' on the closing three songs. On his final tour in autumn 1999 he was in slightly better form at the concert I saw and I didn't think there was any 'technical assistance.'
PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 11:41 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It sounds like a really sad way for Allan to end with his wonderful voice on the way out. In his day it was hard to find a better singer, such power in his voice.

PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 12:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I doubt that Allan ever used tape to cover up the voice problems.
I went to a lot of shows during his last years with the group, and yes - he did have voice problems - but no, I never saw any miming, although I usually sit on row no 1 or 2.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:49 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1