graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Ex-Hollies On Hollies
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Eloise Post subject: Ex-Hollies On Hollies

I've heard Tony Hicks let on that Terry could be a real pain and that having Graham back in 1983 was "a breath of fresh air." A TV interview with Tony and Allan around that time made it seem that Terry was just a hired hand who could imitate Graham.

I've also heard from some folks that Allan had some contempt for the Hollies recordings with Rickfors, but that doesn't say that Clarke didn't like Mikael as a person.

There was interviews with Allan and Graham around the time of the box set where each of them said that the current Hollies don't seem much like "The Hollies" anymore.
PostPosted:Sat Jun 10, 2006 15:47 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin Dodd Post subject: Re: Ex-Hollies On Hollies
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Carrie Eloise wrote:
I've heard Tony Hicks let on that Terry could be a real pain and that having Graham back in 1983 was "a breath of fresh air." A TV interview with Tony and Allan around that time made it seem that Terry was just a hired hand who could imitate Graham.

I've also heard from some folks that Allan had some contempt for the Hollies recordings with Rickfors, but that doesn't say that Clarke didn't like Mikael as a person.

There was interviews with Allan and Graham around the time of the box set where each of them said that the current Hollies don't seem much like "The Hollies" anymore.

Its a shame that there is always controversy concerning the ex members, there has just in some ways been so little wrote about them, that sometimes people end up making up what they don’t know.

End of the day ex members contributions speak for themselves on the Records and videos /DVDs etc. My own view is that The Hollies have been very lucky over the years to have such a wealth of talent come and go from the band.

The likes of Terry Sylvester made a very valuable contributions to The Hollies most certainly through the eyes of long term fans eyes, which is who a band plays to at end of the day, as where would any band be without them. I don’t doubt for one moment that there may have been internal politics or a disagreement surrounding their departures, but hey who does get on with everyone they work with all the time.

So I have an open mind at the end of the day over anything I hear as regards ex members etc.

Martin
PostPosted:Sat Jun 10, 2006 16:12 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Naturally Allan felt some envy regarding the Rickfors period, since Epic Records gave the band a US tour because of the success of "Distant Light" and the two hits from it. He actually had words of praise for Rickfors, comparing his vocals to that of Scott Walker, a big compliment.

As for Terry Sylvester, Allan Clarke has said he thought The Hollies' harmonies were "sweeter" with Terry. Agreed. The vocal blend with Terry is unique and beautiful, as evidenced by the recordings. Nothing imitative about it.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:07 am

Last edited by Dennis on Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Naturally Allan felt some envy regarding the Rickfors period, since Epic Records gave the band a US tour because of the success of "Distant Light" and the two hits from it. He actually had words of praise for Rickfors, comparing has vocals to that of Scott Walker, a big compliment actually.

As for Terry Sylvester, Allan Clarke has said he thought The Hollies' harmonies were "sweeter" with Terry. Agreed. The vocal blend with Terry is unique and beautiful, as evidenced by the recordings. Nothing imitative about it.

Good comments there, Dennis. Although I like many of the Nash-era Hollies recordings, with Terry on board, things seemed to gel a lot better. I would say that with Graham in the band, he seemed to be pushing his vocals much more to the fore and was really a co-lead singer rather than a backup man.

PostPosted:Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:47 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Naturally Allan felt some envy regarding the Rickfors period, since Epic Records gave the band a US tour because of the success of "Distant Light" and the two hits from it. He actually had words of praise for Rickfors, comparing has vocals to that of Scott Walker, a big compliment actually.

Good comments there, Dennis. Although I like many of the Nash-era Hollies recordings, with Terry on board, things seemed to gel a lot better. I would say that with Graham in the band, he seemed to be pushing his vocals much more to the fore and was really a co-lead singer rather than a backup man.

That's the force of Nash's personality coming through more than anything else, I think. Remember, Nash was considered the "leader" of the band, and would always be interviewed first, or in some cases, would be the only one interviewed. And Nash was the lead singer on two of their biggest hits, "Just One Look" and "On A Carousel".
PostPosted:Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin Dodd Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Naturally Allan felt some envy regarding the Rickfors period, since Epic Records gave the band a US tour because of the success of "Distant Light" and the two hits from it. He actually had words of praise for Rickfors, comparing his vocals to that of Scott Walker, a big compliment.

Hi Dennis/All
Some intresting points there and from one of the horses mouths. I have only heard a ltd amount of stuff from the Rickfors era Magic Woman Touch etc. But yea, that’s some comment to come from Allan.

End of the day both Graham Nash and Terry Sylvester are two very different kind of talents in their field and cannot be compared. However I whole-heartedly agree with the comment on the vocal blend between Terry and Allan is very slick and tight. As you say the evidence on the recordings, such as "All The Hits Live"

They were very lucky to find someone like Terry who could hold his own within the roll he had taken over from Graham Nash and carry it forward. He also brought his own kind of touch to the overall feel of the group and he had a very good stage presence.

Although, I don’t think anything can be ever taken away from the beautiful Everley Brothers influenced style harmony’s that Graham Nash and Allan Clarke created within the group. That was and always will be the creative brand and that distinct classic vocal sound that we know as The Hollies. Tony Hicks often refers to himself as the 3rd voice of The Hollies, I presume by this he means if a third vocal lower harmony was required this is what he would do. But I think be the first to refer to himself as The Hollies songwriter/Guitarist foremost.

Martin
PostPosted:Sun Jun 11, 2006 19:00 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Graham & Allan had a friendship dating back to grammar school, so they had a lot of time to perfect their vocalizing together. Terry, from what I've read, showed up at the audition to replace Nash and declared "I'm the new Hollie!". And the rest is history. Yes, Terry had excellent stage presence plus, let's be honest, he was much better looking than Graham. And when Mikael Rickfors joined, well, has there ever been a better looking front line of a band than Terry, Mikael, and Tony? I think not.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:34 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Michaelstoker78 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Regarding Allan: In an interview with German Good Times Magazine earlier this year when "Staying Power" was released, Tony and Bobby said that they are still good friends with Allan and that he is still part of The Hollies ltd and their expert on contractual matters.

As for Allans autobiography, that one has been rumoured about for many years; I would wish he wrote one but I also think he might have problems getting a publishing contract , just as the Hollies have problems getting a (decent) record deal these days.

Regards,

michael

PostPosted:Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:43 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2