graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Mickey Dolenz cover of "Lullaby To Tim"
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Mickey Dolenz cover of "Lullaby To Tim"
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

In the early 90'a, ex-Monkee Mickey Dolenz released a children's album of bedtime songs. The album was called "Mickey Dolenz Puts You To Sleep."

On it, Mickey sings a very nice version of Lullaby To Tim, and more than one instrument closely follows the Hollies original.

Hey, I've always liked Graham Nash's work with the Hollies, and will always defend almost every thing he put down on record as a member of the Hollies.

HOWEVER, there's no question that the weird recording technique used for Lullaby to Tim is unfortunate, as Graham turned Allan's sweet song into a novelty piece. I'll always wonder what that song would have sounded like with a straight-ahead Clarke vocal.

Anyway, Mickey doesn't use any strange technique on his vocal performance, and the song sounds great.
PostPosted:Thu May 25, 2006 20:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Mickey Dolenz cover of "Lullaby To Tim"
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
In the early 90'a, ex-Monkee Mickey Dolenz released a children's album of bedtime songs. The album was called "Mickey Dolenz Puts You To Sleep."

On it, Mickey sings a very nice version of Lullaby To Tim, and more than one instrument closely follows the Hollies original.

Hey, I've always liked Graham Nash's work with the Hollies, and will always defend almost every thing he put down on record as a member of the Hollies.

HOWEVER, there's no question that the weird recording technique used for Lullaby to Tim is unfortunate, as Graham turned Allan's sweet song into a novelty piece. I'll always wonder what that song would have sounded like with a straight-ahead Clarke vocal.

Anyway, Mickey doesn't use any strange technique on his vocal performance, and the song sounds great.

Several cover versions of Hollies songs I prefer over the originals. I think The Posies' version of "King Midas in Reverse" (which opens the "Sing Hollies in Reverse" tribute CD) is an improvement over The Hollies' 1967 arrangement. On the same CD, E's slow take of "Jennifer Eccles" is really nice. I also favor Keith's Top 40 charter "Tell Me to My Face" over The Hollies' version.
PostPosted:Fri May 26, 2006 0:41 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: Re: Mickey Dolenz cover of "Lullaby To Tim"
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis wrote:
I also favor Keith's Top 40 charter "Tell Me to My Face" over The Hollies' version.

I've never heard that version but I really love the way the Hollies did it. In my opinion one of the best songs and arrangements they have ever recorded - I can't imagine this song done better by anyone else. I must listen to the cover when I find it somewhere.
PostPosted:Fri May 26, 2006 21:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Re: Mickey Dolenz cover of "Lullaby To Tim"
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:

Several cover versions of Hollies songs I prefer over the originals. I think The Posies' version of "King Midas in Reverse" (which opens the "Sing Hollies in Reverse" tribute CD) is an improvement over The Hollies' 1967 arrangement. On the same CD, E's slow take of "Jennifer Eccles" is really nice. I also favor Keith's Top 40 charter "Tell Me to My Face" over The Hollies' version.

What really stands out for me on [Sing Hollies In Reverse] is the Wondermints version of "You Need Love".
PostPosted:Fri May 26, 2006 22:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Mickey Dolenz cover of "Lullaby To Tim"
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
Dennis wrote:
I also favor Keith's Top 40 charter "Tell Me to My Face" over The Hollies' version.

I've never heard that version but I really love the way the Hollies did it. In my opinion one of the best songs and arrangements they have ever recorded - I can't imagine this song done better by anyone else. I must listen to the cover when I find it somewhere.

Keith (whose biggest hit was "98.6") made No. 37 in 1967 with his version of "Tell Me To My Face". The arrangement on his version really plays up the exotic flavor of the tune, with an India-sounding backing. Excellent cover version, worth seeking out. (The highest charting cover version of a Hollies tune, if I'm not mistaken.) You can get it on a Keith CD that's currently available.
PostPosted:Sat May 27, 2006 4:13 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks fot the info. I've looked on Amazon but I didn't find anything - just a Japanese import with no tracklisting and no cover picture shown but for a very high price.
PostPosted:Sat May 27, 2006 11:32 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
Thanks fot the info. I've looked on Amazon but I didn't find anything - just a Japanese import with no tracklisting and no cover picture shown but for a very high price.

The Keith CD is on the UK label RPM, called "Ain't Gonna Lie" (which was his first solo single). His two Mercury LPs are both on it.
PostPosted:Sat May 27, 2006 15:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I haven't seen that in the first place but this CD would be a better buy than the other ones I've found. Not too expensive... I'll eventually get that.
PostPosted:Sat May 27, 2006 17:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I went to a 10CC show on Friday in Lillehammer. Graham Gouldman saluted the Hollies highly, and played acoustic versions of Bus stop and Look through. I can recommend his recorded version of Bus stop on his first solo album, originally only released in the US, but now reissued on CD in the UK, The Graham Gouldman thing (Edsel).
It's a beautiful version with strings. Hollies should do a strings version sometime, too!

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sun May 28, 2006 9:28 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1