graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » "Staying Power": Is it Rock & Roll?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Beebs wrote:
I have been thinking about this for awhile...Wouldn't it be awesome if they could hire on Rick Rubens to work his magic like he did with Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond?

I was exactly thinking about that when I wrote in my review of Staying Power about hiring a well respected, famous and talented producer that would guarentee them extra attention and would push them in the right direction.

Rick Rubin would be of course a great choice because just because of him many many people who wouldn't think of listening to a Hollies album even if you donated it to them would be interested in such an album.
It was the same case with Neil Diamond - he never interested me a bit before that. I haven't bought one of his albums before and I didn't even know one of his songs but when I heard that he has recorded an album with Rick Rubin that got me interested and I bought it and like it very much.
Of course a producer like Rick Rubin would be very hard to engage but there are many others who could bring the best out of them musically and assure them attention. I really believe that they'd need an outside producer to record a great record which I'm still sure they could do.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 27, 2006 16:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
Beebs wrote:
I have been thinking about this for awhile...Wouldn't it be awesome if they could hire on Rick Rubens to work his magic like he did with Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond?

I was exactly thinking about that when I wrote in my review of Staying Power about hiring a well respected, famous and talented producer that would guarentee them extra attention and would push them in the right direction.

Rick Rubin would be of course a great choice because just because of him many many people who wouldn't think of listening to a Hollies album even if you donated it to them would be interested in such an album.
It was the same case with Neil Diamond - he never interested me a bit before that. I haven't bought one of his albums before and I didn't even know one of his songs but when I heard that he has recorded an album with Rick Rubin that got me interested and I bought it and like it very much.
Of course a producer like Rick Rubin would be very hard to engage but there are many others who could bring the best out of them musically and assure them attention. I really believe that they'd need an outside producer to record a great record which I'm still sure they could do.

The following quote was extracted from a Rick Rubin bio I just came across. Written by Jason Ankeny, the bio can be read in it's entirety by visiting www.allmusic.com.

"In 1994, Rubin produced Johnny Cash's comeback effort, like the label itself titled simply American Recordings; he also helmed Tom Petty's Wildflowers, leading to increased concern that he had lost touch with the youth market. These worries were furthered by Rubin's next major project, Donovan's Sutras. "

Is it possbile Mr. Rubin is indeed "out of touch" with today's market? Definitely something to ponder when one thinks about Rick producing the Hollies.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 27, 2006 17:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Holliesfan, I would venture to say that almost everyone reading this message board has "lost touch with today's youth market."

That is, unless we too like to crank out NSynch and Britney Spears!
PostPosted:Thu Apr 27, 2006 17:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Is it possbile Mr. Rubin is indeed "out of touch" with today's market? Definitely something to ponder when one thinks about Rick producing the Hollies.

He's definitely not out of touch with todays market. He is one of the most respected, influential and admired producers and just because he produced some older rock stars that doesn't mean he is of touch with what's going on today. Smile
And for a band like the Hollies it's completely unimportant if the youth is interested in what he's doing. The ones who'd buy their records would be older people anyway.
If "out of touch with the youth" means 14-16 people it just doesn't matter. There are many people who would be interested in an album just because it's produced by Rick Rubin. The Neil Diamond album was in the top 10 in Germany, I don't think it would have gone this high if someone else had produced it. Just because of this fact he got into lots of music magazines that normally wouldn't have written about him. So that gave him lots of extra promotion.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 27, 2006 17:50 pm

Last edited by DistantLight on Fri May 12, 2006 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

carol7cat wrote:
You cheeky devil!!!

It's just my observation....I think males get into the artistry and music, and females get into who's the cutest one in the band.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:28 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
holliesfan wrote:

He's definitely not out of touch with todays market. He is one of the most respected, influential and admired producers and just because he produced some older rock stars that doesn't mean he is of touch with what's going on today. Smile
And for a band like the Hollies it's completely unimportant if the youth is interested in what he's doing. The ones who'd buy their records would be older people anyway.
If "out of touch with the youth" means 14-16 people it just doesn't matter. There are many people who would be interested in an album just because it's produced by Rick Rubin. The Neil Doamind album was in the top 10 in Germany, I don't think it would have gone this high if someone else had produced it. Just because of this fact he got into lots of music magazines that normally wouldn't have written about him. So that gave him lots of extra promotion.

It sure wouldn't hurt for the band to get an outside producer, but they've been known for being a desert island onto themselves for a long, long time. "Staying Power" has proved to be a failure. They obviously need some assistance. Their self-production in 1972-3 of "Romany" and "Out On the Road" proved to be marvelous, but they obviously don't have it in them to repeat such a feat.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:37 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

As I said before and was then verbally abused afterwards, the production of the album really could have been improved to define the instruments much more, more of an upfront sound.

PostPosted:Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:28 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Beebs Post subject:

Dennis wrote:
carol7cat wrote:
You cheeky devil!!!

It's just my observation....I think males get into the artistry and music, and females get into who's the cutest one in the band.

I'm sure that has more to do with the ratio of male bands versus female. If women predominantly headed bands, I doubt most straight guys could avoid commenting on their other attributes beyond playing a bad-ass guitar lick...

That being said, looks mean zip-a-dee-doo-dah to me if the music is poor. Robert Plant may have drawn me to Led Zeppelin back in the 70s when my hormones first acted up, but it was the musicianship demonstrated by Page and Bonzo especially that kept me buying the records. Closer to home (i.e., this forum), that Clarkey had some major cutie-patootie moments back in the 60s is a bonus to my hetero eyeballs, but in the end the music is all that really counts.

Let's face it, I don't think we'd be seeing such an emphasis on Beyonce's so-called bootyliciousness if straight guys weren't reacting positively to it.

PostPosted:Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:22 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Beebs wrote:
Dennis wrote:
carol7cat wrote:
You cheeky devil!!!

I'm sure that has more to do with the ratio of male bands versus female. If women predominantly headed bands, I doubt most straight guys could avoid commenting on their other attributes beyond playing a bad-ass guitar lick...

That being said, looks mean zip-a-dee-doo-dah to me if the music is poor. Robert Plant may have drawn me to Led Zeppelin back in the 70s when my hormones first acted up, but it was the musicianship demonstrated by Page and Bonzo especially that kept me buying the records. Closer to home (i.e., this forum), that Clarkey had some major cutie-patootie moments back in the 60s is a bonus to my hetero eyeballs, but in the end the music is all that really counts.

Let's face it, I don't think we'd be seeing such an emphasis on Beyonce's so-called bootyliciousness if straight guys weren't reacting positively to it.

Since you mentioned them, gotta say that I absolutely LOATHE Led Zeppelin, and in particular, Robert Plant's so-called singing. More like banshee wailing. YUCK!
PostPosted:Fri Apr 28, 2006 14:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
I don't understand why they don't do an album with guitar-based songs. Forget the keyboard mush. They've got one of the great lead guitarists in British Rock history (Hicks), one of the great drummers (Elliot), and yet they insist on doing music that is bland and unexciting? What is the point? Haven't they listened to ANYTHING in the last 15 years? Bands have been rocking out. If they really wanted to be contemporary, they would do just that, ROCK OUT.

I totally agree Dennis, however I must accept that the Hollies will continue recording the type of music they feel suits them best. I for one would love to see them take a more guitar based approach to their new material...but alas, at the end of the day, it does come back to the band knowing where they do (or do not) "fit" into today's music scene.

What can we expect next, a rap album? Hip hop perhaps? There are TONS of bands TODAY that make music based around guitars. If that's not contemporary, then what is? This notion of trying to "fit in" is hogwash. Teenagers, who make hits happen, have no use for a band of The Hollies vintage, and neither do radio programmers. So why isn't the band making music for US, the actual fans? Makes no sense whatsoever.
PostPosted:Fri May 12, 2006 4:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Some valid points, Dennis.

PostPosted:Fri May 12, 2006 5:34 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
I don't understand why they don't do an album with guitar-based songs. Forget the keyboard mush. They've got one of the great lead guitarists in British Rock history (Hicks), one of the great drummers (Elliot), and yet they insist on doing music that is bland and unexciting? What is the point? Haven't they listened to ANYTHING in the last 15 years? Bands have been rocking out. If they really wanted to be contemporary, they would do just that, ROCK OUT.

I totally agree Dennis, however I must accept that the Hollies will continue recording the type of music they feel suits them best. I for one would love to see them take a more guitar based approach to their new material...but alas, at the end of the day, it does come back to the band knowing where they do (or do not) "fit" into today's music scene.

What can we expect next, a rap album? Hip hop perhaps? There are TONS of bands TODAY that make music based around guitars. If that's not contemporary, then what is? This notion of trying to "fit in" is hogwash. Teenagers, who make hits happen, have no use for a band of The Hollies vintage, and neither do radio programmers. So why isn't the band making music for US, the actual fans? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I guess you've got a point. I'm with you on the band coming back full force with a guitar based album. I was only trying to say that the Hollies themselves ultimately have the final decision on if they record, what they record and how they record it.
PostPosted:Fri May 12, 2006 11:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KingRickfors Post subject:

The danger is that if Staying Power is seen as a flop, then they might not be given another chance to record ........ such a wasted opportunity, but i doubt the band shall see it that way until it's too late ...... but i'm sure they will see it eventually !!
PostPosted:Fri May 12, 2006 17:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

dear all
who say s
the album staying power is a flop and all negatif
as a long time hollies fan (more than 30 years) i find it a very modern up to date new hollies sound given that there where no recordings officially for 23 years ore so .
and that there are new songs now let s look at the new one s and look forward to the joy the hollies have on producing a new album a for themself and b for theyr fans therefore its what they are doing it
i ve been to eastbourne the convention and the show that evening on the 1 of april and i must say the hollies are in top form also with the new songs they are showing tremendous
thats my uppinion
thanks for reading
bernard
PostPosted:Fri May 12, 2006 18:47 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

KingRickfors wrote:
The danger is that if Staying Power is seen as a flop, then they might not be given another chance to record ........ such a wasted opportunity, but i doubt the band shall see it that way until it's too late ...... but i'm sure they will see it eventually !!

How will we ever truly know if Staying Power is a success or. as you put it, a flop? Does the band receive any input from EMI as to the album's progress?
PostPosted:Fri May 12, 2006 19:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next