graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Staying Power
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I must disagree with you about that, Dennis. Although they do nothing that the Beatles haven't done 30 years ago they wrote some great songs and the first and last two albums are worth hearing. I'm not one of their biggest fans but I like some of their music, "What's The Story(Morning Glory" is in my opinion their best album and worth hearing also for Hollies fans.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:47 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yup, well said.

PostPosted:Mon Apr 24, 2006 15:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Cathy60 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I have Staying Power and I love it, I felt funny at first listening to Peter's voice instead of Allan Clarkes's but after I played it a few times I got used to it, Peter has a really excellent voice. Even my Daughter Holly (who isn't a Hollies fan) likes the album. Smile

Anyway my favourite tracks are Emotions, Hope, So Damn Beautiful, Shine On Me and Suspended Animation.
Very Happy

Rating - 10 out of 10.

Catherine
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:43 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I agree totally!!
Peters voice is fab and gives a new younger feel to The Hollies!!!
Dennis, you said it all!!!
Great message Oasis send out to kids today,not!!!!
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:35 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

carol7cat wrote:
Great message Oasis send out to kids today,not!!!!

So here they are again, the parents worrying about their children getting spoiled by a rock band. We had that many times in the history of rock but Oasis do nothing more than the likes of the Rolling Stones, The Who or John Lennon have done 30 or 40 years ago, not to mention musicians like Alice Cooper. And what about all the drugs that those famous musicians took and had no problem to admit it in public. Was that a better influence for the children?
But all these things are a to some extent part of "Rock'n'Roll". In the '60s parents feared bands like the "Pretty Thing" and today the same people wo were kids then and listened to those bands and rebelled against their parents want to protect their children of Bands like "Oasis". (And it's not that Oasis are only known for beating people up... how many times happened this? They are a pretty harmless band - and wasn't it Keith Moon, among many others, who destroyed a hotel room with an axe in the '60s or '70s?).
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

With all due respect when you are mature enough to have kids then you will understand the concerns of parents towards their children.
It is called responsible parenting!!!!
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

carol7cat wrote:
With all due respect when you are mature enough to have kids then you will understand the concerns of parents towards their children.

I couldn't have put it better myself!

I think it's just a pity that some of these rock stars didn't grow up nor mature before they had children themselves.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 13:14 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
joannelaing Post subject:

Well said Carol7cat and Shelley!!

I've got 2 boys and would be horrified if they followed the example set by Oasis etc.

As it happens they both love Staying Power and my 7 year old is pestering me non-s
top to take him to a Hollies concert. Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 13:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

joannelaing wrote:
Well said Carol7cat and Shelley!!

I've got 2 boys and would be horrified if they followed the example set by Oasis etc.

As it happens they both love Staying Power and my 7 year old is pestering me non-s
top to take him to a Hollies concert. Very Happy

Joanne my son is the opposite, he's now 13 and moans if I play Staying Power more than once and when I tell him I am going to a Hollies concert the first thing he says is 'I'm not going'.

Hopefully I am doing a good enough job with him that he won't see the likes of Oasis and The Rolling Stones etc. are good examples.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 14:30 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

carol7cat wrote:

I knew that you weren't able to answer my post normally - what else could I expect? Aren't you able to put your opinion forward normally? (And by the way all those exclamation marks (!!!!) won't make your answers stronger)

I believe it's completely unnecesary to be concertned about children because they like some rock bands! What do you think will your kids do? They won't follow their favorite rock stars in every way and get bad habits because of them. Just because someone likes Oasis he won't beat people up and think that this is the best way to communicate. Maybe there are kids who want to be like their favorite rapper and think it is cool to take drugs or behave violently but it's completely exaggerated to see bands like Oasis as a danger for kids. They should be intelligent enough to decide for themselves what is right.

...but this is getting pretty offtopic I think Shocked
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 15:04 pm

Last edited by DistantLight on Tue Apr 25, 2006 16:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
carol7cat wrote:

I knew that you weren't able to answer my post normally - what else could I expect? Aren't you able to put your opinion forward normally? (And by the way all those exclamation marks (!!!!) won't make your answers stronger)

I believe it's completely unnecesary to be concertned about children because they like some rock bands! What do you think will your kids do? They won't follow their favorite rock stars in every way and get bad habits because of them. Just because someone like Oasis he won't beat people up and think that this is the best way to communicate. Maybe there are kids who want to be like their favorite rapper and think it is cool to take drugs or behave violently but it's completely exaggerated to see bands like Oasis as a danger for kids. They should be intelligent enough to decide for themselves what is right.

...but this is getting pretty offtopic I think Shocked

But there are kids and adults out there who do think it's ok to follow their idol in every way.

Depending on how old the kid is, no he/she cannot be intelligent enough to decide for themselves what is right and what is not.

Some children/teenagers out there do actually believe that if they see their favorite rock/pop star or even soap star taking drugs or being drunk and silly in the street that is ok for them to do so as well.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 15:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

carol7cat wrote:

Could you please stop slinging insults, Carol Rolling Eyes

In all honesty, if we are going to start going on about the moral fibre of our children being eroded by bands such as Oasis, what do you have to say about R&B 'bands' such as Pussy Cat Dolls (their latest song 'beep' leaves very little to the imagination), then 'boy-bands' as well as 'girl groups' who basically use sex to sell records? Unfortunately, any innocence that there once was has been blown out of the window and I doubt very much that this can be renewed. Nor is it advisable to wrap a child in cotton wool, it is simple to provide the pro's and con's of certain options, the consequences and enable the child to make an informed choice.

Being a secondary school teacher, I feel that I could comment on lots of aspects of our youth culture. Unfortunately, there are many kids who come from what would outwardly look like a reasonable middle-class family with 'responsible' parents, and they are obnoxious brats to say the least - such parents which will not accept that their children have done wrong.

In my formative secondary school years, I listened to lots of Oasis records, thought they were the best band on the planet at one stage, read about all their exploits and thought to myself these people are scum and did not follow their example (not that I had much scope for hitting celebrity photographers or dating film-stars!) I think it's all too convenient to label bands/people as dangerous influences on children.

What was this topic about again?! Laughing

PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 16:00 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

James Towill wrote:
In all honesty, if we are going to start going on about the moral fibre of our children being eroded by bands such as Oasis, what do you have to say about R&B 'bands' such as Pussy Cat Dolls (their latest song 'beep' leaves very little to the imagination), then 'boy-bands' as well as 'girl groups' who basically use sex to sell records? Unfortunately, any innocence that there once was has been blown out of the window and I doubt very much that this can be renewed.

You're right there!

Then there's the songs and adverts that have swear words all the way through them and that Lilt advert that poured Lilt all over the 'ladies' Surprised .
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 17:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

When you read the post properly James you will see that DL actually started the conversation by dictating to me wether or not I had the right to feel that groups like this were a bad influence on my children!
When either of you become parents maybe then you will see where I am coming from.!

I am not damming their music, just their behaviour.; Crying or Very sad
I am no saint, believe me when I say I had done some daft things in my youth, which was not that long ago but I am trying to do the right thing by my kids !
Believe me when you are a parent you will know what I mean.

Shelly, your posts are spot on, there are kids who think it is ok to take drugs, swear etc because they see their idols doing it!

That is why I like The Hollies!
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 20:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

carol7cat wrote:
When you read the post properly James you will see that DL actually started the conversation by dictating to me wether or not I had the right to feel that groups like this were a bad influence on my children!

Dictating? Laughing

You're such a funny person! I can do nothing but laugh about such posts...
PostPosted:Tue Apr 25, 2006 20:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next