graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Blowin' In The Wind Live 1969
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Blowin' In The Wind Live 1969
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Does anyone know about the origin of this recording? Was it issued on some German album or CD? Allan Clarke's vocal is extraordinary.

Thanks

Michael
PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think I've heard about this, is it not with the Munich Philharmonic or something? Maybe a promo for the Dylan album?

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:16 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

This is probably the version you are talking about recorded March 14, 1969 at Mitscnitt der vffentlichen, Berlin the the Paul Kuhn Orchestra

It was released on the LP Gala Abend der Schallplatte POP 1969 SFB/AGS TST 76266

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Mon Jan 30, 2006 14:30 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Completist that I am, I have to ask if this is available on CD.
PostPosted:Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:40 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I love The Hollies' version of "Blowin' In the Wind". It's so over-the-top and nutty you can't help but love it.
PostPosted:Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:39 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

OK, so while surfing on the Magic Records site, I stumbled across this:

THE HOLLIES « Sing Dylan »
CD digipak 6 pages 15 tracks) - 15,00 € – CD n° 3930540

Tracks list: When The Ship Comes In / I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight / I Want You / Wheels On Fire / I Shall Be Released / Blowin’ In The Wind / Quit Your Low Down Ways / Just Like A Woman / The Times They Are A-Changin’ / All I Really Want To Do / My Back Pages / Mighty Quinn /

BONUS TRACKS : Bowin’ In The Wind (Graham Nash version) / The Times They Are A-Changin’ (Graham Nash live version) / Blowin’ In The Wind (Rare live version).

Can I assume that the final track on this CD is the song that this thread is discussing? I'm sure that I don't own this, unless the Dylan bonus track is the same performance that was "Live From Mainz" or whatever that track was from yet another compilation CD that I bought some years ago.[/img]
PostPosted:Tue Mar 21, 2006 21:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I would say that this is the discussed recording but I don't know about a live recording from Mainz so it's possible that if such a recording exists that it's also the Mainz version on the CD. Maybe someone owns this CD from the forum members? But maybe we are also talking about the Mainz live version and not the one from from Berlin?

Does anybody know which songs they played live from the Dylan album? And do maybe some other recordings exist?
PostPosted:Wed Mar 22, 2006 14:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
I would say that this is the discussed recording but I don't know about a live recording from Mainz so it's possible that if such a recording exists that it's also the Mainz version on the CD. Maybe someone owns this CD from the forum members? But maybe we are also talking about the Mainz live version and not the one from from Berlin?

Does anybody know which songs they played live from the Dylan album? And do maybe some other recordings exist?

DL, first off, I am not even sure what "Mainz" actually is! Just call me an undereducated American, I guess.

Anyway, I was talking about a compilation CD that included a version of Blowin' In The Wind and Write On. I have no idea when those songs were recorded, but since Write On is included, we know they were created long after 1969!

http://www.popmusicinfo.com/show_record.php?search_word=&radio_search=&record_id=12016

The above link has the tracks on the CD that I'm talking about, a German release titled "Twenty Years." I think that the photo on the cover is the picture from the back of the Buddy Holly album, with the five lads shown in profile.

Anyway, that CD has those two live recordings. Since you like concert recordings, maybe you should seek that disc out, although I don't know if it's still in print.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 22, 2006 21:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Crossie Post subject:

SpartyScott wrote:

DL, first off, I am not even sure what "Mainz" actually is! Just call me an undereducated American, I guess.

Anyway, I was talking about a compilation CD that included a version of Blowin' In The Wind and Write On. I have no idea when those songs were recorded, but since Write On is included, we know they were created long after 1969!

SpartyScott, "Mainz" is actually the name of a city ! Shocked
It's the capital of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate in the southwest of Germany.

The Hollies played a big carnival show in Mainz on Feb 23rd 1982. It was one of the very first Hollies shows with Alan Coates.

Two of the songs ("Write on" and "Blowin' in the wind") from the show later turned up on a compilation called "20 Years"; despite plans and various rumors over the years the other songs have not been officially released yet. Evil or Very Mad

But since the show in its entirety was braodcast live on radio (and therefore taped by fans Wink , it's not too difficult to get hold of the rest of the set.

Hope this helps
Frank
PostPosted:Wed Mar 22, 2006 23:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

OK, I think I have this figured out -- this "Blowin' In The Wind" is the same performance that's captured on the shoddy rip-off bootleg "In A Spin," correct?

Wasn't "Dear Oak Tree" performed on that same program?
PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 14:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

If that's the case, I'm sure it's the Mainz version.
Gordon J
PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 19:25 pm

Last edited by GordonJ on Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject: Blowin´
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think there are at least 4 live-recordings of Blowin` in the wind:

1. Live from Mainz 1969, according to Polydor-cd-ep named He ain´t heavy..
2. In a spin-bootleg, recorded 1969.
3. Gala Abend der Schallplatte POP 1969 (recorded March 14th)
4. 20 years-cd.

I don´t know if any of these are identical. I´ll really have to listen... But I´m quite sure that the version on In a spin is not identical with the Mainz-recording as the first is live in a TV-show.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 20:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It was recorded live in Mainz in 1982 but that is not the one this thread is about. I'm referring to a c. 1969 recording which I understood to be from Germany. The Hollies are backed by an orchestra on it.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 22:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1