graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Allan Clarke solo music -- what's not available?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Allan Clarke solo music -- what's not available?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Isn't it true that just about everything that Allan ever released as a solo artists is now available on CD EXCEPT for his first album, "My Real Name Is 'Arold?" I can't think of any of his other records that aren't now out there available. Perhaps some one in the know can also let us know if all of his b-sides on his solo singles are also now on CD somwehere.

Fortunately, I have Allan's first album on LP, but it would be nice to have an official CD release of it.

By the way, if you don't have that album, try to find an old copy (or pray for a CD release). The song "Ruby" is a Long Cool Woman rip off much like Hey Willy and Curly Billy. But, I think it's better than either of those, uh, sequels. Allan certainly has an enthusiastic lead vocal -- truly one of his best performances on a rocker. The other great tune on the LP is a cover of Gerry Rafferty's ballad "Mary Skeffington." That had a beautiful vocal performance by Allan, with some fine acoustic guitar work.

Elton John fans should note that E.J. bassist from that era, Dee Murray (at least I think that's his name, I'm writing all this from memory) played throughout the record. I don't recall the names of the rest of the musicians, but they were top-notch.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 28, 2006 21:58 pm

Last edited by SpartyScott on Wed May 31, 2006 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Crossie Post subject: Re: Allan Clarke solo music -- what's not available?

SpartyScott wrote:
Isn't it true that just about everything that Allan ever released as a solo artists is now available on CD EXCEPT for his first album, "My Real Name Is 'Arold?" I can't think of any of this other records that isn't now out there available. Perhaps some one in the know can also let us know if all of his b-sides on his solo singles are also now on CD somwehere.

Scott,

yes, you're right, all LPs have been officially re-released on CD except the first one "My Real ...". There have repeatedly been rumors over the years about an imminent CD-release of his debut, but so far it hasn't seen the light of day.
Strangely there is ONE song from it which did get an official release on CD, and that is "Ruby", which turned up in 2003 on a (German only ?) Various Artists Compilation CD called "The 70s".

But there are also a couple of AC non-album tracks that have yet to appear on CD, namely "Coward by Name" (B-side of his first solo single "Losing Me"), "The Passenger" (B-side of "Shadow in the Street"), both sides AC's 1982 solo single "Someone else will b/w Castles In The Wind", and finally "Without love" (B-side of rare German-only promo vinyl single "Reasons to believe in").

These are the ones that immediately come to my mind; other Hollies/AC fans are welcome to make additions / corrections.

Hope this helps
Crossie
PostPosted:Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:37 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Does anybody know who wrote these single a- and b-sides?
PostPosted:Wed Mar 29, 2006 13:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Allan Clarke solo music -- what's not available?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Elton John fans should note that E.J. bassist from that era, Dee Murray (at least I think that's his name, I'm writing all this from memory) played throughout the record. I don't recall the names of the rest of the musicians, but they were top-notch.

I think Tony Newman also played on the album (drums) but I may be wrong.

Dee is a fantastic bassist, sadly he died - I think it was in the late '80's or early '90's from cancer. He played with Procol Harum around about '76/'77.

PostPosted:Wed Mar 29, 2006 15:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Allan Clarke solo music -- what's not available?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Isn't it true that just about everything that Allan ever released as a solo artists is now available on CD EXCEPT for his first album, "My Real Name Is 'Arold?" I can't think of any of this other records that isn't now out there available. Perhaps some one in the know can also let us know if all of his b-sides on his solo singles are also now on CD somwehere.

Fortunately, I have Allan's first album on LP, but it would be nice to have an official CD release of it.

By the way, if you don't have that album, try to find an old copy (or pray for a CD release). The song "Ruby" is a Long Cool Woman rip off much like Hey Willy and Curly Billy. But, I think it's better than either of those, uh, sequels. Allan certainly has an enthusiastic lead vocal -- truly one of his best performances on a rocker. The other great tune on the LP is a cover of Gerry Rafferty's ballad "Mary Skeffington." That had a beautiful vocal performance by Allan, with some fine acoustic guitar work.

"Ruby" is spoiled by the horn section. The song itself is nothing special; certainly not in a league with "Hey Willy", "Long Cool Woman" or "Curly Billy" by a longshot. "Nature's Way of Saying Goodbye" would have made a much better single from that LP. I'm referring to the US and Canada, where "Ruby" was issued as a single (with "Baby It's Alright With Me" on the flipside. I have the Canadian Epic stock copy. I've never found a US stock copy, only a mono/stereo promo). "You're Losing Me" was the single in the UK, with the non-LP "Coward By Name" on the B-side.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 29, 2006 19:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
davidm Post subject: Reasons to Believe (1990)

Allan released seven solo albums. Five are now on CD. The exceptions are his first one, mentioned above, and also his last one. Reasons to believe was released in 1990 but only in Germany.

Can anyone who has heard this one provide a review please.
PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 11:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

"Mary Skeffington." That had a beautiful vocal performance by Allan, with some fine acoustic guitar work.
Castles In The Wind",
Mary Skeffington would have to be one of Allan's best solo numbers, just beautiful.
I have a copy of Allan's first LP but it's seen better days. Castles in the wind is just another great number.

PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 12:39 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Just to update this, "My Real Name Is 'Arold" is now available on CD through Magic Records.

Alas, for some reason Magic Records inexplicably failed to include Coward By Name.

http://www.magic-records.com/boutique_us/liste_produits.cfm?type=313&code_lg=lg_us&num=0

ALLAN CLARKE « My Real Name Is ‘Arold » CD n° 3930856 (Jewel case 11 tracks)

POUR LA PREMIERE FOIS EN CD / FIRST TIME IN CD

Premier album en solo de l’exceptionnel chanteur des HOLLIES en 1972. Cet album est une totale réussite après l’incomparable succès « Long Cool Woman » avec les Hollies l’année précédente.FANTASTIQUE ALBUM
First solo album of the exceptional lead singer of the Hollies. This album is a complete success after the incomparable hit “Long Cool Woman” with the Hollies the previous year. FANTASTIC ALBUM !

Include :
RUBY
MARY SKEFFINGTON
BABY IT’S ALRIGHT WITH ME
MOONSHINE WHISKEY
NATURE’S WAY OF SAYING GOODBYE
YOU’RE LOSING ME
LET US PRAY
PATCHWORK QUILTS
WALPURGIS NIGHT
BRING ON YOUR SMILES

BONUS : OH! GRANNY (With The HOLLIES)