graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It still may see the light of day...stranger things have happened. Laughing

PostPosted:Fri Mar 24, 2006 17:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:
Bloody hell, an original version Shocked of the Out On The Road LP Shocked - that sure is a collector's item. If I remember correctly they go for anything between £40 and £80. I think I've also seen one for over £100 Question Treat it well!

In my opinion, this is also the best album cover the band used, shame it was restricted to a few countries. Distant Light and Romany also had good covers, as did Hollies Sing Hollies and Hollies Live Hits...but there's something particularly sophisticated about OOTR.

Let me know what you think of Judas River if you get it - I got my copy from a seller on www.gemm.com

Ironic, isn't it? "Out On The Road": the album that has one of the best covers is also one of their best albums, and it is the only album in their catalogue that is unavailable on CD. And we wonder why The Hollies get so little respect in comparison to other British Invasion greats.

Well, I don't think that the Hollies made the call on that one. That one's the record company's fault.

As to why it's not coming out today, I can't address that. Do Hicks & Elliott own the rights to that album? And, can those two get the album released if they even want to do so?

Of course, the Hollies/record company are missing the boat on this album, considering the bootleg of the album sounds professional and so most people who really want the songs from Out On The Road have now got them.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 24, 2006 17:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Bobby, from what he's said elsewhere, would probably be quite happy for the album to disappear from the radar. You would think that his opinions might be altered slightly by the inclusion of 'Jesus Was A Crossmaker' in the 'Elizabethtown' film and the successful inclusion of The Baby in the live set since the Carl Wayne days, these two songs showing just how resilient the songs from the Rickfors period are.

This is kinda returning to the thread elsewhere about bootlegs. I for one would rather pay for even a limited edition run of this album if it came fully remastered with bonus tracks and a booklet. It's a cracker and I'd gladly pay £20 - £30 quid for it.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 24, 2006 20:11 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Bobby, from what he's said elsewhere, would probably be quite happy for the album to disappear from the radar. You would think that his opinions might be altered slightly by the inclusion of 'Jesus Was A Crossmaker' in the 'Elizabethtown' film and the successful inclusion of The Baby in the live set since the Carl Wayne days, these two songs showing just how resilient the songs from the Rickfors period are.

This is kinda returning to the thread elsewhere about bootlegs. I for one would rather pay for even a limited edition run of this album if it came fully remastered with bonus tracks and a booklet. It's a cracker and I'd gladly pay £20 - £30 quid for it.

You're absolutely right, James. The Rickfors period produced some of their finest work ever, no doubt about it. "The Baby" has always been a favorite, although I haven't a clue as to what it's about! Confused It just sounds good. Same with "Jesus Was A Crossmaker". Abstract lyrics always intrigue me.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:09 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I definitely know what JWAC is about, I think I wrote about it in a post way back (information came from the sleevenotes of Judee Sill's eponymous first album). If you can't find it I'll write a synopsis again.

Yes, the lyrics to The Baby have always intrigued me too, any thoughts?

PostPosted:Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:08 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think Jesus Was A Crossmaker stems from a folk notion that Jesus, being a carpenter at some point made crosses for people to be crucified upon or contributed to their making. I'm not sure where this comes from but it may be an idea from the early centuries after the death of Jesus and possibly fits in with some of the conflicting gospels etc. from the period.

For a pop example of it, there is a scene in The King of Kings (1927) by Cecil B. DeMille in which Jesus unwitingly helps in the making of a cross and is then horrified when he realises.

So the basic theme is even Jesus wasn't perfect, he made crosses too. Hence, "He's a bandit and a heartbreaker BUT Jesus was a crossmaker."

I think I read a comment somehwere by Sill saying how it was about this dual nature within us.

I always thought The Baby was a pretty straight tale of a child out of wedlock fitting in with Chip's risque Angel of The Morning.

Michael
PostPosted:Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:31 am

Last edited by MichealC on Sat Mar 25, 2006 14:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

MichealC wrote:
I think Jesus Was A Crossmaker stems from a folk notion that Jesus, being a carpenter at some point made crosses for people to be crucified upon or contributed to their making. I'm not sure where this comes from but it may be an idea from the early centuries after the death of Jesus and possibly fits in with some of the conflicting gospels etc. from the the period.

For a pop example of it, there is a scene in The King of Kings (1927) by Cecil B. DeMille in which Jesus unwitingly helps in the making of a cross and is then horrified when he realises.

So the basic theme is even Jesus wasn't perfect, he made crosses too. Hence, "I'm a bandit and a heartbreaker BUT Jesus was a crossmaker."

I think I read a comment somehwere by Sill saying how it was about this dual nature within us.

I always thought The Baby was a pretty straight tale of a child out of wedlock fitting in with Chip's risque Angel of The Morning.

Michael

Michael & Others - Not sure if these lyrics will shed any light on what "Jesus Was A Crossmaker" is all about. I guess it still remains open for personal interpretation.

(SILL)
Sweet silver angels over the sea
please come down flying low for me
One time I trusted a stranger
'cause I heard his sweet song
And it was gently enticing me
though there was something wrong
When I turned he was gone
Blinding me his song remains reminding me
he's a bandit and a heartbreaker
Oh but Jesus was a crossmaker
CHORUS
He wages war with the devil
a pistol by his side
And though he chases him out my window and
won't give him a place to hide
He keeps his door open wide
Fighting him
he lights a lamp inviting him
He's a bandit and a heartbreaker
oh but Jesus was a crossmaker
CHORUS
I hear the thunder come rumbling
the light never looked so dim
I see the junction get nearer
and danger's in the wind
and either road's looking grim
Hiding me I flee desire's dividing me
He's a bandit and a heartbreaker
Oh but Jesus was a crossmaker
Yeah but Jesus was a crossmaker
PostPosted:Sat Mar 25, 2006 13:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

This is from the Rhino Handmade edition (2003) of Judee's first album (which features not only the original version of JWAC, but a home demo and a live version from a warm-up gig she was doing for none other than Crosby and Nash):

"Despite the Christian image, this composition [JWAC] was definitely inspired more by heart-breaking romance - reputedly with singer-songwriter J D Souther - than by her religious musings. ...she read The Last Temptation of Christ by Nicholas Kazantzakis, a writer who 'touches my heart more than any other author ever touched my heart' and in it learned that Jesus was a cross maker. She somehow combined that notion with thoughts of a bandit and a heartbreaker and through the songwriting process was 'able to forgive the guy for the horrible romantic bummer he put me on'. 'There's such a flood on the market and what people dont realise is that my song isn't really about Jesus at all; it's about the bandit and the heartbreaker'. she said 'Jesus as a cross maker serves as a sideline ramification...I wrote the song to reconcile my lust and my divine love'".

PostPosted:Sat Mar 25, 2006 17:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It's a fascinating song. Funny how Graham Nash produced Sill's original, and The Hollies ended up recording it. I have the promo single of "Jesus.." by Sill; have to say The Hollies do it much better. I just never warmed up to singer/songwriters. I've always preferred bands.
PostPosted:Sun Mar 26, 2006 0:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I wouldn't say I'm a great fan of singer-songwriters either, but Judee's first album is very good.

PostPosted:Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Has any thread ever veered more off-topic than this one?

Of course, if someone posts the album cover photo of Judee Sill's LP and says that it's the best ever, then all will be forgiven. Laughing
PostPosted:Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Has any thread ever veered more off-topic than this one?
Laughing

It's called 'Evolution of a Thread' Laughing Wink

PostPosted:Sun Mar 26, 2006 16:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KingRickfors Post subject:

Nice to see that Badfinger's fantastic Straight Up album getting it's superb cover shown on this thread ...... such a shame that 3/4 of that band are no longer with us !
PostPosted:Sun Apr 23, 2006 19:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2