graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Staying Power
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
voxac30 Post subject: Staying Power

Got my cd, only problem is the EMI cd is copy protected therefore i cannot rip it to put on my mp3 player, and it will not play properly on my portable cd player. Anyone else had the same problem.
It's a brilliant album.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 20, 2006 23:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Staying Power
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I must admit playing Staying Power had a better sound on my cd micro system than it did on my portable stereo, which normally does play cd's very good.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 20, 2006 23:43 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It's got a relatively flat sound in any case (production), I had to crank a few effects into my hi-fi to get it sounding decent.

PostPosted:Tue Mar 21, 2006 16:25 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Chirpy Post subject: Staying Power
Banjo

Banjo

I used Winamp to rip it - it now sits quite happily on my iRiver - I'm glad mp3s don't suffer from overuse...if they did, Shine On Me would be worn out!

Cheers,
Chirpy
PostPosted:Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:41 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have a CD Player, Cassette Player and Radio in one and Staying Power sounds great on the CD Player, It also sounds good on my walkman too. Very Happy

Susie

PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

James

The CD was mastered in one of the finest cutting rooms in the world at Abbey Road Studios and sounded absolutely fine to professional technicians and musicians alike.

So, before taking another of your regular cheap snipes, this time at the ‘flat production’, maybe you ought to take a look at your own personal stereo system – which can never match up to that at Abbey Road.

Or, maybe it’s your own personal taste that needs to crank up the tonality.

If there’s anything lacking, the problem will certainly be at your end – not at Abbey Road.

Consumer systems, no matter how good or expensive, can never compare with the professional equipment and listening environments that are used in mastering to ensure that records sound their best on the majority of systems that are available.

Staying Power sounds great in my main stereo system and only slightly different in one or two others around my house. It also sounds great on my iriver.

Whilst you may think you have a "technical" knowledge of the composition of songs or music, most listeners only want to hear the overall sound and like what they hear.

There has to be a benchmark, and in this case (and rarely ever), it is not in Scotland.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Speaking as a non-techie, I can tell you I rarely have any complaints about Hollies songs as far as the way they were recorded, although I confess I'm still puzzled by that hop into and out of stereo on the song "I Can't Let Go."

Anyway, I bought that one single that came out before the album release date. I confess that I'm not blown away by the song, but the new guy has a pleasant voice, and I expect that I'll play the two songs every now and then. As far as the quality of the mastering/engineering goes, though, I have no complaint.

What surprises me about the CD is the steep price that Internet record stores are charging. Twenty bucks-plus is pretty expensive for a single CD. But, maybe I'm just too used to shopping at the discounters these days. After all, I don't buy much current music, so I can pick and choose stuff on sale of the groups I like and don't yet own everything by (The Guess Who, the Troggs, stuff like that).

I've sent a link to the Staying Power CD available on a record store site to my wife, along with a suggestion that it would make a fine birthday present for me in May. Laughing We'll see if she takes the hint!

One quick question -- does Tony Hicks have a lead vocal on the new album?
PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 16:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

That's me told then. Perhaps in a less dictatorial/condescending fashion would have been more pleasant. And, for your information, it wasn't another of my 'cheap snipes' as you call it, just a comment however yet again it would appear that anyone who goes against the grain on this site is either banned, 'reprimanded' or their posts deleted.

PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 17:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:
One quick question -- does Tony Hicks have a lead vocal on the new album?

Unfortunately not as far as I know. And one can't recognize him in the harmony vocals as well.

Quote:
So, before taking another of your regular cheap snipes, this time at the ‘flat production’, maybe you ought to take a look at your own personal stereo system – which can never match up to that at Abbey Road.

Quote:
There has to be a benchmark, and in this case (and rarely ever), it is not in Scotland

Pretty offensive remarks in my opinion!
PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 17:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
Quote:
There has to be a benchmark, and in this case (and rarely ever), it is not in Scotland

Pretty offensive remarks in my opinion!

I'm sure the people who have booked up to attend one of the forthcoming shows in Scotland would be rather aggrieved to read such an offensive, verging on racist comment. I honestly cannot believe that anyone who is apparently an ambassador for any organisation can justify posting comments such as this!

PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 18:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Yes, James, that's told you then.

This thread was about voxac30 not being able to rip the album to his mp3 player and a problem with the album playing not the quality of it but you just had to have another go at it with your comments "relatively flat sound in any case (production),".

You made it clear even before the record was released that you were not going to like it and have had a go at it on several threads since.

This forum is for the promotion and appreciation of The Hollies, past present and future.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, are not happy with the way I want the forum to run and feel I am being "dictatorial/condescending" or offensive, please feel very free not to visit it.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 18:18 pm

Last edited by hollies on Thu Mar 23, 2006 19:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

hollies wrote:
Yes, James, that's told you then.

This thread was about voxac30 not being able to rip the album to his mp3 player and a problem with the album playing not the quality of it but you just had to have another go at it with your comments "relatively flat sound in any case (production),".

You made it clear even before the record was released that you were not going to like it and have had a go at it on several threads since.

This forum is for the promotion and appreciation of The Hollies, past present and future.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, is not happy with the way I want the forum to run and feel I am being "dictatorial/condescending" or offensive, please feel very free not to visit it.

You really are incredible, Rob! What consitutes as 'having a go'? As a much bigger concern than The Hollies, I'm a fan of the rock band Rush - their last studio album is universally recognised amongst critics as having a 'flat sound' so much so that it is due to be remastered and it was only released in 2002! It is constructive criticism. Several other people have made similar comments about the album both on here and to me in private email correspondence, I'm sure not all of them are tone deaf or listen to the album on a non-top-of-the-range music system.

Your final comment still remains plain offensive.

PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 18:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:
It is constructive criticism.

Right! That's a very important thing you've got to realize, Rob! There's a huge difference between constructive criticism and just "dissing" a band/artist. We are all here because we are fans of the Hollies and we definetly are not interested in insulting them.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 18:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

I am not prepared to spend any more time on this and will just quote from my earlier post.

Quote:
If you, or anyone else for that matter, is not happy with the way I want the forum to run and feel I am being "dictatorial/condescending" or offensive, please feel very free not to visit it.

This thread is now way off topic and locked.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 19:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1