graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » A success for the band?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Michaelstoker78 Post subject: A success for the band?
Banjo

Banjo

I wonder whether the Hollies and EMI consider "Staying Power" a success in terms of sales and public awareness.
Just bought the album over here in Germany, where the album came out last Friday. The shops I went to each did have a couple of albums, but didnīt put it in the "new releases" sections.
So far I havenīt read that "Staying Power" somehow graced the UK charts and I am sure it wonīt chart over here either. Nevertheless one would ask whether EMI initially meant to ensure a chart entry. There would have been a lot of more promotion necessary to do so, I guess. But we should remember that the last Greatest Hits compilations both made the charts, the ī93 album peaking in the top 20 and the one from 2003 making the top 30. Was there so much more promotion for those albums?
I, however, hope that in the long run "Staying Power" meets the expectations of both the band and the label, so one could hope for more. A new live album would be a good idea....

regards,

michael

PostPosted:Thu Mar 09, 2006 18:49 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I don't know if there are any chart stats out there regarding Staying Power (most album charts only go to 75) but I presume there must be up to 200 somewhere. If so, what has the album reached?

PostPosted:Thu Mar 09, 2006 22:14 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Michaelstoker78 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

James, although I very often surf British sites I havenīt found an official charts site despite TOTP which only give the top40. I guess, if the album would have made the charts, the website would surely have mentioned it.

Despite the fact that I am still an Allan Clarke follower I bought the album and think itīs great music. And if this music hadnīt been recorded by the Hollies, but by Westlife (as one reviewer suggested) it would surely have been top10!
We can just blame the well-known ill-fated promotion strategies. If I was a label boss I would have known what to make with "Staying Power"; one rarely gets quality music nowadays unfortunately...

PostPosted:Fri Mar 10, 2006 0:42 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: A success for the band?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

What really surprises me is that David Essex only sells his cd's either through his website or at his concerts, but this time has decided to sell his new one in the shops.

Look how much promotion he get's, he was on GMTV, I've seen his album in Morrison's supermarket and it's been in the adverts on tv.

It's a pity The Hollies didn't get the same treatment.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:02 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Maybe Hollies fans could fashion a petition and have it sent to EMI. Let them know we want better promotion of the album. Anyone have any personal contacts at EMI?
PostPosted:Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:06 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'm afraid with money-making machines of the likes of Robbie Williams on their books, EMI aren't going to bust-a-gut over an 'old band' if the returns aren't going to be good.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:25 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
I'm afraid with money-making machines of the likes of Robbie Williams on their books, EMI aren't going to bust-a-gut over an 'old band' if the returns aren't going to be good.

You've got a point James. I guess the saying "don't get old" still applies at EMI... Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:41 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

EMI should make the effort age is one of the reasons, when the latest John Lennon compilation album was released their was promotion ie tv advert, posters in music shops. But for The Hollies EMI have done very little, every Friday in the Daily Mail they review new films/DVD's/Albums and their was no review for Staying Power. I also wish they would release The Hollies albums just like they have with The Beatles albums as I think the fans would like to stock up on Hollies music.

Staying Power is a very strong effort from them, good ''vocans'' Laughing from Peter and it will be enjoyed by the fans for years to come.

PostPosted:Sat Mar 11, 2006 17:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1