graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Staying Power
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Staying Power
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, they told me Friday when I was there they would get 8 copies in on Monday and 8 copies in on Tuesday.

But, I'm not cheap person, I can't justify paying nearly £6.00 for a travel card and then £13.99 for the album. I would have paid £20.00 for the album, when it only cost me £9.99 from amazon.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 24, 2006 18:41 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gasoline Alley Bred Post subject:

Interesting review from Manchester Online

You can add your comments on their website.

The Hollies - Staying Power (EMI)

Paul Taylor
BLIMEY - more old dogs learning new tricks. The Hollies were, after all, the band who appeared on the very first edition of Top Of The Pops from Manchester in 1964.

Only two original members remain now, but it is still remarkable to see them bidding for another ascent of fame's slippery pole with their first studio album of new material since 1983.

The songwriter whose name looms largest in the credits is Rob Davis, the man who, with Cathy Dennis, wrote Kylie's Can't Get You Out Of My Head.

Poppy

So, naturally, this is a fresh, poppy set, full of youthful aspiration and the kind of harmony vocals for which The Hollies were always justly known.

In fact, there are times when you wonder whether these songs wouldn't fit just as well into the Westlife songbook.

Released on February 20

PostPosted:Fri Feb 24, 2006 19:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I've had a few listens to the album now and find it to be a bit of a mixed bag.

On the plus side, there are a few pretty good tunes on it - So Damn Beautiful is interesting (except for the twee use of wind chimes at the start), Break Me features some good synthesiser parts at the beginning and Yesterday's Gone is also a pleasant tune. The stand out track of the album would be Suspended Animation, and I have to agree with previous comments that it is a 'summery' tune. Touch Me, although featuring synth washes straight out of the late eighties does rock pretty well.

It's clear that the a decision was made to go for contemporary sounding songs on the album rather than anything along the lines of The Woman I Love or even How Do I Survive - afterall, we've got lyrics like '...screening your calls' and refrences to straight, gay and bi in Live It Up.

This was the first time I have heard anything from the Hollies lead by Peter Howarth and there's no doubting he is a good singer, but his voice - to my ears - just doesn't have the commanding presence that any of his predecessors had. Upon a first listen it really doesn't strike me as the Hollies - the harmonies are totally different and a little buried by the production. Much more Hicks required in an upfront manner on several tracks and Bobby's drumming needs to be more 'in your face' on some tracks.

From what I've heard the album has been getting mixed reviews even from long-time fanatics but in all honesty I would say that they have tried hard to be contemporary, whether it gels with the listener is a different matter.

Looking forward to reading more reviews.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 24, 2006 22:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:
In fact, there are times when you wonder whether these songs wouldn't fit just as well into the Westlife songbook.

Westlife Shocked ?? Is this meant to be a compliment? Me, I'm a bit scared by such comments...
PostPosted:Sun Feb 26, 2006 13:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My copy of Staying Power arrived in the mail yesterday. However, I only had a few minutes (due to a scheduled appointment), to run in the house, drop the CD in the CD player and have a quick listen to all the tracks. The songs that sounded the best to me were:

1. So Damn Beautiful
2. Prove Me Wrong
3. Live It Up
4. Let Love Pass

Of course I've yet to sit down and have a more thorough listening, but these were the songs that appealed most to me during that brief session.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 04, 2006 13:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
My copy of Staying Power arrived in the mail yesterday. However, I only had a few minutes (due to a scheduled appointment), to run in the house, drop the CD in the CD player and have a quick listen to all the tracks. The songs that sounded the best to me were:

1. So Damn Beautiful
2. Prove Me Wrong
3. Live It Up
4. Let Love Pass

Of course I've yet to sit down and have a more thorough listening, but these were the songs that appealed most to me during that brief session.

A second listen to the CD finds me adding another great song to my previous album
favorites list..."Break Me". In my humble opinion, all 5 tracks are worthy of getting into the singles charts. Overall on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) I would rate the album 9. I'm already cruising around New Jersey singing out loud with these 5.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 04, 2006 17:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I have been listening to it all this week and I think their is no bad track on it. My favorite are:

So Damn Beautiful
Break Me
Suspended Animation

PostPosted:Sat Mar 04, 2006 22:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Chirpy Post subject: Shine On Me rocks!
Banjo

Banjo

Standout song on the album is Shine On Me - driving electric guitars, great vocals with a rather splendiferous hook into the chorus (with Mr Elliott thumping his approval in the background). Absolutely marvellous.

Other songs that have impressed me are Prove Me Wrong and Touch Me. That's not to say the other songs aren't impressive, it's just taking me a few listens to settle in with the new album.

When I get to the stage when I can put the CD on 'random' or 'shuffle' and still sing along, then I'll be happy....

But in the meantime, "I was standing in the dark.........." - sorry, going to put track 5 on again!

Chirpy
PostPosted:Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:04 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It's out in Germany and they have 8 copies in my local CD-shop. But they haven't put the album into the new releases section but in the normal "Hollies"-case.
PostPosted:Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Mikey Post subject:

Still waiting for my copy to arrive, I might have to cancel the whole order and try again. Sad
PostPosted:Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:32 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I just contacted my local music store here in New Jersey. They received 10 copies of Staying Power but have already sold old. Another order has been placed for additional copies. Now that's a good news story... Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Mar 07, 2006 18:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4