graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » In praise of Bernie Calvert
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I know a little "insider" information about Bernie Calvert.

He was not a professional bass player when he was tapped by the band to replace Haydock. He had played keyboards (yes, that's him playing piano on "Pay You Back With Interest").

As many know, he had played in a group called The Dophins with Bobby & Tony before the Hollies formed.

Coincidently, Tony had suggested to Bernie that he learn the bass guitar, according to a contemporary Melody Maker article. And that's what led to Bernie becoming the new bass player for the band -- his first recording session was to record Bus Stop.

Anyway, while Ron Richards has said some pretty unkind remarks directed toward Bernie's skill on the bass, but I can say that Bernie was definitely a competent bass player, was NEVER unplugged in concert, and by all accounts is a true gentleman and all-around good guy.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sharon Olson Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

As far as Bernie is concerned,

I must say all my favorite years of the Hollies include Bernie. A coincidence? I think not! Got to love Bamfy!

Shari
PostPosted:Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:06 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

"He was not a professional bass player when he was tapped by the band to replace Haydock. He had played keyboards (yes, that's him playing piano on "Pay You Back With Interest")."

Sparty, I assume by 'professional' you mean Shari's 'Bamfy' had not actually made a living as a bass player up until he joined the Hollies. Yes, he was first off a keyboard player. But it was hardly his first time playing the four-stringer...pictures of the Dolphins show Bernie was playing bass back then.

I assume the Dolphins were just an amateur/semi-pro outfit, and most of them had regular jobs during the day, much like how Bernie was working in a factory when he got the call from the Hollies.
Bruce

PostPosted:Mon Oct 10, 2005 15:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
while Ron Richards has said some pretty unkind remarks directed toward Bernie's skill on the bass

Where did you hear this? There is quite a bit of debate about Haydock versus Calvert, both are great, but the Calvert years are far better. I'd say Haydock is a more 'natural' player than Calvert, but Bernie added so much on keyboards that he was a legend.

PostPosted:Mon Oct 10, 2005 15:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Archie G Post subject:

Sorry, Mark, I have to agree with some of the criticism of Bernie's bass playing. I am a bass player and think that Eric Haydock is a fantastic bass player, far better that McCartney ! I think that the bass lines in the Hollies records after Haydock left became much safer and easier. I very much doubt that Bernie could have handled the bass part to We're through, or Come on Back. I doubt that he would had the inventiveness to come up with the bass arrangement to I cant let go, or Here I go again. It is one thing copying a bass part, and quite another to invent it.

I agree that Bernie is more of an all rounder and he is a fine pianist. But lets clear a few things up here, he did not learn bass for the Hollies and he had been playing bass for the Dolphins in 1962. The reason he left the band was because Bruce Welch, who was producing the band in 1981, didnt like Bernie's playing and was going to replace him with a session player.

Now this is speculation on my part, but I cant see that ever happening to Eric.

What is more important in my view is that Bernie is a much better person than Haydock who is still trading of his three years of glory, while Bernie has kept a dignified low profile since his days with the band. He's a good man and may God bless him.

Archie
PostPosted:Wed Oct 12, 2005 15:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Archie G wrote:
He's a good man and may God bless him.

Amen! So I guess we can really thank Bruce Welch for splitting the band up in 1981 as per the liner notes in The Long Road Home? I would have loved to have seen Clarke-Hicks-Elliott-Sylvester-Calvert live.

PostPosted:Wed Oct 12, 2005 15:55 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject: Bernie Interview
Banjo

Banjo

Have you seen this?
http://www.sundazed.com/scene/exclusives/hollies_exclusive.html

An interview with Bernie. Quite interesting.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject: Re: Bernie Interview
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

speedwaybloke wrote:
Have you seen this?
http://www.sundazed.com/scene/exclusives/hollies_exclusive.html

An interview with Bernie. Quite interesting.

Very good, & he's talking about my favourite album too! Very Happy

Peter (hoping this message doesn't get censored like most of my messages on here...) Rolling Eyes

PostPosted:Tue Feb 14, 2006 21:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Johngill Post subject: Re: Bernie Interview
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Quote:
Peter (hoping this message doesn't get censored like most of my messages on here...) Rolling Eyes

Yawn, yawn . . .
PostPosted:Tue Feb 14, 2006 22:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic