graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » The Band Suits
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: The Band Suits
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

You raise an interesting point Peter but I thought I should move it to a new thread.

Did the lads start wearing matching suits because they went into cabaret? It seems like they were being pretty hip until Jennifer Eccles and then lost heart and started doing covers "Listen To Me" and wearing those matching suits. First came the white suits and then the navy ones! Then these weird long waistcoat type things slightly restoration in style but I don't think they lasted very long.

There is an article about The Hollies c. 1969 and it says how though the band suits might seem old hat they actually represented their professional attitude. The Hollies would never want to look like they just wore their old t shirts for a gig!

Michael
PostPosted:Fri Jan 20, 2006 21:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject: Re: The Band Suits
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

MichealC wrote:
You raise an interesting point Peter but I thought I should move it to a new thread.

Did the lads start wearing matching suits because they went into cabaret? It seems like they were being pretty hip until Jennifer Eccles and then lost heart and started doing covers "Listen To Me" and wearing those matching suits. First came the white suits and then the navy ones! Then these weird long waistcoat type things slightly restoration in style but I don't think they lasted very long.

There is an article about The Hollies c. 1969 and it says how though the band suits might seem old hat they actually represented their professional attitude. The Hollies would never want to look like they just wore their old t shirts for a gig!

Michael

I'm curious who's idea it was for them to wear suits. I read somewhere that it was Graham's idea, but this seems strange to me (I can't recall many white suits at Woodstock or Big Sur!). Was it in fact the rest of the band's idea, trying to turn things around after the relative failure of 'King Midas' & the recent albums?

PostPosted:Fri Jan 20, 2006 22:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I don't know but the whole "era" is interesting. I've always interpreted it that the band lost a bit of their will around this time o rhad their confidence knocked. I don't know. Maybe because Graham was leaving or maybe for other reasons. I'm just guessing.

As to the cabaret thing I think they liked it because the audiences would actually listen to them. They seem quiet progressive in trying to tour with an audience and talking up the Swedish folk parks and American colleges where they could actually talk to the audience. I think the guys wanted to be able to do '70s style gigs and inter act but that wasn't how things were in the 60s especially for a singles band like The Hollies.

Maybe it did show a bit of class at the time? Were many other bands wearing suits?

Michael
PostPosted:Sat Jan 21, 2006 0:11 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

If I'm not mistaken the Kinks wore suits. Just look at some of their album covers from the 60's. However, I'm not sure if they actually performed in them.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 21, 2006 14:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
If I'm not mistaken the Kinks wore suits. Just look at some of their album covers from the 60's. However, I'm not sure if they actually performed in them.

In 1968-1968???

Certainly on the cover of The Kinks' 'Live at Kelvin Hall' (1967) they were wearing brightly coloured clothing.

PostPosted:Sat Jan 21, 2006 14:19 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: The Band suits
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

At the time, I thought the Hollies looked a class act in their suits.

The other band whose suits were their trademark were The Searchers. In fact, I think they still wear them to this day (although they are probably bigger and wider now!).

Incidentally, the first time I saw the Hollies in 1967, Allan Clarke was wearing a red velvet suit. It has always stuck in my mind and I remember wanting one as well. Sadly, I never did get one!
PostPosted:Sat Jan 21, 2006 22:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject: Re: The Band suits
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

John Truman wrote:

The other band whose suits were their trademark were The Searchers. In fact, I think they still wear them to this day (although they are probably bigger and wider now!).

Incidentally, the first time I saw the Hollies in 1967, Allan Clarke was wearing a red velvet suit. It has always stuck in my mind and I remember wanting one as well. Sadly, I never did get one!

They looked very smart, but it was also the beginning of a middle-of the-road image which they've never really escaped.

PostPosted:Sat Jan 21, 2006 22:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: The Band suits
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
John Truman wrote:

They looked very smart, but it was also the beginning of a middle-of the-road image which they've never really escaped.

I wonder if you're really a Hollies fan at all. Are you sure your real name isn't David Crosby?
PostPosted:Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject: Re: The Band suits
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
John Truman wrote:

I wonder if you're really a Hollies fan at all. Are you sure your real name isn't David Crosby?

Don't be silly, Mikael... Wink

Anyway, what's your verdict on them wearing suits in 1968?

PostPosted:Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:13 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

According to Tony on Capital Gold this morning, Bobby still has the stage suits!

Michael
PostPosted:Tue Jan 24, 2006 19:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: The Band suits
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
Dennis wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
John Truman wrote:

Don't be silly, Mikael... Wink

Anyway, what's your verdict on them wearing suits in 1968?

Dear Allan: What's wrong with that? They're British, they do things with class. 1968 was the year they wore hippie threads as well. They strattled both fences.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:36 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1