graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Thanks Ray for Staying power!
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject: Thanks Ray for Staying power!
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Many thanks Ray for your writing about the creation of Staying power on this website!!

Canīt wait to hear the tracks!!
PostPosted:Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

But seriously... I look forward to hearing all of Tony's guitar licks and sounds. I'm not going to complain about the album because I know exactly what it is going to be... well produced 21st century pop and I guess that is what they wanted to make. If Bobby wants drum loops it would be pretty stupid for us to try and make him want otherwise.

It does seem every post- modern though. Everybody records their part of the album without seeing or being in the same room as the other person. I better go and listen to Music From Big Pink just to recover!

Michael
PostPosted:Wed Jan 11, 2006 20:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

'Another Night' is far too 'modern' for me......

PostPosted:Wed Jan 11, 2006 20:36 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
'Another Night' is far too 'modern' for me......

We're all different, that's the beauty of life. I wonder if this new record will attract any new fans?

PostPosted:Wed Jan 11, 2006 20:43 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:
I wonder if this new record will attract any new fans?

That's the problem. I don't think the album will attract many new fans. The goal should be winning back the old fans that haven't bought the albums in the '70s anymore. But is it a good strategie to try to sound too modern and commercial? Will that bring back some old fans or please the ones that have always been Hollies fans? Since I'm 19 years old I can't be accused of being "stuck in the past" like some people like to do when someone says something against the new album.
I listen to a lot of new bands, too although I also listen to a lot of old music. I know what people of my age (in Germany) listen to and I don't think that people of my age are interested in the type of music that I think the Hollies will do on the new album. They aren't interested in modern sounding pop. They would be more interested in retro styled earthier/rockier songs. There are lots of "retro" bands like "Mando Diao", "the Strokes" or people like "James Blunt" or the "Bright Eyes" which sound a lot like the '60s/'70s so young people could also be interested in a band like the Hollies and I know some who like a lot of the old Hollies records and songs. Most of my friends like albums such as "Distant Light" or "Romany" when I play the albums to them. Some even bought it themselves after they have heard it.
It's of course important not to be only stuck in the past for a band and reproduce the same sound over and over again but it's also not useful to try to sound as modern as possible only for the sake of being hip and trendy.
So when Ray writes in his description of the album that records today are made different than in the '70s that's of course right but it doesn't mean that you first lay down piano and synth bass (?) to a rhythm guide and than add instrument after instrument. That won't produce any live feeling. It sounds synthetic and clinical. I'm pretty sure that most young rock bands don't make albums like this. So it's not true of saying: "Today albums are made like this" - it's not right. Today you've got the possibility pf making albums like that but it's not always made like this.
For example the best album that Chris Norman has recorded ("Handmade" from 2003) is mostly played live in the studio and this album has got the energy and power that an album needs. He has also recorded different from that but at least in my opinion the results were worse. People of my age always prefered the more retro sounding "Handmade" over more modern sounding albums like "Break Away".
And since the Hollies are supposed to be a good live band they should have better made a up to date but not clinical sounding powerful album with a live feel. Of course I haven't heard the album so it can be that some of my doubts and thoughts are wrong in the end but after the descriptions I've read I think it's going to be that way.

Are there plans for shooting a video for the single?
PostPosted:Wed Jan 11, 2006 21:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I really think a single like Hope could chart. I really do. I wonder image-wise if a bunch of sixty- somethings can have a pop hit nowadays?

What Distant Light said about The Hollies "live" reminds me about all those comments Graham at the time of What Goes Around about being attracted by the liveness of The Hollies, that energy that goes on the record.

Michael
PostPosted:Wed Jan 11, 2006 22:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if this new record will attract any new fans?

That's the problem. I don't think the album will attract many new fans. The goal should be winning back the old fans that haven't bought the albums in the '70s anymore. But is it a good strategie to try to sound too modern and commercial? Will that bring back some old fans or please the ones that have always been Hollies fans? Since I'm 19 years old I can't be accused of being "stuck in the past" like some people like to do when someone says something against the new album.
I listen to a lot of new bands, too although I also listen to a lot of old music. I know what people of my age (in Germany) listen to and I don't think that people of my age are interested in the type of music that I think the Hollies will do on the new album. They aren't interested in modern sounding pop. They would be more interested in retro styled earthier/rockier songs. There are lots of "retro" bands like "Mando Diao", "the Strokes" or people like "James Blunt" or the "Bright Eyes" which sound a lot like the '60s/'70s so young people could also be interested in a band like the Hollies and I know some who like a lot of the old Hollies records and songs. Most of my friends like albums such as "Distant Light" or "Romany" when I play the albums to them. Some even bought it themselves after they have heard it.
It's of course important not to be only stuck in the past for a band and reproduce the same sound over and over again but it's also not useful to try to sound as modern as possible only for the sake of being hip and trendy.
So when Ray writes in his description of the album that records today are made different than in the '70s that's of course right but it doesn't mean that you first lay down piano and synth bass (?) to a rhythm guide and than add instrument after instrument. That won't produce any live feeling. It sounds synthetic and clinical. I'm pretty sure that most young rock bands don't make albums like this. So it's not true of saying: "Today albums are made like this" - it's not right. Today you've got the possibility pf making albums like that but it's not always made like this.
For example the best album that Chris Norman has recorded ("Handmade" from 2003) is mostly played live in the studio and this album has got the energy and power that an album needs. He has also recorded different from that but at least in my opinion the results were worse. People of my age always prefered the more retro sounding "Handmade" over more modern sounding albums like "Break Away".
And since the Hollies are supposed to be a good live band they should have better made a up to date but not clinical sounding powerful album with a live feel. Of course I haven't heard the album so it can be that some of my doubts and thoughts are wrong in the end but after the descriptions I've read I think it's going to be that way.

Are there plans for shooting a video for the single?

Some good points there. It seems to me that for at least the past 20-odd years The Hollies have tried too hard to be 'modern'. There's nothing wrong with looking backwards as well as forwards when making new music. Ask Paul McCartney or The Rolling Stones...

PostPosted:Wed Jan 11, 2006 23:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

To Dear Ray Exclamation

Thankyou for your writing on how the new album Staying Power was recorded and made, I enjoyed reading it. I have the single Hope/Shine On me and both songs are great I can't wait for the release of Staying Power so I can add it to my Hollies collection.

Love, Susie

PostPosted:Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:53 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

dear friends
as a long time hollies fan (somewhere started with the baby probebly little bit earlyer)folowed the hollies and the music they made on different occasions ,single s, albums, cd s ,fanclub, live performing, internet , let me tell you i am very yes very pleast that on the 20 of febrari 2006 the new album is coming waiting for more then 20 years that time using this time to get all the cd s from albums for wich i did not have .
and now it is as if there s a new life beginning with the forthcoming album .my point is just to be very pleast with the new and every era with hollies music has is own right every peace on record made has his right just be happy with the new thats all
greetings bernard
PostPosted:Mon Jan 16, 2006 22:28 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Cindy1986 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Dearest Ray Exclamation

Thankyou so much for your article the forthcoming album was recorded. I loved reading it. Sounds like you and the boys worked very hard with recording and putting the album together.

All My Love

Cindy
PostPosted:Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:46 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1